OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 67.176.45.98
Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM

Default Preseason Position Rankings

With the IFL season just under a month away, I figured it would be good to list the top groups out there so far in the IFL. With the IFL not posting any transactions lately some of these may change, but based off press releases, team pages, etc I will attempt to put together a good enough list for all of us fans to look at. I will list what I feel are the Top 3 teams at each position.

QB

1. Cedar Rapids Titans - Added probably the best veteran QB in the league in McCullum. This could easily change if/when Lillard or Dixon come back into the league, but until then this is the best QB situation out there.

2. Nebraska Danger - Have two very solid options with indoor experience in Sewell and Tuitama. Not sure who will get the starting nod, but I expect both to be getting reps throughout the season.

3. Texas Revolution - Have a solid IFL vet in Jackson and probably one of the best rookie prospects in Nathan Dick. Again, another situation that will probably see both players taking snaps early in the season, wit Dick probably earning the starting nod as the season moves on.

RB

1. Cedar Rapids Titans - Again, added the best veteran RB in the league, stealing Laron Council from Green Bay. Throw in Crenshaw behind him, and they will be solid at RB throughout the season.

2. Colorado Ice - Bring back Cordera Eason who most fans won't know because of how late he came in last season, but burst onto the scene against Sioux Falls and Tri-Cities. Some depth with rookie talent as well.

3. Tri-Cities Fever - Maybe my front runner for comeback player in the IFL, Keithon Flemming was brought in as the replacement for Dennis Kennedy. For a team to put their trust in a player like that is only deserving of a #3 spot here.

WR

1. Nebraska Danger - Have three WR's that could be All-IFL in Piper-Jordan, Surrency, and Farquharson. Add some depth and size with their likely backups and this team will present match-up problems for every single defense they see.

2. Cedar Rapids Titans - Have made a lot of noise lately trading and adding WR's from other rosters. Sims and Pray are likely starters and then from there, the Titans have plenty of experience and youth to make them very scary when you include the QB and RB situations.

3. Colorado Ice - Had a tough time deciding between Colorado and Sioux Falls here, but with the top receiver in the league joining the roster in Tillery and some IFL experience in Henderson, they should be able to carry the load until some of the talented rookies get going.

OL

1. Sioux Falls Storm - This is the easiest decision out there, no more explanation really needed.

2. Tri-Cities Fever - Have a lot of talent throughout their OL, with a lot of guys that played in big time situations.

3. Nebraska Danger - Have former NFL guys all over their OL. Will be a very good competition, that will end up with top players no matter what.

DL

1. Nebraska Danger - Much like every other position, a lot of talent throughout the DL. Not everyone can make it though, and seems that they have some guys that are still questions marks even with their pedigree.

2. Colorado Ice - Have heard they made a big splash on the DL from a few sources but no name to confirm the player. (If any Colorado fans know please let me know). Even beyond that, would have one of the top DL's in the league. I have heard the player was confirmed to have signed, but if he hasn't I would still have Colorado in the Top 3.

3. Sioux Falls Storm - Though another year older, when you have the likes of Crable, Price, and Johnsen, you know the DL is going to be solid, especially come playoff time.

LB

1. Colorado Ice - One of the best LB groups I have seen in recent years with IFL experience and former NFL talent in abundance. Greg Jackson comes over from GB and has to be the favorite to compete with Prince Hall for the top spot in the beginning. The hard part may be finding room for all of the talent to get on the field.

2. Green Bay Blizzard - Add one of the top LB's from last year in Buck and have some other talented rookies to push him for playing time very quickly. Would have been #1 in nearly any other year with the talent they have.

3. Tri-Cities Fever - May not be the flashy LB's but they have two very solid IFL veterans back. With how much they liked to use their LB's last year, wouldn't be surprised if they add even more talent in the near future.

DB

1. Tri-Cities Fever - Bring back Singleton and former Fever player Dennis Rogan. With these two alone they would have one of the top defensive backfields in the league. Add some more returning players and some top quality rookie talent and they will be a team that will be able to challenge any offensive attack.

2. Green Bay Blizzard - BJ Hill and Reggie Sullivan make this one of the most dangerous secondaries out there. With very talented rookies scattered throughout the rest of the secondary, will be a very solid secondary with the veteran talent around them.

3. Nebraska Danger - Some aging talent that has under performed in the past years, still have plenty of talent that will keep them relevant throughout the season. Tons of experience will be able to confuse opposing offenses early.

Special Teams

1. Sioux Falls Storm - One of the best kickers in the league in Douglass and plenty of options to return. Korey Williams and Mike Tatum were two of the most dangerous last year, and now they are on the same team.

2. Colorado Ice - Return All-IFL kicker in Aric Goodman and add one of the best returners in league history in James Jones. Plenty of other options out there with all of the youth and former All-American returners on the roster.

3. Nebraska Danger - Solid kicking game and bring back their top returner from the end of last season, as well as one of the top returners from two seasons ago in Maurice Mansfield. Like most other spots, a lot of talent capable of winning the job.

Last edited by dizzy; 01-12-2013 at 07:51 PM.
  #2   IP: 66.231.15.254
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM

The Ice have James Jones.. like THE James "JJ" Jones, aka "Spidaman" Jones? did I miss a press release or a signing someplace?
  #3   IP: 208.87.234.180
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy View Post

Special Teams

2. Colorado Ice - Return All-IFL kicker in Aric Goodman and add one of the best returners in league history in James Jones. Plenty of other options out there with all of the youth and former All-American returners on the roster.
No he did not
  #4   IP: 67.176.45.98
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer_Texxx View Post
The Ice have James Jones.. like THE James "JJ" Jones, aka "Spidaman" Jones? did I miss a press release or a signing someplace?
From my understanding, yes it is the same one. Again, I can't confirm because I haven't seen transactions for a little while on the IFL site, but from different things I have been told this is the case.
  #5   IP: 208.87.234.180
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM

Tillery just left the Ice and joined the Bloomington Edge

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/pro...a4bcf887a.html
  #6   IP: 66.231.15.254
Old 01-17-2013, 02:48 PM

Knighton was with the now folded Cheyenne team, and Tillery isn't the first bigger name WR to leave the IFL, Clinton Solomon signed with KC of the CPIFL

Last edited by Bouncer_Texxx; 01-17-2013 at 03:15 PM.
  #7   IP: 67.176.45.98
Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 PM

Definitely changes things on this list. Makes me wonder what type of money those players are getting to leave the IFL.
  #8   IP: 24.111.55.30
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
Definitely changes things on this list. Makes me wonder what type of money those players are getting to leave the IFL.
Oh but the CPIFL is on the up and up, or at least that's the story. Travel and player compensation issues drove Bob Scott from the IFL after the 2010 season.

these signings at least make me go o.O
  #9   IP: 173.20.249.159
Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 PM

I am surprised players are leaving to play for $75 in the CPIFL. Never read officially but have heard that is CPIFL pay. Yeah, smh, something is fishy.
  #10   IP: 67.176.45.98
Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer_Texxx View Post
Oh but the CPIFL is on the up and up, or at least that's the story. Travel and player compensation issues drove Bob Scott from the IFL after the 2010 season.

these signings at least make me go o.O
Exactly....dont see some of these players leaving their respective teams for anything less than what the IFL is playing. I have heard differing stories on how the CPIFL pays, ranging from they don't have to pay players if they dont want to, all the way up to that they can pay players whatever the team wants.