OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#91   IP: 75.33.245.29
Old 05-25-2008, 08:17 PM

Red face You mean the stimulus check, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by not so fast View Post
I bet you got your Marketing and public relations check ken. Maybe you should take a pay cut.

Also, it was lot worse than this article is telling. I recieved a lot of calls about this. Jewel Harris, who I always publicly supported, has to do a better job of explaining this, because this lack of paying players was actually over a month in some cases.

Kudos to Barry Bradford and the Windy City team, who actually convinced the Steelhead players to play the game.

What has happened to minorleague basketball, or maybe its just more teams all over now, which makes the problems seem worse.
Situations like this are always worse than what appears in the newspapers. How much worse is the question? That's why it was important to lease-out that remaining skybox and rent-out the food court deck as much as possible. That skybox actually belongs to the Genesis Center administration during games, but those people can sit somewhere else as far as I'm concerned. The extra revenue is needed. The Steelheads have a business to run.

What has happened to minorleague basketball?!? Well, I don't think it has anything to do with the number of teams around to give the appearance that the situation is worse. The situation IS worse. I just don't think the general public is interested in professional basketball anymore (minor or major). Less interest, less sales. That's why I was saying what I said about the new Detroit franchise in the PBL forums. Detroit is nothing more than a BIG Gary, Indiana. Same problems. That's why it's so important to keep costs down (but not to miss payroll, geez!). The residents of Gary/Detroit have different priorities. Those priorities don't seem to include purchasing basketball tickets. Thank goodness there are a lot of IBL teams in the Great Lakes Region with fans willing to travel to Gary (and spend money). BTW, the lousy state of the economy hasn't helped minor league hoops over the years either.

Other than that, attendance is up over last season (the USBL year) and up from the Steelheads' last season in the CBA. However, a lot of those sales are because of sponsorship packages. "NIPSCO sponsors the following school groups blah, blah, blah...".

Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan; 05-25-2008 at 08:20 PM.
  #92   IP: 208.69.65.155
Old 05-26-2008, 07:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to not so fast

Well stated ken, you are right about the economy, in fact I have blown off going to three ibl games, even though i really wanted to see them, because the gas prices are too high.

it takes me a little over an hour to get to gary or elgin, or windy city home games in kankakee, but that would be about 30 dollars in gas. then ticket pices and food. thats 50 bucks easy to see the elgin racers? I dont think so. I am sure to some of you 50 dollars isnt much but to me it is. thats my lunch money for work.

I need to win the lottery, then i can buy my own team. Ken you are my GM when that happens.
  #93   IP: 75.3.68.213
Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 PM

Default Pics from the Steelheads regular season finale

The Steelheads defeated the Holland Blast by another huge margin. Both teams wore gold (but of course, the Steelheads are in blue trim).

A brief, but intense thunderstorm knocked-out the main arena lights during play for 15-20 minutes.

#94   IP: 75.3.68.213
Old 06-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Cool Owners?!?

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/1019...eelies.article

Quote:
The sparse crowd, officially listed as 1,000 but appearing to be considerably smaller, apparently did not include any of the team's owners.
The owners weren't just absent. It was an owners protest. The owners skybox was completely empty and the majority owner's mom was not present and in her usual seat. I don't recall her EVER missing a game in eight seasons. If I'm reading my Gary, Indiana politics correctly then the Genesis Center just took over the team.
  #95   IP: 132.49.221.25
Old 06-23-2008, 05:05 PM

Words I'm not sure I want to hear.

Quote:
Brown, who was reluctant to discuss specific concerns, was happy on another score. When they take the court again, the Steelheads will have back in uniform Kenny Lowe and Shaun Fountain. Both missed Sunday's game to take part in a tryout in Columbus, Ohio, for a French pro team.

"They're back (Friday)," Spon said. "Trust me, I talked to both of them."
Trust me? Those two words are usually a cry for help.

Not that you don't want players trying to go to France (nor do you want to stop them, unless you can pay more). Just that you can HEAR the panic in that comment.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107
  #96   IP: 75.31.246.254
Old 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM

Cool Yeah, HOSTING at least ONE playoff game would've been nice.

The blame game?!?
http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/200...800008fa72.txt

Quote:
"There is no more minor-league American business like there used to be," Duilio said from his home in Portland. "Those days are over. So for teams to continue playing minor-league basketball, they have to do it differently.

