OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 165.139.36.250
Old 06-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Exclamation 2008 IBL All*Star Game

The Gary Steelheads play the next day, June 13th too, but...
http://www.etruth.com/Know/Sports/Story.aspx?ID=452091

Quote:
"The games that count are the games that matter," Beathea said. "We're trying to win a championship, and on the 12th, we need to be getting ready for the 13th."
I hope this is more inspirational material.
  #2   IP: 71.115.3.210
Old 06-05-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
The Gary Steelheads play the next day, June 13th too, but...
Yes, but do they play the 11th, 14th and 15th also??

I'm disappointed there will be no current Express players at the All-Star game, but I understand Coach's viewpoint. I still plan to be at the game, though. Will I get booed or banned if I wear an Express shirt?
  #3   IP: 76.193.19.98
Old 06-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds55 View Post
Yes, but do they play the 11th, 14th and 15th also??

I'm disappointed there will be no current Express players at the All-Star game, but I understand Coach's viewpoint. I still plan to be at the game, though. Will I get booed or banned if I wear an Express shirt?
I'm disappointed too because there are bound to be some scouts in attendance and I personally would like to see the Express all*stars play. Oh well.

No, you won't get booed of banned if you wear an Express shirt. Gary is a very friendly city (as you may have noticed on your other trips to the Genesis Center). Much friendlier than Indianapolis. Almost as friendly as Pittsburgh. Must be all the nearby steel mills.
  #4   IP: 216.220.193.132
Old 06-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Default The REAL All -Star game is the North South Game

Seems the IBL has two ALL-Star Games? After talking with the Explosion GM yesturday in Portland the East West game is not the official game. I guess there was supose to be players from other teams in the West that were told to skip this event and just go to the North South Event???

I am really confused with the IBL this year and talking with the previous owner of the Portland team yesturday the IBL (I guess the league is running Portland this year not an owner) is really messing up on things and just telling teams and owners to like the IBL (spring league of the ABA) our get out.
  #5   IP: 71.115.87.162
Old 06-09-2008, 05:13 PM

Default Some links, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboypla View Post
Seems the IBL has two ALL-Star Games? After talking with the Explosion GM yesturday in Portland the East West game is not the official game. I guess there was supose to be players from other teams in the West that were told to skip this event and just go to the North South Event???

I am really confused with the IBL this year and talking with the previous owner of the Portland team yesturday the IBL (I guess the league is running Portland this year not an owner) is really messing up on things and just telling teams and owners to like the IBL (spring league of the ABA) our get out.
Do you have any kind of documentation on this at all? Links to newspaper articles? Any kind of website advertising this North South event? (North and South of what? The US/Canadian border? Mason/Dixon line?) Surely with all your connections you can post some kind of link for verification. The IBL website mentions only the game in Gary - unless you're referring to the "Best of the Best" game being played in conjunction with the West championship game - which isn't news, it's been part of that championship game series when it was first announced.
  #6   IP: 24.17.157.148
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds55 View Post
Do you have any kind of documentation on this at all? Links to newspaper articles? Any kind of website advertising this North South event? (North and South of what? The US/Canadian border? Mason/Dixon line?) Surely with all your connections you can post some kind of link for verification. The IBL website mentions only the game in Gary - unless you're referring to the "Best of the Best" game being played in conjunction with the West championship game - which isn't news, it's been part of that championship game series when it was first announced.
I think what he is referring to is indeed the "Best of the Best" game -- which really should be called the "Best of the Rest in the West". It's only going to feature players from the Western Conference, and I wonder how many players are actually going to participate since those playing in the championship game are of course going to sit out, and teams that were eliminated in the quarter- or semi-finals might already be headed home.

Official or not, I think the All-Star Game in Gary on Thursday is going to be the best individual player showcase this season.
  #7   IP: 216.220.193.132
Old 06-10-2008, 03:57 PM

Default Best of the BEst is changed to the North and South All Star Game

I was just checking with Brad of the Explosion and he informed me that since most of the team on the West Coast have gams Friday most teams are not sending out All Stars with the best team in the League on the East side not sending All Stars is this really an All Star game or a Best of whoever can make it?

Tacoma and my boys are playing Friday in a pivital game for the Explosion and they are sending 0 people? I wonder if Bellingham losses a game this weekend trying to go coast to coast would be interesting if they do.

I would much rather see the best players in an 8-10 team tournament play in an All-Star Game then seeing a few stars play a game with no true superstars.

I guess the Chill can send there best of the current loosing road team to the game but this is not an All Star game with 80% of the stars no going.

Here is the West Division All Stars not making the trip.. PS the best player from Bellingham Tyler Amaee is not making the trip and is the only thing that scares me against my boyz the Explosion.

David Lucas - Portland
Kenny Tate - Portland
Larry Smith - Portland
Dante Harris - Tacoma
Justin James - Everett
Donald Watts - Everett
Jamell Miller - Everett
Alex Hartman - Vancouver
Porter Troupe - Vancouver
Kevin Bloodsaw - Vancouver
Jalonta Martin or Cliff White - Hotshots
Lorenzo Rollings - Tacoma

O-- and let me say on the East Coast the five starters for Elkhart should be there also and no one is showing up...

This middle of the season all star game is a cime and should be called the best of whoever could show up and doesn't affect regurlar season standings... I would laugh to see belingham loose a game or two because they fly out to this game.

You want to see the best of the West come out to the North South game during the playoffs.. You want to see the best of the East go to an Elkhart vs Gary game... Enough said...
  #8   IP: 75.165.78.190
Old 06-10-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboypla View Post
This middle of the season all star game is a cime and should be called the best of whoever could show up and doesn't affect regurlar season standings... I would laugh to see belingham loose a game or two because they fly out to this game.
Aren't All-Star games supposed to be in the middle of the season? Putting it at the end of the season after the champion has already been crowned makes it kind of irrelevant (like the Pro Bowl).

What the IBL should have done when they were making the schedules is set aside a weekend during the season when no teams were playing just for the All-Star game.

I think what it really comes down to is most teams are too cheap to actually send their players to the game, because we've already determined that the regular season is meaningless in this league, right? Supposedly 16 out of 17 teams are going to make the playoffs, so records really don't matter unless you're that awful, awful Chinese team struggling for a playoff spot.
  #9   IP: 24.7.231.112
Old 06-10-2008, 06:33 PM

As a fan, my disappointment in the IBL is that things aren't ever set in stone. It seems that every time you turn around the Commissioner is changing his mind on something, like last years playoff debacle. The schedule for this year is horrible, and this is just another example of that. I love the Express, and see many great athletes that come into Elkhart. I just wished the IBL front office would get their act together and start running this league the way it should be run.
  #10   IP: 132.49.221.26
Old 06-11-2008, 11:18 AM

I regard that comment as a bit of confirmation of a suspicion. It's now coming from both ends of the map.

Dulilo is slipping. He's losing his touch... and maybe some control, perhaps by trying to grab more of it.

Something's not right here.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Tags
all star game, gary, ibl, ken, steelheads