OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 184.78.229.100
Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 PM

Default Power Rankings

Well, the Coach's poll came out. I thought I'd go ahead and post my rankings. As always, this is just how I see things. PLEASE if you disagree, reply with your own rankings. It's always interesting to see how other's see things!

1. Cedar Rapids Titans
OK, I admit, I am not really sold on them as the team to beat in this league yet. Two close wins against Chicago, followed by wins against Texas and Wyoming. The fact of the matter is, they are the only team to have played 4 games this season, and they are the only undefeated team remaining. All the other teams have only played either 2 or 3 games, and already have a loss. No one even made it to 3-0. So while I am not completely sold on them yet, they have earned a right to the benefit of the doubt.

2. Nebraska Danger
The Danger have had the toughest start of the schedule in the league. In the span of 3 weeks, they had to play the Storm, the Ice, and then travel all the way to Washington State to play the Fever. What a great start for them! Their defense looked top notch against the Storm. If there was anything to be concerned about, it was their offense. QB Jameel Sewell and the offense put our minds to ease the next week hosting Colorado. Even though these were both home games, what an intense start to the season. Then came the long road trip. Road trips in this league are hard, and this was a long one for an already tired team. They dominated the early part of the game, before allowing the Fever to take advantage of mistakes in the 2nd half. Knowing the start of their schedule, did anyone think they would be 2-1 at this point?

3. Sioux Falls Storm
Why are they in the top 3? They are the Sioux Falls Storm. Need I say more? The one loss is going to have to turn into a few losses before they stop being one of the teams to beat in this league.

4. Tri Cities Fever
The Fever have a lot of new players at key positions and it has shown so far. A lot of penalties have hurt this team in this young season. Injuries have also been a problem. Still they played well on the road against the ICE, losing only after having to completely switch up their offense due to injuries. And then made some good adjustments to beat the Danger the next week. 3 good teams (The Ice, the Storm and the Fever) have tried to beat the Danger this season, and only the Fever have pulled it off. It is not enough to rank them above the Storm or the Danger, but it does earn them spot number 4.

5. Colorado Ice
The Ice round out the top 5. They are 2-1 so far, taking down the Fever and the Green Bay. I could have given them the 4th spot, but they weren't even competive in their loss to the Danger, and should have beaten Green Bay worse than they did. These two games worry me about the Ice.

6. Chicago Slaughter.
Not much of a choice here. Of the remaining teams, they are the only team that has won a game. In fact, they are 2-2. Their only two losses came to Cedar Rapids. They whooped Texas, and beat Green Bay. Not 2 especially impressive wins, but wins none the less.

7. Green Bay Blizzard
The next 3 teams are yet to win. I am judging them on how competitive they have been. Green Bay (0-3) have been close in two of their games, and still competitive in their other game, against the Storm. Green Bay and Texas have both played number 6. Chicago. Green Bay gave them a much better game. They take the best of the worst spot at 7.

8. Texas Revaluation
It has not been a good start for Texas, two games, two big losses. And with back to back games against the Fever coming up, I don't expect things to improve anytime soon.

9. Wyoming Cavalry
The only team to be less competitive in their games than Texas, is Wyoming.
They have been outscored 121 to 19 in their first 2 games. Ouch! Will Coach L last the season?
-------------------------

Last edited by TC-FeverAMs; 03-22-2013 at 12:59 AM.
  #2   IP: 67.176.45.98
Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 AM

These rankings are solid overall, I think they exactly match what the coaches voted from what I saw on the IFL website. Though games have already happened this weekend, my picks last week would have been:

1- Nebraska
2- Cedar Rapids
3- Sioux Falls
4- Colorado
5- Tri-Cities
6- Chicago
7- Green Bay
8- Texas
9- Wyoming

My change up in the rankings basically comes down to who have you played and who have you beat? Nebraska has by far had the toughest schedule and has handled it about as good as any team. I just can't imagine Cedar Rapids playing that same schedule of Sioux Falls, Colorado, Tri-Cities and coming out 2-1.

From there Cedar Rapids is really the only other option based off record and impressive wins. No team outside of Tri-Cities really has an impressive win on their resume, but the record doesn't compare to what Cedar Rapids has.

