OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

View Poll Results: Will the AIFA play in 2011?
Yes 13 41.94%
No 18 58.06%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

#1   IP: 99.111.219.81
Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Will the AIFA play in 2011?

Let hear what you think.
  #2   IP: 206.174.151.159
Old 09-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Well they expanded to Reno, but is San Jose sticking around? The West would have to be thrown together AGAIN. The East has Baltimore, Erie, Harrisburg, NJ, and Fayetteville. If Erie and Balti want to leave, do Mink/Morris have the resources to enforce their non-competes in court? I could see a season played, but with only 6-8 teams at most.
  #3   IP: 206.174.151.159
Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM

i guess the Wolves are done with the return of the SaberCats
  #4   IP: 99.111.219.81
Old 09-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The Wolves are holding tryouts, but are apparently shopping around for a city. Also, Baltimore is not leaving; as of today, it's collapsing:
//www.oursportscentral.com/boar...ad.php?t=17867
  #5   IP: 96.8.152.68
Old 09-03-2010, 04:49 PM

My guess is that if there is to be a team in Baltimore it will have to be league funded or total new ownership found. To my way of thinking they will have to start from ground zero. Unlikely the government will let them have the equipment including the turf. I expect the government to seize or freeze all assets. Now my vote on a Baltimore team in any league for 2011 is unlikely. For the AIFA and this may be wishful thinking on my part, No league in 2011.
  #6   IP: 75.53.198.54
Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 PM

I still can't believe the Mariners pulled a Greenville. Sometimes a sport needs a superlative team to show people nationwide why the game is worth playing. Given the relative balance of the IFL, it was possible that the Mariners were better than any single team in the stronger league.

Still, I always thought it was odd that the Mariners never announced their regular season attendance; never gave out any numbers at all until they started to get bigger crowds in the playoffs. If it had simply been a matter of hiding cash shortfalls, then at least at the end a bankruptcy court would be trying to preserve the value of the asset to sell to a new investor. But if the team was not just bought but kept going with embezzled cash, then this investigation will have to get into every detail of operations and everyone who made the Mariners 16-0 will go their separate ways.
  #7   IP: 209.193.107.142
Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM

This may put the nail in the coffin maybe

A Potomac man was charged with wire fraud of $1.6 million from his mechanical engineering firm.

Dwayne Wells, 50, created several corporations in which he embezzled money from Ryco Associates in Laurel, of which he has been a part-owner since 2006, according to an affidavit filed in support of a criminal complaint filed in U. S. District Court in Greenbelt on Thursday.

Wells used $109,500 from 2009 to 2010 to acquire an ownership interest in the Baltimore Mariners, an indoor football team that won the American Indoor Football Association championship in July after an undefeated season. He also spent $18,000 on arena expenses for the team using Ryco funds, and approved $1,000 to the Baltimore Blast Cheerleaders, according to the affidavit.

No one could be reached from the Baltimore Mariners, and a woman who answered the phone at Ryco Associates had no comment. Calls to Wells' home were not returned.

Wells is also accused of using stolen money to buy interest in The Nest restaurant in Baltimore, travel expenses for him and his wife, and thousands of dollars to an adult-entertainment establishment in Baltimore, according to the affidavit.

Between 2008 and 2010, Wells created the Baltimore Entertainment Group, DAD Group LLC, and BRIG LLC in which he embezzled a total of $890,995. The affidavit said DAD stands for "Drinkers and Dreamers" and "BRIG" stands for "Boys Ravaging Innocent Girls."

He also authorized $441,384 in payments from Ryco to himself.

His initial court appearance is scheduled for 3:45 today.

ccalamaio@gazette.net
  #8   IP: 151.200.35.109
Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry101jlh View Post
My guess is that if there is to be a team in Baltimore it will have to be league funded or total new ownership found. To my way of thinking they will have to start from ground zero. Unlikely the government will let them have the equipment including the turf. I expect the government to seize or freeze all assets. Now my vote on a Baltimore team in any league for 2011 is unlikely. For the AIFA and this may be wishful thinking on my part, No league in 2011.
The likelihood of Mariners' equipment being seized makes a third scenario, another preexisting team moving to Baltimore with its equipment, a more viable option. What could a Harrisburg or a similar franchise do with fans now primed to support indoor football as opposed to the few fans in their current markets?

Last edited by DCAbloob; 09-03-2010 at 05:33 PM.
  #9   IP: 96.8.152.68
Old 09-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAbloob View Post
The likelihood of Mariners' equipment being seized makes a third scenario, another preexisting team moving to Baltimore with its equipment, a more viable option. What could a Harrisburg or a similar franchise do with fans now primed to support indoor football as opposed to the few fans in their current markets?
I hear what you're saying, but Harrisburg never tried to build a fan base, yet Baltimore worked overtime to build theirs. Question is if Harrisburg or the like moves in, how long will the fan base remain loyal if no marketing.
  #10   IP: 99.111.219.81
Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It took an undefeated team, a title and a front office team that worked hard to maximize exposure to finally build a fan base in Baltimore. A new team, and I believe that's probably what we're looking at, is not only going to have to start over, but it's going to have to overcome the stink from this mess. I don't believe anyone is simply going to step into a good situation in Baltimore.