OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 71.243.169.54
Old 02-10-2008, 09:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to tbayz1
Default Today's Game: Reading at Jacksonville but really in Chicago?

Change of venue: With the Jacksonville franchise in upheaval, the Railers will fly to Chicago today to play the Slam, rather than head to Florida. With Jacksonville ownership failing to meet payroll, the Premier Basketball League took over operation of the franchise last week. The name of the team was changed from the Jam to the Slam. Who shows up at the Attack Athletics Arena in a Jacksonville uniform remains to be seen. Railers co-owner Jim Stec has been told that some of the same players remain on the Jacksonville roster. The Railers also are scheduled to play at Jacksonville again Friday. There’s no word yet on where that game will take place.

source: http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=79750
  #2   IP: 98.26.99.139
Old 02-10-2008, 02:24 PM

I have heard that many (if not all) of the remaining home games for Dallas and Jacksonville may be played in Chicago. Some Jax players have stayed, but the info on the SLAM site is not yet current I am told. I wonder if the "Travelers" will be involved.
  #3   IP: 71.243.169.54
Old 02-10-2008, 02:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to tbayz1

I think everything will be figured out and situated this upcomming week after this weekends games are completed. The Jacksonville crap happened very quickly and didn't give the PBL alot of time to deal with everything. Under the circumstances the league has done a decent job, one example was getting a team to go to Wilmington and play a game in front of 2k people. I have faith in the league officials doing the right thing, its still unfortuante mid-way through their first season that they have encountered problems(jax and dallas) but at least the games are getting played!
  #4   IP: 72.230.162.63
Old 02-10-2008, 03:40 PM

The good news is that Jacksonville remained competitive. It'll be interesting to hear how full the roster was, but at the very least, it wasn't a 130-50 win. It's good to hear that some guys remain on the team.
  #5   IP: 74.135.106.138
Old 02-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Default Pig in a dress

You can put a pig in a dress, but at the end of the day it is still a pig
  #6   IP: 198.178.191.2
Old 02-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to LightningMan Send a message via AIM to LightningMan Send a message via MSN to LightningMan Send a message via Yahoo to LightningMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodavel View Post
You can put a pig in a dress, but at the end of the day it is still a pig
Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
  #7   IP: 74.135.106.138
Old 02-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned

maybe we could play shirts and skins in the future...flying Reading into Chicago, does that really make any sense?

Maybe we could call them the Jacksonville "Sham". Putting Jacksonville on the jersey does not make them Jacksonville. Can you imagine what this just did to the Jacksonville media? They probably don't even care anymore.

Please don't anyone compare the PBL to the ABA again, had the ABA done this (I've said this before) everyone would have been saying what a joke, it's a rec league, etc.

Just because you play a game and count it in the standings does not make it ok. Had the PBL done there homework properly they would not be in this mess.

PBL Travelling team? If you read the story from the Wilmington paper a "seldom used player" lead the team in scoring, plus they just lost one of there players before that game.

I am just very disappointed in how the PBL handled this.
  #8   IP: 24.13.13.40
Old 02-10-2008, 04:08 PM

There still pro ballplayers...plenty out there !
Also better than having Atlanta ( CBA) send only 5 players without a coach to Minot. Now thats not good !
  #9   IP: 74.135.106.138
Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned

just because you give a guy $25 dollars doesn't make him a quality pro player, please everyone quit comparing them to the other leagues.

PBL needs to dump Jacksonville and reschedule the year, don't put a team on the floor who most likely will change every week. It is not fair to other teams. I could live with that, at least the games are not "tainted" with these less quality teams.

I wish I had the money that is flying out of the PBL office, next year they need to schedule better. Poor Dallas made 4 seperate air trips to Illinois (in the winter) to play one game and leave each time. There are 3 Illinois teams within driving distance of each other, could have made 2 airflights on the weekend and play 2 games than flown back home.

Good luck next year trying to fly-in to Buffalo on the same day to play a game and or get out for another game...
  #10   IP: 72.230.162.63
Old 02-10-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
just because you give a guy $25 dollars doesn't make him a quality pro player, please everyone quit comparing them to the other leagues.
Huh? They've maintained many of their players, and they remain a competitive team. Since you keep mentioning the ABA and how we'd be upset if they did the same, we actually got upset when their teams would bring five players and lose be 70 or 80 (literally). We actually get upset because the ABA didn't do these things, teams die, and the remaining teams get stuck without opponents. That's the difference.

Quote:
Good luck next year trying to fly-in to Buffalo on the same day to play a game and or get out for another game...
Huh? How is Buffalo different than Rochester? If nothing else, this makes for a sensible weekend trip. Rochester and Buffalo are just an hour apart down the thruway, and the weather is similar. Fly in to one city, play there, travel to the other, and fly out there.

It's becoming clear where your agenda is. I'm sorry you're so upset that you feel the ABA gets more blame. If you'd read these comments, we're impressed with how much better the PBL's crisis control is. Is it ideal to get in this situation? No, it's not a good thing. Is Jacksonville weaker now than they were? Probably. It's the same thing--actually worse--in the CBA with Atlanta previously a fairly strong team and now a skeleton crew. But, anyway, I'll let you continue on with complaining about how the PBL doesn't receive as much criticism as the ABA. Meanwhile, I'll worry about watching the PBL and how its games are competitive and the games actually get played. I'll give them time to improve, because the league you like to compare this to has had time, so I'll let the PBL have it too. They're already light years ahead, although far from perfect, in year one...