"And the way they have to do it is they have to save all that money they were spending on coaches and players -- like it or not -- and simply use it for marketing to get fans in the stands and try to survive."
No argument here, but you have to spend a little money if you want to compete with Elkhart. Northwest Indiana (Region) residents demand it.

Quote:
"Yes, we still would've wanted to join the IBL, but I would've pushed for a change in the format," Harris said. "If we couldn't do that, then at least I would've liked to have known (to us) there was no benefit to competing in their tournament.

"You don't get to host a playoff game, so you can't make any money on the playoffs. Not one dime is to be made on the IBL playoffs. We guaranteed fans to play 10 (home) dates at the Genesis Center, put the best product we could on the floor, and we did that."
...oh, okay. I can agree somewhat. Steelheads fans are generally a bunch of front-runners and don't start showing-up in numbers until the playoffs run. Maybe Jewell didn't know he wouldn't be hosting a playoff game because it was also explained to me last year that the top teams DID indeed host playoff games.

Quote:
"We didn't let our fans down," Harris said.
Well, I wouldn't go THAT far.
  #97   IP: 75.31.246.254
Old 07-08-2008, 12:18 PM

Red face Gary front-runners?!?

You can tell I love photographs. Why? Because photos speak volumes. This pic is from the 2006 CBA finals vs. Yakama. Trust me. Crowds like this one only began showing up when the Steelheads made their playoffs run.

Duilio AND Harris made good points. Middle ground needs to be found.
  #98   IP: 24.7.231.112
Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 PM

Ken - Are you kidding me? To even suggest that Dulio is correct...that a team shouldn't need to pay players or coaches, that they should take that money and spend it on marketing, is silly.

You showed a picture in a post above, and a part of your post really stuck out at me....you said the picture was from the 2006 FINALS vs Yakama.

Ken, I'm going to take some of what I am about to say from the president of arguably the best run team in the IBL -- the Elkhart Express.....you need to run it like a business, and as such need to "put butts in the seats". To do that -- you need a great product (aka TEAM). To have a great team, you need to pay players and coaches....and play your games.

So, to follow Dulios line of thinking...as long as you market your team, people will just show up even if your team stinks. Something is way-wrong with that logic....because no one could build a business with a sucky product.

So, before we start with thinking that Dulio is some sort of genius, let's think again and this time use some basic business sense....
  #99   IP: 71.115.87.162
Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 PM

You missed one of the more questionable quotes..

Quote:
Among the keys, Duilio said, was not hiring reputable coaches and players who demand the big money.
I don't know how much Elkhart pays it's players, even with all the "Elkhart pays sooo much more than anyone else can afford to" comments that are on here all the time, but no one is going to pay a player who can't bring in the fans. And I doubt any of them are getting rich off IBL basketball.

Don't hire reputable coaches?!? What are you supposed to do - hire some yahoo off the street who will draw meaningless x's and o's on a board and just let the players and the 'in it for the ego' owner do whatever they want?

Good basketball is your best marketing tool. If the team gets the community behind it, there's a lot of marketing to be had at no cost - 'meet the players' nights, player profiles in the newspaper, local TV news covering the games with the sports highlights.

If the West is doing so well, as Dulio claims, why all the complaining from that side of the country? The attendance he's bragging about isn't any better than a lot of the East games. It sounds to me like Dulio is trying to cover his backside in case the East teams decide to get together and demand some stability and respect from the league office. There are smart owners and coaches in the East, and the fan base is there - they could easily make it as their own league with the right leadership and business plan.
  #100   IP: 75.31.246.254
Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds55 View Post
You missed one of the more questionable quotes..
No, I didn't miss that quote. I intentionally left it out because it was such a dumb thing for him to say publicly.

Elkhart_Fan,
Gary put together an excellent basketball team. Honestly, I believe the Steelheads were a better team than the Express and would have represented the East in the finals (and that's not just homer talk). However, we'll never know now because the Steelheads didn't use their available resources to market the team. Yes, I think Duilio made some very good points in the article. He needs to learn tact, but I certainly agree with most of what he was saying. I also agree with some of what Jewell Harris was saying. He was expecting a surge in ticket sales (as it always happens in Gary) by hosting a playoff game. However, he never bothered to perform simple and inexpensive marketing such as: placing ads above urinals (everybody's got to go eventually), tagging cars, and most importantly--advertising on the video scoreboard. It never happened...and he never actually asked past season ticket holders if they wanted to renew their season tickets. BIG MISTAKE!

Somewhere between Duilio's rantings and Harris' confusion is the answer.

Tags
gary, genesis center, ibl, ken, steelheads