Sioux Falls is obviously not as good as years past, and the struggles of Green Bay make them an even tougher team to grade. They have beat up and two winless teams and then barely lost to my number one team. This week against Colorado will give me a good understanding of what Sioux Falls will be this year.

Colorado jumps over Tri-Cities because of the head to head match-up and not much else. Nothing really super exciting about what either of these teams are doing right now, and I expect both of them to be jumping back and forth.

Below Colorado and Tri-Cities would not have even been in the discussion before this weekend.

Now looking ahead to next week coaches rankings I see the big gainer being Chicago and the big loser being Tri-Cities. There will be a decent shift in the coaches ranking come the next vote.
  #3   IP: 184.78.229.100
Old 03-24-2013, 01:34 PM

The coach's poll had SF at 2 and Nebraska 3. They also had Green Bay and Texas switched. Otherwise, yeah pretty much the same as mine.
  #4   IP: 184.78.229.100
Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 PM

Well, after a pretty surprising week of games, here's my ranking for the next week.

1. Cedar Rapids Titans (no change)
Dizzy pointed out some good reasons they should not be number 1. I don't disagree with the logic. And I still am not sold on them as the best team in the league. Still, Nebraska's loss to the Fever in Tri Cities is going to allow the Titan's to hang on at number 1. The Fever are NOT the team they used to be, and the Danger should have won that game. The Titans were off this week, so I am not going to drop them after a bye.

2. Nebraska Danger (no change)
Other then a loss in TC (where they beat themselves more than TC beat them), they have been on fire. This week, they beat Wyoming. Not an outstanding accomplishment, but you have to win the easy ones, and they did.

3. Colorado Ice (up 2 spots)
Last week I had to choose either the Ice or the Fever for the 4 spot. I chose the Fever, even though the Ice had beat them in game one. The Fever beating the Danger was the reason I gave. Well.... WRONG! The Ice proved they belong in the top 3 by taking down the storm. They are now 3-1, with their only loss being to the Danger. I try to not make homer picks, but it looks like I failed!

4. Sioux Falls Storm (down 1 spot)
If the Playoffs started today, Chicago would be in the playoffs, the Storm would not! That says something about this season. Do no expect it to hold up, however. The Storm has had a tough schedule. They will adjust, and finish in the playoffs, and contend for yet another United Bowl.

5. Chicago Slaughter (up one spot)
They are 3-2. I feel bad for putting them below a .500 team, but at the end of the day, I think SF is a better football team.

6. Texas Revaluation (up two spots)
Both Texas and Tri Cites are 1-2. An argument could be mad that the Fever's one win came against a better team the Texas' one win. However, I gave the Fever that benefit of the doubt last week, and it didn't work for me. These two teams have already played, and Texas won. They get this spot. If the fever want it back, they have to win this Friday when the two teams play in TC.

7. Tri Cities Fever (down 3 spots)
Are the Fever really the 3rd worst team in the league? So far, they have played like it, yes. Will they get better? I refuse to believe a team coached by Shack won't improve from this start, but it won't be enough to make the playoffs. Nebraska and Colorado will be the two teams from the Intense Conference to make the playoffs this season. QB play has NOT been good. Losing Houston Lillard is hurting a lot more than people thought. For the past few seasons, TC has a pretty good sized group of Lillard haters. they cluelessly complained about him last season, getting really loud each time they lost to SF. They all said how much better Peters was than Lillard. You guys feeling pretty stupid now? I hope so. You were so mean spirited, nasty and CLUELESS. Even a teammate had to call them out on the Fever Facebook and correct them when they stated the Fever "can never win with Lillard as the QB". Clearly, I have gotten of track here. And I should add, this season is NOT all Peter's fault. He's a young QB and he will get better. And if the Fever are going to improve, he NEEDS to get better fast.

8. Green Bay (Down one spot)
The Green Team still have not won a game this season. Wow. Still, they are more competitive in games than Wyoming!

9. Wyoming Cavalry (No Change)
Another game... CHECK. Another lopsided loss... CHECK. Another week closer to Coach L losing his job? I hope not. He deserves more of a chance than that. But that DOES seem to be how sports works these days. If he IS fired, I do hope he returns to the Fever as the DC.

