OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#31   IP: 68.223.247.171
Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Thumbs down CBA must pull the Fracnchise

The CBA management in order to save any credibility must yank the franchise from Tuckman! How foolish the statement from the league saying they were in agreement with Tuckman to shut it down.

STAND UP CBA MANAGEMENT SHOW SOME BACKBONE ! OR RESIGN!
  #32   IP: 209.159.226.116
Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
The CBA management in order to save any credibility must yank the franchise from Tuckman! How foolish the statement from the league saying they were in agreement with Tuckman to shut it down.

STAND UP CBA MANAGEMENT SHOW SOME BACKBONE ! OR RESIGN!
You can say what you want about Tuckman but I think the bigger problem was the fact that they let Tuckman buy the team just before the season with recognizable problems already persisting..... If the CBA would of been smart they would of said if Tuckman is buying the team let the team sit out this season get its sh*t in order and start fresh next season, if that means moving the franchise back to Seattle or whatever so be it but I think that is where the big problem was.

I think the CBA has to get more organized.. Approve of facilities so teams aren't playing in facilities like the one in Atlanta or high schools like Great Falls did.... buy all the teams jerseys before the season and give them to the teams so the teams are playing with approved, professional uniforms, make sure the lease agreement is in place before the season starts and most importantly why can't the league just pay the players or at least have the money go through the league so the league knows who is telling the truth about people getting paid what.... I still have faith in the CBA because I think they there is still a place for a creditable league like the CBA but they have to get there poop in a group if they want to keep the league alive..... maybe Canada isn't such a bad idea.....
  #33   IP: 71.17.132.12
Old 02-26-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bectond View Post
You mean you have not heard the good news? The CBA plans to expand to 10 Canadian cities in the next five years.
I assume this is meant to be sarcastic. However, if not done in jest what officially is the plan?
  #34   IP: 71.17.132.12
Old 02-26-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
You really haven't been paying attention, have you?

The venue was not the biggest of this team's problems. And simply moving somewhere, asking to crash on somebody's couch for four games, wasn't going to solve or even band-aid the systemic and organizational problems of the franchise.

So playing four games in Saskatoon could have "saved the team?" How, exactly? They stayed alive exactly as long as Michael Tuckman wanted to keep losing money. No more, no less. If he wanted to keep losing money (and marriages and his health), yeah, he could have just moved the team somewhere, been seen as a carpetbagger, tried to graft a team onto some temporary living arrangements (talk about a way to build a fanbase - "Hey, we got a new team!" "Wow, cool!" "Yeah, but it's only for a few games and it's so messed up it will probably fold because the owner doesn't pay his bills!" "Great! Let's go buy tickets now! I hope they play in a high school gym, because I've been dying to watch bad pro basketball in a high school gym with guys I've never heard of!") and played out the string.

But, really, why bother?

This team wasn't worth saving. This guy isn't worth having as an owner.

And, I'm sorry, keeping a team on life support is not the same as "saving" it.

Minor league pro basketball teams come and go. Six months from now, nobody in Great Falls will give a rat's ass. And there'll be some other team with a crappy name and messed up ownership in some other city, and eventually it'll all happen again.
Nope. Like I say I haven't really paid attention to the CBA. I gathered from this thread that it was venue problems that caused them to go under. If that was merely the case then a move would have made the most sense to me. Since it appears that its money problems then it wouldn't help at all to move the team, unless it were sold to another ownership group who planned to bring them back next season (like the Mansfield/Youngstown/Saskatchewan Hawks).
  #35   IP: 165.139.36.250
Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeths View Post
I hope you're being sarcastic. If the home team, in this case Great Falls, doesn't have a home court lined up by the time the traveling team needs to go, the home team should forfeit. Tuckman's game of musical home courts should cost his team, not the Patroons.
Nope, not being sarcastic. Go ahead and travel to Great Falls. Albany was scheduled to travel there anyway. If Great Falls doesn't have a home venue, then Albany claims much needed quarter points--no question. If Albany DOESN'T travel, then the quarter point question is left open. Hey! We had a venue, but Albany didn't show up, could have been claimed by Mr. Tuckman. Of course, the question has been settled now.

