OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#21   IP: 24.7.231.112
Old 06-28-2008, 11:29 AM

These latest comments are but yet a classic example of the stupidity that this guy brings to running this league. I have no idea how in the world he got to this point, with such a great idea, but he in the end will only have himself to blame for the IBL going belly-up.

I agree with the many comments about how this could have been handled, but what I find very interesting is that based on Dulio's comments - one might come away with an understanding that Gary ownership knew TWO WEEKS ago that they weren't going to be able to play in the playoffs. So, it begs the question, why in the world would ou wait till the last minute....tick-off your players and coaches, fans, and fellow teams --- ALL OF WHICH YOU RELY ON FOR A SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS? And then the cherry on top of it all is for the Commissioner to actually CONDONE such a thing.

I'm sure the new league will addresses these, and other problems which Dulio wasn't (or didn't choose) to correct.....sure, it won't be perfect, but at least you'll have people running it (the owners) that actually care.
  #22   IP: 24.196.64.131
Old 06-28-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignGuyDino View Post
Yup, he said it:

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/1029...lheads.article

Highly disappointing. Words don't begin to say how. It would have been better to "pull an EPL" and have the regular season champion be crowned the champion, or at least have the top regular season teams in each division in a one-game playoff, than to make that statement. Hell, it would have been nice NOT to sell playoff tickets or in any other way give any indication playoff games will happen, when they don't.

Several years of hard work down the drain in one flippant comment. His comment afterwards defending the owner and not even apologizing for the hurt fans is even more shocking and disappointing.

I'm dropping regards of the IBL as a legitimate league.
Yeah. I read Duilio's comment and thought, SHAY WHAT!! A great deal of contempt for fans was demonstrated in his comments. Doesn't mean the IBL isn't looking better and better to me. It means that some people should put a muzzle on it when a reporter is nearby with pen and pad.

Same article. The mayor gave his blessings for pro basketball to return to Gary next spring. That means it's going to happen. The current Steelheads ownership has some 'plaining to do though, from season ticket overpricing to the playoffs fiasco.
  #23   IP: 24.196.64.131
Old 06-28-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not so fast View Post
Ken, if what you say is true, and revenue is up and attendance is up, then where is the money going?

Players, scorekeepers, coaches are not being paid at Gary, they go on road trips, and have no hotels booked, I mean this is either people not actually buying tickets, or maybe there should be an investigation of the funds over there.

But the reality is, just let the ibl go away, it was a new fun thing when it first started, with the 22 second shot clock, lots of offense, exciting for fans. It was actually a brilliant idea. But as usual, greed and corruption get in the way. We here in illinois have Governors every four years that shows you what corruption and greed can do.
Cut that stuff out!

I never said revenue was up (as in, up since last season). I said the Elkhart fans willing to come to Gary boosted attendance and revenue (my exact words). Without them and fans traveling from other nearby IBL towns, the state of affairs with the Steelheads would be far worse.

True enough, there were free tickets given to the schools while school was in session, but the out-of-towners usually paid cold hard cash.
  #24   IP: 24.196.64.131
Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedAndAmused View Post
I love the Gary court and venue. It's perfect for minor league basketball. But, from the pics at game time, there are only a couple hundred people there. They can't buy enough tix, drinks, and merchandise to fund a team the right way. It seems that when the owners get tired of losing money, the teams just go away, sometimes during mid season or the playoffs, like the ABA.
...and you cut that stuff out too.

I posted pics from every game except one. Some of those crowds were near or exceeded 3,000 and some of those crowds merely exceeded 300. It was a mixed bag. The season started in March for the Steelheads and the following pic I posted previously is from April 11, 2008--one of those near or exceeding 3,000 crowds.

The whole idea of being low-budget is that you don't have to rely of huge crowds night after night to stay in business. The problem with the Steelheads this season was that they alienated season ticket holders right off the bat by charging them for games that weren't even on the schedule. Many season ticket holders did not renew. Maybe for that reason. Also, the Steelheads had a million dollar video scoreboard at their disposal and did not advertise on it--nothing, no promoting future games and no sponsorship ads.