OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#11   IP: 70.113.125.168
Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM

I hear ya, but I'm not sure if the team is to blame or not. Most teams send out press releases to all media outlets in a wide area around the market but few ever get any attention from the editors.

Getting out to any local event with banners, a booth, free tickets etc. is a must. Even giving away some shirts and hats is a good idea as they become walking billboards.
  #12   IP: 76.253.109.182
Old 02-16-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Diablo View Post
Getting out to any local event with banners, a booth, free tickets etc. is a must. Even giving away some shirts and hats is a good idea as they become walking billboards.
I know that if I see window decals for sale when I'm at the home opener, I'm buying one and slapping it onto my rear windshield immediately.

One thing that has me very encouraged is the Community Partner section on the site. Forming relationships with these (and hopefully more) non-profits in the West Michigan area will be very good for starting to form a positive reputation of this team. The relationships will also open the doors to some events that will help get faces of the team out into the public.

Hate to use the phrase "grassroots", for fear of sounding over dramatic, but I think that type of movement by fans will be vital. If you go to a game and have a good time, tell your friends, encourage them to come sometime. In turn, if they come and have fun, they need to tell people, and so on and so on.
  #13   IP: 76.253.109.182
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Diablo View Post
I hear ya, but I'm not sure if the team is to blame or not. Most teams send out press releases to all media outlets in a wide area around the market but few ever get any attention from the editors.
Oh yeah, I know all too well how that works. I went to school for marketing, and likely have had more than my fair share of press releases tossed right into the circle file.

The Grand Rapids Press has done a pretty good job thus far of keeping the team name in the sports section. A quick search on the web shows around half a dozen articles since December.

I do hope that the team considers buying some radio spots. Grand Rapids has two fully devoted FM sports stations, both of which are less than a year old and trying to establish themselves. I'd bet they are offering pretty competitive prices for ads.
  #14   IP: 76.253.109.182
Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM

Heard a radio spot for the team today, hope to hear more of them! The ad mentioned that there will be $1 beer and hot dogs for two hours before the game. Great idea! The other sports teams draw very well with similar promotions.
  #15   IP: 67.176.166.46
Old 02-20-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newiflfan View Post
Heard a radio spot for the team today, hope to hear more of them! The ad mentioned that there will be $1 beer and hot dogs for two hours before the game. Great idea! The other sports teams draw very well with similar promotions.
Nice to hear. I am hoping for a big crowd. Also the $1 beer and hot dogs are a nice touch. Especially since I may not have time to stop for dinner before the game. Any word on how the team is looking and who is looking good at practice?
  #16   IP: 76.253.109.182
Old 02-21-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhawkfan View Post
Nice to hear. I am hoping for a big crowd. Also the $1 beer and hot dogs are a nice touch. Especially since I may not have time to stop for dinner before the game. Any word on how the team is looking and who is looking good at practice?
Saw some stuff on Facebook about an inter-squad scrimmage last night, so I went by to check it out.

-Brad Iciek was throwing darts. He only went in for a couple series, but when he did he was spot on.

-Buddy Rivera could scramble with the best of them. Seemed to be able to throw while on the move too, which should keep the defense on their toes.

-There are a couple of linebackers that look like they could do some damage to the opponent's offense.

-If the wideouts/runningbacks can get some room to move around, they look like they could be dangerous. Of course, finding space is the tricky thing in not-outside (still not picking sides in the lame 'arena/indoor' argument) football.

By no means do I consider myself to be a great judge of talent on the football field, so take these thoughts with a grain of salt.
  #17   IP: 67.176.166.46
Old 02-21-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Saw some stuff on Facebook about an inter-squad scrimmage last night, so I went by to check it out.

-Brad Iciek was throwing darts. He only went in for a couple series, but when he did he was spot on.

-Buddy Rivera could scramble with the best of them. Seemed to be able to throw while on the move too, which should keep the defense on their toes.

-There are a couple of linebackers that look like they could do some damage to the opponent's offense.

-If the wideouts/runningbacks can get some room to move around, they look like they could be dangerous. Of course, finding space is the tricky thing in not-outside (still not picking sides in the lame 'arena/indoor' argument) football.

By no means do I consider myself to be a great judge of talent on the football field, so take these thoughts with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to Friday night. I know there are good football players on the roster but it will be interesting to see if they turn out to be a good indoor team. However, it is always a good thing to start out with talent. I am like you, I could care less what it is called and only about my favorite team winning.

I am hoping to see some updates to the web site today. It was updated last weekend.
  #18   IP: 76.253.109.182
Old 02-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Minor updates to the team website today. Looks like some more info on the coaching staff was added, including some photos:

http://www.westmichiganthunderhawks....hingStaff.html

Surprised at seeing Curt Anes on the staff. Very interested to see what he'll bring to the table.
  #19   IP: 67.176.166.46
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Minor updates to the team website today. Looks like some more info on the coaching staff was added, including some photos:

Surprised at seeing Curt Anes on the staff. Very interested to see what he'll bring to the table.
I was surprised to see that also. A Harlon Hill winner. The thing I like about bringing in coaches and players from Grand Valley State is they not only want to win but they expect to win. Winning is an attitude. Hopefully they can bring that winning attitude to the Thunderhawks.
  #20   IP: 67.176.166.46
Old 02-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

I was surprised to see that too. A Harlon Hill winner. The thing I like about bringing in coaches and players from Grand Valley St is they expect to win and winning is an attitude. I hope they can bring that winning attitude to the Thunderhawks.

Tags
ifl, thunderhawks, west michigan