A similar situation happened with the USBL Gary Steelheads and a road trip to Jackson Mississippi. Jackson was flakey as a franchise and their owner was AWOL. This was known BEFORE Gary left on the road trip. Gary went anyway. The trip was already budgeted, so Gary met their travel obligation...and yes, Jackson could not find a venue (or enough players for that matter). Gary demanded a forfeit win and got it.

I tend to look for red flags. There are red flags going up all over the place with the Patroons organization. This is just the most recent raising of the flag, IMO.
  #36   IP: 68.117.4.90
Old 02-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken, Steelheads fan View Post
Nope, not being sarcastic. Go ahead and travel to Great Falls. Albany was scheduled to travel there anyway. If Great Falls doesn't have a home venue, then Albany claims much needed quarter points--no question. If Albany DOESN'T travel, then the quarter point question is left open. Hey! We had a venue, but Albany didn't show up, could have been claimed by Mr. Tuckman. Of course, the question has been settled now.

A similar situation happened with the USBL Gary Steelheads and a road trip to Jackson Mississippi. Jackson was flakey as a franchise and their owner was AWOL. This was known BEFORE Gary left on the road trip. Gary went anyway. The trip was already budgeted, so Gary met their travel obligation...and yes, Jackson could not find a venue (or enough players for that matter). Gary demanded a forfeit win and got it.

I tend to look for red flags. There are red flags going up all over the place with the Patroons organization. This is just the most recent raising of the flag, IMO.
Completely disagree. I have no idea what the Patroons' financial situation is, but this was entirely on the Explorers, not Albany. Great Falls was ready to raise the white flag, and Patroons management realized it. It should be obvious that Tuckman was just trying to muddy the waters with his statement that Albany wouldn't travel. Not on your life would I spend the money to make a trip for games without a venue. First thing I would do is confirm the information with the CBA office. That way you get your quarter points without spending an extra dime or wasting any time. It's easy for me to say now, but the last day's events have proven the Patroons were right. I don't see the red flag, only the white one raised by Tuckman.
  #37   IP: 163.120.73.154
Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Nope. Like I say I haven't really paid attention to the CBA. I gathered from this thread that it was venue problems that caused them to go under. If that was merely the case then a move would have made the most sense to me. Since it appears that its money problems then it wouldn't help at all to move the team, unless it were sold to another ownership group who planned to bring them back next season (like the Mansfield/Youngstown/Saskatchewan Hawks).
I'd say it was money more than venue problems that cause Great Falls to go under, so yes, moving the team would have done little good.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer
  #38   IP: 165.139.36.250
Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchess View Post
..in the USBL, the Patroons decided not to wait around two weeks for the USBL tournament after a season where they had seven games cancelled, and the schedule re-written at least twice. While the regular season ended the last week in June, the Patroons season ended in early June due to all the cancellations.

There isn't a thread of evidence that the Patroons ever played in the USBL at the Washington Avenue Armory.

The Pats have flown all over the country this season. The obvious reason that they didn't this time is that the games weren't lined up, and Tuckman had dropped two of his previous four home games.
I'm a bit stubborn when it comes to the USBL Patroons. No argument can convince me that the Patroons were justified in NOT traveling to the end of season tournament. The USBL league office was in shambles, sure I agree. However, the remaining teams only had themselves to depend on during the latter part of the 2007 season. It was the tournament host, Oklahoma Storm, the Patroons hurt by choosing not to travel. The USBL, the league, was a non-factor. All the remaining USBL teams participated in the tournament. The Patroons reneged on their travel obligations.
  #39   IP: 75.68.239.160
Old 02-26-2008, 11:32 AM

Joe Newman has to be thinking "Gee, at least this happens to other leagues and not just mine."
  #40   IP: 75.59.147.165
Old 02-26-2008, 02:41 PM

If Albany DID travel to Great Falls, would they have had a place to stay?

I'm pretty sure I read the home team pays for the visitor's rooms and the Explorers themselves had just been evicted, so I wonder if either team had a place to stay in Great Falls.