OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#151   IP: 166.137.137.106
Old 06-22-2011, 01:07 PM

Also congrats to former Bluefish Wily Mo Pena, described as one of the game's gentle giants. I got to see him play last week in Reno, where he was raking! Albeit in the rarified air. In less than a year goes from Bridgeport to the Majors.
  #152   IP: 71.191.207.161
Old 06-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Wow. I remember when he played for the Nats. And Feliz name sounded familiar but I didn't put him with the phillies.
  #153   IP: 72.80.171.98
Old 07-10-2011, 08:12 PM

Default Nassau: Ducks owner to bring team to county

Newsday
Published: July 10, 2011 7:54 PM
By ROBERT BRODSKY

Nassau County is one step closer to an Expressway Series.

Long Island Ducks' owner Frank Boulton's bid to bring a minor league baseball team to Nassau was approved Friday by a committee of county officials. The choice of Boulton over a joint bid by the New York Mets and Syosset developer David Blumenfeld will be announced Monday county officials said.

I'll get you a link that's not behind Newsday's paywall ASAP.

Dave
  #154   IP: 174.28.20.250
Old 07-11-2011, 02:14 AM

That's great news!

Congrats Atlantic League.

As far as the SW, I would be willing to bet the ATL League could steal El Paso from the AA.

The town, the media, the government, is SICK of the non-competitive team they've trotted out in that town since they went independent. The Diablos are so bad they take players from the Continental Baseball League travel team last year.
  #155   IP: 193.93.37.130
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Wow, thanks for the info, Dave. I was kind of rooting for the Mets on this one. Now does this mean it's a done deal or only if the Lighthouse Project goes through?

Regarding the El Paso, I read something where folks are looking to improve the stadium but would prefer to do so if they can attract an affiliated team. The Tuscon Padres are an option there. Who knows, maybe a switch to the AL would work. It's still quite a ride though to Sugar Land. 10 1/2 hours. Again, I don't like the idea of raiding other markets, of "stealing" teams unless they're looking for a change.
  #156   IP: 72.80.171.98
Old 07-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCyclones! View Post
Now does this mean it's a done deal or only if the Lighthouse Project goes through?
We (Nassau County) get to vote on August 1st about whether or not we want to float the $400,000,000 bond for the construction. If it passes, then the ballpark will be built, if not, the whole plan is scrapped. BTW, the baseball stadium is only $25,000,000 of the total.

There isn't any "organized" opposition to the project, but a number of groups have spoken out against it. If I had to guess, it's probably running about 55/45 for the project.

Lighthouse is a fading memory. This project is essentially just a new Nassau Coliseum, the ballpark, and some commercial development.

Dave
  #157   IP: 173.68.189.132
Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 PM

It's my understanding that even if the Referendum passes it's not a done deal. NIFA still has to approve it. It's hard to believe that a County that's laying off a substantial number of Government workers and freezing wages for others has the extra bucks lying around to fund this type of project. I personally would love to see a team in Nassau(I live in Suffolk) but not at the expense of the County Employees. Long Island is a really expensive place to live and jobs are hard to come by.
  #158   IP: 193.93.37.130
Old 07-12-2011, 04:15 AM

Yeah, good point, Duckfan. How can they justify laying people off, oh but we have $400,000,000 hidden away. I think it'll get done though. LI doesn't want to lose the Islanders. They'll give the boost-to-the-local-economy lines and how it provides jobs, albeit seasonal, minimum-wage jobs. But good for the Atlantic League. I wonder how they got the nod over the Mets though.

On the City of Yonkers website it shows an expected start date of the construction on the River Park Center, with a rooftop stadium for an Atlantic League team, to begin in fall of 2011. I've learned never to trust these construction dates expected start times, but it's good to hear something about it.

Although it's only July it's interesting to see the Ducks no longer the cream of the crop attendance-wise in indy ball, despite having the best record in the league. They did recently surpass the Patriots in attendance, but still trail the Winnipeg Goldeyes by a few hundred. I wonder if it's a byproduct of the Road Warriors team joining the league, usually lower-drawing games and I personally am not a fan of those games, or could interest simply be waning this year? It is still early in the summer though. But they have a way to go to reach their yearly average of 6,000 fans per game.

I think I mentioned this already but there's a group looking to bring baseball back to AC. I don't know how realisitic it is but on the Facebook page of the Atlantic City Surf they seem to be drumming up a lot of interest. They say their first choice would be to try to get back into the Atlantic League. Can this work again? I think a short-season New York-Penn League team would be the best bet here.
  #159   IP: 72.80.171.98
Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCyclones! View Post
Yeah, good point, Duckfan. How can they justify laying people off, oh but we have $400,000,000 hidden away. I think it'll get done though. LI doesn't want to lose the Islanders. They'll give the boost-to-the-local-economy lines and how it provides jobs, albeit seasonal, minimum-wage jobs. But good for the Atlantic League. I wonder how they got the nod over the Mets though.
Remember, this whole thing is really just about keeping the Islanders. The rest of it is window-dressing. If they wanted to maximize the use of the area, you think that they would at least put in a parking garage in the plans, but no, the project will be in the middle of a concrete ocean.

But, I digress...

The inside reason why the Atlantic League was chosen over the Mets' plan was because of the Yankees. Ready for this? The Yankees would have to approve any team moving into the NY market and there were no assurances from them that they would allow an affiliated minor-league team to be placed there. Of course, the Atlantic League team was already "approved". It wasn't about money. From what I heard, the difference between the proposals was only about $200,000 a year in revenue. The County was just worried about being left with a nice new stadium and no team.

Dave
  #160   IP: 72.80.171.98
Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfan View Post
It's my understanding that even if the Referendum passes it's not a done deal. NIFA still has to approve it. It's hard to believe that a County that's laying off a substantial number of Government workers and freezing wages for others has the extra bucks lying around to fund this type of project. I personally would love to see a team in Nassau(I live in Suffolk) but not at the expense of the County Employees. Long Island is a really expensive place to live and jobs are hard to come by.
You are absolutely right. Not only does NIFA have to approve it (for those of you not in the area, NIFA is the Nassau Interim Finance Authority, a state-run group that oversees the county finances since last year because it was in such bad shape) but the County Legislature also has to approve the plan. And with the Legislature split 7-6, expect a fight.

So, even if it gets approved on 8/1, it is a long way from a done deal.

As far as the laying off of workers, while it does suck (my mother worked for Nassau County for 25 years), the $400M is a new "tax" that we have to deal with, it is not revenue that is being moved from one area to another. If the Coliseum plan had been approved a year ago, those workers unfortunately still would have been laid off.

Dave