Last edited by TC-FeverAMs; 03-25-2013 at 01:41 PM.
  #5   IP: 107.2.234.76
Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Having seen both the Fever AND the Storm it is easy to see that BOTH clubs miss the QB's from last year. Nebraska is the best team Ive seen so far this season. Colorado could easily be 0-4. All 3 wins have been tight and down to the last possession. 3 out of the 4 have been at home. We will see what they do when they play on the road with a short week in Wyoming with them in a must win situation.
  #6   IP: 67.176.45.98
Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 PM

I agree with all of your rankings this week except for I would put Tri-Cities over Texas. Teams always lose those few road games that we will look back at and wonder what the heck happened, I see that being the case with the TC loss in Texas.

I change my tune from last week on Nebraska because to be honest, only beating Wyoming by 27 points at home when you are supposed to be the best team in the league is not good enough.

Though Cedar Rapids may not have done much to earn the spot yet, Nebraska is seeming more and more like a risk because of their up and down nature of performances (hard to say that about a 3-1 team).

Colorado is worthy of the 3 spot for now, but as Lew mentioned, this team could easily be 0-4 with a few different plays in each game. Granted they did have a big lead on SF in the 3rd, this team is very hard to read as well and honestly I could see them slipping up on the road in Wyoming to an improving and desperate team.

Beyond that is a toss up of a few different teams, but I fully expect SF and Chicago to be in a battle until the end and TC will stick around long enough to possibly sneak in.
  #7   IP: 216.12.180.10
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Assuming Cedar Rapids is who the appear to be, the Storm would have to finish in front of Green Bay, Chicago, and Texas. That doesn't appear to be such a tall order at the moment. I think CR has benefited from a favorable schedule, but they've won the games they've played. If you're a fan of the league, this year is very exciting. If you're a fan of last years title game participants, this season is giving you indigestion.

Sioux Falls has a tough but balanced schedule the rest of the way. Getting each conference opponent twice, and home rematches with Colorado and Nebraska. If they can clean up the mistakes, they could look real good in mid June.
  #8   IP: 184.78.229.100
Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Yeah, Colorado could be 0-4 if they blew the end of 3 games. 3 games come down to the wire, and ALL THREE times they prevail. I see that as a plus, not a minus.

I think Colorado has a great chance of taking the first seed in the playoffs, which in this season's 2 team per conference setup, would mean home field advantage in the conference championship game.
  #9   IP: 184.78.229.100
Old 03-27-2013, 04:13 PM

Also, it would be an unfair slap in the face to Texas to put the fever above them. They have the same record, and Texas JUST beat the Fever. OK, so the Fever helped them out a bit by beating themselves a lot of the evening. That's just another reason they belong lower on the list. So for THIS WEEK, I feel Texas has earned the higher spot. I do not expect it to stick, however. I DO feel the Fever are going to win this week, and likely by a lot. I see a statement game coming up and Texas is going to be made an example of of. But this list is how I think the teams HAVE played, not how they are GOING to play. If TC does in fact have a statement game, it will bump them up next week. OK so I break that rule a little bit with putting SF at 4. I don't see their play as dire as the Fever's, up to now. I think looking at that Conference, even with the standings how they are, SF is still a favorite in the conference. The same cannot be said about the Fever... right now...
  #10   IP: 207.254.32.170
Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 AM

#1 TRI CITY FEVER- CAUSE THEY ARE THE COOLEST
#2 NEBRASKA DANGER- LOVE THE GREY ROADIES AND THE BLACK FIELD
#3 WYOMING CAVALRY-FLAT NAVY HELMETS
#4 GREEN BAY BLIZZARD- COOL LOGO
#5 CEDAR RAPIDS TITANS- AT LEAST THE MASCOT ENDS WITH AN "s"
#6 TEXAS REVOLUTION- DIG THE RED,WHITE,AND BLUE
#7 CHICAGO SLAUGHTER- "SLAUGHTER" NEED I SAY MORE
#8 COLORADO ICE- ICE? REALLY
#9 SIOUX FALLS STORM- NOW THAT THEY HAVE BEEN CAUGHT PAYING THE PLAYERS, THEY HAVE TO LEARN TO WIN USING THE ACTUAL RULES