OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11   IP: 70.112.28.248
Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 PM
ChumpDumper's Avatar
ChumpDumper ChumpDumper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 367
Default

Texas can probably handle another D-League team, especially if it is owned by the Mavericks. I'm not too sure about Corpus Christi -- the best venue there is already crowded with men's and women's college ball as well as the CHL hockey team. There is an alternate venue being built in Robstown, but that out-of-the-way location might be more suited to the Silverados if they move.

There are still a few places that might be attractive and sustainable around the metroplex area if Cuban wanted to stay close to home; even two venues in downtown Dallas that would be cheap if he wanted to go that direction. I think markets outside the DFW area that could have the right mix of money, population and open venue dates are El Paso and Amarillo. Laredo's CHL team apparently draws about as well as that of the Rio Grande Vallley, but I don't know much else about the place.
Reply With Quote
  #12   IP: 69.108.120.164
Old 11-27-2007, 01:15 AM
HKF HKF is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 25
Default

The Knicks may not have a D-League team next year, but they will be getting their team in Harlem, that's for sure. It's pretty much a done deal. The amount of jerseys they sell alone will be in the multi-millions.

Some places I would like to see a team if possible are Trenton, NJ (for the Nets) after they move to Brooklyn.

Scranton or Reading (PA) for the Sixers. Along with Harlem and the two OH (Toledo and Youngstown) teams that would be a nice division.

It's also pretty much a foregone conclusion that Cuban is going to put a D-League team in Forth Worth again (or perhaps Plano). I think the reason why Cuban didn't want the Flyers was because they are going to be in Reno (the Maloofs and their cohorts I am told are involved, even if it's not outright ownership) and because he wanted to do all of his operations from the grassroots.

With the way Donnie Nelson runs the franchise and finds players all over the world, it doesn't make sense for Dallas not to have a D-League franchise, quite honestly.

Once the D-League reaches 30 teams, you're going to see the NBA rule change, where the D-League NBA contracts count against your roster, which will make using the D-League for strictly development a positive.
Reply With Quote
  #13   IP: 132.49.221.25
Old 11-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Pounder's Avatar
Pounder Pounder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portland freaking Oregon!
Posts: 2,727
Default

Those of you envisioning larger markets in the D-League- where the parent club isn't in the same market- you're not getting your wish. If you do, they won't last long.

You are the key to the NEXT step, however.

Boycott TV basketball. Tell the league you're doing it until teams are added in your towns, whether that makes the NBA some 60 teams strong, or promotion and relegation is instituted. For that matter, if dilution is what you fear, then pro/rel is the answer.

Mind you, a fan revolt is the only way this is going to happen, because owners won't willingly institute the concept. However, it's funny how much American money is finding its way over to the English Premier League, so maybe I'm wrong.

That doesn't mean the D-League isn't necessary. I'm just saying that it will not play in Cincinnati and Vancouver and Las Vegas and San Diego and Buffalo. Those markets are too big, and believe they should get the NBA. In a way, they should be in the NBA.
Reply With Quote
  #14   IP: 209.159.226.116
Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM
jjbballfan jjbballfan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 288
Default

I think the NBA will announce that they plan on expanding to 32 teams after they figure out New Orleans and Seattle. You have numerous markets that could support a NBA team

1. OKC--- most likely Seattle
2. Kansas City--- new arena possibly New Orleans
3. St. Louis--- Grizzles just about moved there
4. San Diego--- had the nba before and I think they want it back
5. Pittsburgh--- new arena
6. Cincinnati

There are cities out there that could support the NBA no problem and I think they want it but maybe if they supported a Dleague team it would help there chance..... I heard that there is ownership groups in Kansas City, St. Louis, and Omaha that are looking to see how the Dleague works in Des Moines if it works good they plan on joining if not they won't do it.... according to there reported attendance you could see franchises in those cities..... putting a team in cities like that could work but you have to try to find a smaller venue 6-10 thousand instead of getting into the big arenas 14+ thousand...... I think the Dleague shouldn't stop at 30 teams though I would support something like a rookie league of 10 teams where they expanded the draft to 3 or 4 rounds and teams would assign 3-4 rookies to there rookie club and then make it so the Dleague doesn't have an assignment age rule..... Then maybe add another league of 10 teams that would be non affiliated veterans league...... I would like the Dleague to have 50 teams..... 30 in the Dleague affiliated league... 10 in the dleague rookie league and 10 in the dleague veterans non affiliated league...... The other leagues are a joke and there is around 50 minor league markets out there so maybe my 50 teams is out of line but I don't think they should quit at 30 teams if they can continue to grow.....
Reply With Quote
  #15   IP: 69.108.120.164
Old 11-27-2007, 05:22 PM
HKF HKF is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 25
Default

Sorry but there will be no more expansion for a mighty long time. It's just not happening.
Reply With Quote
  #16   IP: 132.49.221.25
Old 11-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Pounder's Avatar
Pounder Pounder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portland freaking Oregon!
Posts: 2,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbballfan View Post
I think the NBA will announce that they plan on expanding to 32 teams after they figure out New Orleans and Seattle.
Why?

