OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#11   IP: 70.112.28.248
Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 PM

Default Wichita Falls

If the Cavs don't have a problem with it, then play ball. It would be neat to see how the media covers both teams (aren't they in the same market?).

Amarillo has a decent arena that might work if the dates could be worked out with the hockey team. They are getting close to the saturation point with minor league sports, but it's all third tier stuff that might be able to coexist.
  #12   IP: 65.77.71.46
Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 PM

As for Media coverage for Wichita Falls/ Lawton...

Lawton has an ABC affilitate that covers mainly the Lawton area. Sometimes they cover stuff south of the Red River, but only if it is big news stuff like a big grass fire or the like. I don't remember them covering anything sports related except when the Cowboys where down there.

Wichita Falls has two stations there, CBS and NBC stations. Same for them covering stuff up here. Unless it is a big ticket news item, Tornado, fire, ect. they don't cover much of what goes on up here.

Amarillo was another town that the CAVS owner was talking about.
They have a CHL hockey team there, the Gorillas.
They also have an AFL2 team there, the Dusters.
Adding a CBA team there might make it abit crowded?
  #13   IP: 70.112.28.248
Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 AM

Default Amarillo

Like I said, the big sticking point with Amarillo would be scheduling in the Civic Center with the Gorillas. I think the market could actually support all the teams since they are all pretty cheap tickets (they also have an independent league baseball team) and there's a decent enough median income for the city which is poised to break 200k in population. The main advantage is its distance from West Texas A&M (folks don't want to drive half an hour one way to watch their basketball games), and the main disadvantage is getting people downtown at night (folks don't want to drive ten minutes one way to watch a basketball game).

Last edited by bdyer; 03-04-2008 at 12:08 AM.
  #14   IP: 132.49.221.25
Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 AM

I'd argue that Wichita Falls is just OUT of Lawton's range.

Aren't the Amarillo Gorillas perennial candidates to fold? Seems like I'd risk barging into that market. I'm not sure that's a hockey town.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107
  #15   IP: 72.47.103.253
Old 03-04-2008, 11:41 AM

Good thing about Wichita Falls is that they are around 50 miles away from Lawton.
Could build up a good rivalry with the CAVS.

As for Rio Grande, I think a team located around them like in Lardeo or Corpus Christi would be good for them, both are around 140-150 miles away, which is much better than the 700 miles to Lawton.
  #16   IP: 75.59.147.165
Old 03-04-2008, 09:57 PM

I doubt if many (if any) people from Wichita Falls are coming to the Cavs games, so I think it could only help if they got a team too. I'd go to the games down there too and maybe their diehard fans would come here too.

The 2 TV stations in Wichita Falls both have covered the Cavs. I've seen the CBS station at the game filming so they could show highlights. The NBC station showed the score against Yakama a few nights ago.