OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 72.16.228.117
Old 04-12-2008, 02:41 AM

Default Windy City Soldiers

This team seems to have made a complete night and day change from last season. I mean last season they lost every game. This season they have already won 4 games. They actually have a website http://www.windycitysoldiers.com/ (sort of, it is under construction). They do have a myspace page http://www.myspace.com/windycitysoldiers If you check it out you can see a pic of there new home court (which actually has there logo and colors painted on it). I think there move to Kankakee was the best thing they could do. Being closer to Chicago is not a good idea for minor basketball. They just seem far more legitimate
  #2   IP: 71.115.6.161
Old 04-12-2008, 05:30 AM

They certainly played tough in Elkhart. The team was prepared, but I think the fans were expecting a 'walk-all-over-them blowout. I look forward to the rematch in June.
  #3   IP: 24.7.231.112
Old 04-12-2008, 07:55 AM

I agree. Windy City was a very different team then last year....I was impressed. We (Elkhart fans) won't take the rematch lightly.
  #4   IP: 208.69.65.156
Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to not so fast

The windy city team is headed up by a very outstanding young man, Barry Bradford. If in fact he had a big sposor or the right resources, he would win this league championship. But that being said, it is remarkable in what they have done.

Barry once played briefly for the Gary Steelheads, so I know he would love nothing more than to defeat his former boss Jewel Harris.

Go Soldiers!!!!
  #5   IP: 205.142.59.244
Old 04-16-2008, 10:52 AM

I heard the players on the Chicago team do not get paid. Does anybody know if that is the truth? If that is the case they are doing something special. To be competative with no pay roll is outstanding.
  #6   IP: 72.16.228.117
Old 04-16-2008, 11:36 PM

Their info on the league site doesn't say anything about that, but that is how the Seattle Mountaineers operated.
  #7   IP: 97.84.159.48
Old 04-17-2008, 05:33 AM

Default Training

Players that compete in this type of league don't always need the pay as much as they need the preparation through training. There is a perception that players are worth x amount of $$ but minor league basketball teams can't afford to pay.

Most players will not have an issue with no or very little pay if they have nice housing, meal stipends, good coaching and training situations.

The bottom line is if they can compete and train for three months hard, they would have an opportunity to showcase themselves and get a contract overseas.
  #8   IP: 72.16.228.117
Old 04-26-2008, 01:37 AM

They just keep on winning. Their court looks kinda nice:
http://daily-journal.mycapture.com/m...imageid=660536
  #9   IP: 75.3.70.225
Old 04-26-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJHankel View Post
They just keep on winning. Their court looks kinda nice:
http://daily-journal.mycapture.com/m...imageid=660536
Quote:
THE S BOX

SCORE: Windy City Soldiers 133, Las Vegas Stars 126

SCORERS: Soldiers -- Marcus Jackson (27 points), DeMarcus Bolton (26 points), Barry Bradford (21 points), Erik Rhinehart (19 points); Stars -- Eddie Shelby (36 points), Mohamed Camara (29 points).

STATS: Free throws -- Soldiers 36 of 47, Stars 28 of 39. 3-pointers -- Soldiers 11, Stars 6. Lead changes/ties -- 19/14.

SKINNY: In a back-and-forth battle throughout, the Windy City Soldiers picked it up at both ends, finally taking the lead for good with 2:30 remaining in the fourth quarter.
Look at their three-point line vs. the three point line at the Gary Genesis Center. I'm sure that is one reason why Gary blew Windy City out by more than forty points. Barry Bradford scored 21 points at home against Las Vegas, but looked uncomfortable shooting against Gary. He threw up enough bricks to build an office building. I mean, he took some ugly shots from beyond the arc. I don't know if he got ANY points that night. Nice guy though.

I like the town of Kankakee. It's close to Chicago, but far from the congestion of urban sprawl. Lots of farmland close-by.
  #10   IP: 75.3.70.225
Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Atlantic View Post
Players that compete in this type of league don't always need the pay as much as they need the preparation through training. There is a perception that players are worth x amount of $$ but minor league basketball teams can't afford to pay.

Most players will not have an issue with no or very little pay if they have nice housing, meal stipends, good coaching and training situations.

The bottom line is if they can compete and train for three months hard, they would have an opportunity to showcase themselves and get a contract overseas.
TJ,
You were way ahead of your time with your leagues. Although multi-team ownership doesn't work (as we now know), but I agree with your concepts. Apparently, the IBL also agrees. High player salaries won't cut it in ANY economy. The owners need a better chance of keeping their heads above water. Keeping salaries in check is one method of doing so.

Tags
gary, ken