OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#81   IP: 63.146.24.10
Old 01-06-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTE View Post
Some people like you seem to "worry" about the existance of those teams, like you're scared that the evil John Morris will rip somebody off! face it, those players losing pay is not a big deal! pretty much NONE OF THEM is ever going to the NFL, they should all be looking for REAL jobs anyways, so why sweat it? It's just entertainment. Basically, it's a glorified rec league.

Most of the players do have real jobs. And shockingly, some players have moved up to the AFL and believe it or not the NFL. Seems like you are going out of your way to win the douchebag of the year award, and it is only early January. Getting an early jump on things?
  #82   IP: 99.111.219.81
Old 01-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Some people like you seem to "worry" about the existance of those teams, like you're scared that the evil John Morris will rip somebody off! face it, those players losing pay is not a big deal! pretty much NONE OF THEM is ever going to the NFL, they should all be looking for REAL jobs anyways, so why sweat it? It's just entertainment. Basically, it's a glorified rec league.
Tell somebody who rips up their knee in a game that the insurance coverage they were promised isn't there. I'm glad you're financially secure, but some folks can really use the few hundred/thousand dollars they get from playing. You come off like a guy who cares about no one but himself. As long as you're entertained, screw the rest of the world. I hope that's not true, but it is how you've come across here.

The bottom line in all of this is that you will not insult other users of this board, period. If you do it again, you will take a vacation from here, capiche?
  #83   IP: 96.8.166.214
Old 01-06-2012, 02:17 PM

NTE Try to give you your say, even back up your right to attend games on your terms, yet you still try to take away the rights of others to purchase tickets their way and support their team and even care. Your opinions are your own of course and you have the right to them, but the rest of us have the right to our opinions also.
  #84   IP: 199.173.225.33
Old 01-06-2012, 02:36 PM

I'm not taking anybody's "rights" to do anything away. Go purchase season tix if you want! But if you lose your money, you shouldn't complain! Same with the guy who gets his knee tore up, that's a risk HE TOOK, you know football has those sort of injuries. I dislocated my ankle in a rec volleyball league. And if those guys THOUGHT they had insurance provided by the team, maybe they should have really check up on that more closely? Face it, most people that attend these games don't live and breath it like some of you do, most of us are just people who like football and are looking for a night out, period. Maybe we can hook up at a Reapers game? I am hoping to try to catch at least one.
  #85   IP: 99.111.219.81
Old 01-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

A player may very well take that risk based on the fact that he's contractually supposed to have insurance provided to him. I highly doubt you received a deal like that in rec volleyball. When the premiums aren't paid or ownership slinks away in the middle of the night or just runs out of money, players can be hung out to dry regardless of any verification they did in advance.
  #86   IP: 199.227.205.30
Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Case in point, as in what happened to the Fairbanks grizzlies, ownership didn't pay the coach who more than deserved to be compensated after the year he had. Not to mention on an away game the players were hung out to dry and had no way back to Fairbanks and the fans had to start a mass movement to get the money to get the players back to Alaska so they could finish the season. Whether you like it or not its professional sports Sir and guys like Morris have cheapened the respectability of the game hence why your opinion is what it is.
  #87   IP: 96.8.166.214
Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 PM

If I were to attend AIF games I wouldn't buy season tickets either. But that's because I know the Morris history. If I were a player I wouldn't play in the AIF for the same reason. If I were a business owner asked to sponsor a team, yada yada yada. This sport brings a lot of money into communities around the US and its people like Morris that threaten the whole dollar value of the sport to communities. His way of doing business also does not help the sport one bit. Most in this sport have tried hard to rebuild after the NIFL and a few others, yet people like Morris keep jumping in and destroying any real progress or credibility.But with my background in the sport I think I have the right to speak out and say those like Morris ought to be banned from any sports related ventures. Do I really care, not really, but right is right and wrong is just wrong and I am a fan of right.
  #88   IP: 76.105.210.179
Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 PM

Why am I just now "discovering" this thread and reading the NTE complaint and thinking...

OCCUPY [INSERT YOUR LOCAL ARENA NAME HERE]

The joke is bound to fall flat, but at least I can serve up straight-man lobs for you guys to catch.

I do posit a thought, however. At a minor league level, the main reason to buy a season ticket would be to help ensure the continued existence of your team. I do suspect the number of season tickets (or equivalents) sold factors more into a solid guarantee of staying in town than overall announced attendance. On that note, does anyone know a FO who are massive whiz kids at inducing walkup?

Doesn't mean I'd buy a ticket to this league, much less a season ticket. Just had to be said.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107
  #89   IP: 199.173.225.33
Old 01-09-2012, 08:34 AM

I'm not talking necessarilly minor league sports, could be any sport at any level, if I can get away with going to games when I want to and can do it without a commitment up front, I do that, over commiting my time and money in advance. That way I give myself flexibility, so if I can't make it to a game, it's no big deal, I don't need to scramble to sell the tickets etc. so I don't lose MY money. Cities like Cincy or Jacksonville are probably convenient places to see NFL football as it takes little effort and no need to commit in advance to get face value tickets, but of course that has to do with the quality of their teams as much as anything. To me, if possible, I prefer not to buy season tickets, especially if the circumstances are that you can get a walk up ticket for any game anyways. My flexibility and my desire to not tie up my money in advance are priorities to my thinking.
  #90   IP: 99.111.219.81
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm not talking necessarilly minor league sports, could be any sport at any level, if I can get away with going to games when I want to and can do it without a commitment up front, I do that, over commiting my time and money in advance. That way I give myself flexibility, so if I can't make it to a game, it's no big deal, I don't need to scramble to sell the tickets etc. so I don't lose MY money. Cities like Cincy or Jacksonville are probably convenient places to see NFL football as it takes little effort and no need to commit in advance to get face value tickets, but of course that has to do with the quality of their teams as much as anything. To me, if possible, I prefer not to buy season tickets, especially if the circumstances are that you can get a walk up ticket for any game anyways. My flexibility and my desire to not tie up my money in advance are priorities to my thinking.
I don't think anyone is faulting you for your priorities. Don't fault others for theirs.