Mind you, I know someone who thinks that Major League Baseball will announce plans to expand immediately after the next year that revenues drop from the previous year. I could see that happening with the NBA. PROBLEM: you can't just expand to any old place. Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbballfan View Post
You have numerous markets that could support a NBA team

1. OKC--- most likely Seattle
2. Kansas City--- new arena possibly New Orleans
3. St. Louis--- Grizzles just about moved there
4. San Diego--- had the nba before and I think they want it back
5. Pittsburgh--- new arena
6. Cincinnati
I've been thinking Seattle could yet thwart the Oklahoma City move, but if the losses the Sonics post are anywhere close to genuine (which they may not be, but the opportunity cost may push the equation over the edge), then the owners are quite likely to pay the penalty provided in the lease and end it. Therefore, Oklahoma City would be a relocation, not an expansion.

Furthermore, the NBA will not move the Hornets until memories have faded. That'll be longer than you think.

NOW...
Kansas City- Sprint Center is shiny and waiting for a prime tenant. Problem: KC's history with the Kings was REALLY dire. Still, the NBA will race with NHL to see who gets there first.

St. Louis- NOPE. The NBA will not play second fiddle to the St. Louis Blues. The only way this is anywhere near viable is if the same people who own the Blues own the NBA team. Could happen, but most other arenas that aren't in major markets don't make it work all that well.

San Diego- Qualified no. Who's going to build an arena. The city WILL NOT. If someone with private money is willing, they could well be in.

Pittsburgh- NOPE. Penguins will run the building. Point is that the NBA only tolerates two situations where they are the "second tenant" in a building; Denver and Toronto.

Cincinnati- Is the downtown arena sufficient, or does it need more suites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbballfan View Post
There are cities out there that could support the NBA no problem and I think they want it but maybe if they supported a Dleague team it would help there chance..... I heard that there is ownership groups in Kansas City, St. Louis, and Omaha that are looking to see how the Dleague works in Des Moines if it works good they plan on joining if not they won't do it.... et cetera, ad nauseum, blah blah
First off, let's not take opening night attendance in Des Moines and extrapolate. If they draw 8K on a December weeknight in two years, then we'll talk. Meanwhile, the NBA isn't naive enough to put "major markets" to a D-League test for NBA acceptance. They know that's a setup for failure (though they might use it to set up a failure... you never know).

Meanwhile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKF View Post
Sorry but there will be no more expansion for a mighty long time. It's just not happening.
Why do you say that? Evidence, please.

Last edited by Pounder; 11-27-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17   IP: 163.120.78.194
Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 PM
rams80 rams80 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Greencastle, IN
Posts: 1,673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pounder View Post


Why do you say that? Evidence, please.
Talent dilution. The NBA has too many horrible teams already. The Bobcats expansion was a minor disaster. Adding more teams is not an option.
__________________
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer
Reply With Quote
  #18   IP: 129.123.26.33
Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 PM
LandRoverUT60 LandRoverUT60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 96
Default Now back to the D-League...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbballfan View Post
St. George I heard is a possiblility

Las Vegas I would like to see one there that arena is about the right size

Cheyenne wouldn't work because there is no decent size arena other then the AA and I doubt they would want to play there Casper would work a lot better.

Omaha I am thinking will happen this year, I like Buffalo (possible Toronto affiliate) Vancouver would work but you would need Yakima and possibly Tri-City to get some travel partners. San Diego I don't know about.......
I'm just curious, jbballfan, but where did you hear about St. George possibly getting a team and Omaha most likely getting a team?
Reply With Quote
  #19   IP: 70.112.28.248
Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
ChumpDumper's Avatar
ChumpDumper ChumpDumper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Las Vegas I would like to see one there that arena is about the right size
The Thomas & Mack Center is too big as well as the two arenas that are being planned on the strip and downtown. The arena at the Orleans casino would do; the hockey team draws well there though the arena football team didn't. I imagine the city would rather push for an NBA team.
Reply With Quote
  #20   IP: 209.159.226.116
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 PM
jjbballfan jjbballfan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRoverUT60 View Post
I'm just curious, jbballfan, but where did you hear about St. George possibly getting a team and Omaha most likely getting a team?
I've heard Omaha's name quite a bit I live just across the boarder in SD, I heard that everything is taken care of they were thinking of joining last year but wanted to see how Iowa did before they made the call..... St. George I've heard is a possibility because the Flash want a rivalry and there owner is trying to get somebody to put a team up there.... just hearsay though on St. George......

I was thinking about the arena that the college game was at..... I think Las Vegas would be a tricky market you would have to know how to do it get Casinos to buy season tickets to give to customers and so on... Every NBA scout would be there also but you would have to get a gm that knew what he was doing there..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Hapening ImgHappening Now