OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 216.220.193.132
Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Default IBL Championship Game MESS Best of Three now Best of ONE?

BELLINGHAM, Wash. - The Bellingham Slam will have home-court advantage when they face off against the Elkhart Express in the 2008 International Basketball League championship game on July 18. The team learned Monday that league officials had selected Bellingham to host the game, which will take place at the Slam's home venue of Whatcom Pavilion. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

------ Comments ---------

Everyone knows that the West was hosting and that it was going to be a best out of Three -- Now this changed??? How come???

Is it fair for Elkhart to fly all the way up to the end of the earth Bellingham for just one game??? If this is the best out of three make it the best out of three...

Again the IBL is falling apart they can not even keep there word for a week let alone a day..

The Explosion and Chill seem to be jumping ship both of the championship teams should join them.. I will be at the game and make sure they talk about the new league also..

IBL = Idiots Before Logic
  #2   IP: 96.52.35.162
Old 07-01-2008, 04:44 PM

I wouldn't be to sure about the Chill moving with the Explosion just yet.It should be a best of 3 series.
  #3   IP: 74.167.186.60
Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to SignGuyDino

Fans understand real emergencies. Like a roof collapsing at the venue or something like that.

Fans will not accept changing the format at the last moment. Whatever they planned is whatever they should do. (Bleep!) the costs. Integrity must always come first in a professional league.
  #4   IP: 24.7.231.112
Old 07-01-2008, 05:54 PM

Guys - You must not have heard that this same thing happened last year when Elkhart hosted the championship. There were several days when the decision was changed multiple times...and finally ended up being a 1 game championship.

Not saying that I agree with this, but this is typical for the IBL.
  #5   IP: 71.115.87.162
Old 07-01-2008, 09:40 PM

The championship game this year was always advertised as a one game deal. It was scheduled for Saturday, July 19 since the beginning of the season. The location has been advertised all season as Snohomish, though - maybe they didn't want to go to the trouble of hosting something they weren't playing in? Or Bellingham was afraid the Explosion fans would come out and root for Elkhart?

Last year was a major scheduling fiasco - the three game series got moved back from right after the conference championships to 3 weeks later, then it got changed from three games to one game. All changes done last minute.

Trust me on this one - I had checked the price of flights as soon as the schedule came out. I didn't buy any ticket, though - I remembered what had happened last year. (Good thing, too, since work requirements mean I can't take off that week. )
  #6   IP: 12.168.235.2
Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 PM

Homeboypla seems to have been wronged in some way by Duilio and the IBL. His drivel about the IBL being a joke, etc, is ridiculous. The IBL is in good shape and will be back in 2009. Are some owners unhappy? Probably. It's the minor leagues, of course a few teams will come and go.

The IBL championship game was scheduled to be a one game deal. I read the document. It never said where, it just said it's a one game deal. Playoffs are not mandatory. It makes sense to shut down operations and save your $$ for next season. I would like the playoffs to be more "structured" but in the minors if you can break even or even make a little money, that beats going to the playoffs and losing $$.
  #7   IP: 68.117.4.90
Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Agree and disagree. Painting the IBL's troubles, particularly in the postseason, as par for the course in the minors is grossly inaccurate. The vast majority of minor leagues play their postseasons as scheduled. Turning down a playoff berth to save money for next year is a sure sign of trouble, as is a team being kicked out because they wouldn't play for free. Some might call those red flags.

We have a user who for whatever reason really seems to hate the IBL. While he's made some good points, he's also bordered on hysteria at times. He'd be well-served to take a step back and re-examine how he chooses to make his points.
  #8   IP: 76.105.220.224
Old 07-05-2008, 04:21 PM

I've been back and forth on this league for a while.

What gets me... a couple league-owned teams are propped up out west while others are dying on the vine, though I'd argue that at least two of the dead teams were better draws.

I was also told by my Eugene contact about someone who'd shopped the league, noting a 3-year plan of payments for the expansion fee, the third being a whopper, which dissuaded the guy from buying in. I've noticed that a lot of teams have third-year issues in this outfit. I did math elsewhere in the IBL board demonstrating the general shakiness of franchises here.

Clearly, there are better ways to express these things... but there are things to be discussed here. This particular title issue may not be one of them. The general turn of events here doesn't surprise me.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107
  #9   IP: 75.3.68.213
Old 07-05-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeths View Post
Agree and disagree. Painting the IBL's troubles, particularly in the postseason, as par for the course in the minors is grossly inaccurate. The vast majority of minor leagues play their postseasons as scheduled. Turning down a playoff berth to save money for next year is a sure sign of trouble, as is a team being kicked out because they wouldn't play for free. Some might call those red flags.
Those are HUGE red flags of magnitude former Soviet Union variety...especially for proven franchises like the Steelheads.
  #10   IP: 24.21.226.142
Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM

Default Voice of IBL regarding championship game

Championship game- it was always scheduled as one game (both years)...

Yeah in 2007, the 2 owners talked on thier own about a best of 3 and it did not work out, so they stuck with the IBL standard 1-game... but again, the Championship is a single game