OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11   IP: 24.155.128.3
Old 03-20-2007, 02:17 PM
indoor fan indoor fan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 781
Default

I am really suprised that there are that many indoor teams that have been around for more than 5 years. I guess it is possible to run an indoor football organization and be successful off the field.

I believe the Kansas Koyotes will be going on year 5 this year, as well.
Reply With Quote
  #12   IP: 75.51.38.64
Old 03-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Minor League Man Minor League Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Racine, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,314
Default

The longest-running indoor football team is now known as the Johnstown Riverhawks.

Topeka Knights 1999-2000
Topeka Kings 2000
Tennessee ThunderCats 2001-2002
Tennessee Riverhawks 2003
Greenville Riverhawks 2004
Lancaster Riverhawks 2004
Johnstown Riverhawks 2005-present
__________________
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...
Reply With Quote
  #13   IP: 162.88.11.25
Old 03-20-2007, 03:16 PM
tgbob tgbob is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Default

The Ohio Valley Greyhounds are tied with the Johnstown Riverhawks for the longest, I believe. The Greyhounds were originally known as the Steel Valley Smash, and began play in 1999 in the IFL just like the Topeka team. After the AF2/Predators buyout, the Smash organization went to the NIFL and became the Greyhounds.
Reply With Quote
  #14   IP: 71.86.200.154
Old 03-20-2007, 03:34 PM
preeths's Avatar
preeths preeths is offline
Administrator
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor League Man View Post
The longest-running indoor football team is now known as the Johnstown Riverhawks.

Topeka Knights 1999-2000
Topeka Kings 2000
Tennessee ThunderCats 2001-2002
Tennessee Riverhawks 2003
Greenville Riverhawks 2004
Lancaster Riverhawks 2004
Johnstown Riverhawks 2005-present
No, all the IFL teams that did not go to af2 folded. When OPE bought the IFL, George Lemon had already been kicked out as owner of Topeka, hence the name change, and Lincon was the only other team not owned by Keary Ecklund. Ecklund sold it all to OPE, which chose to close down most of the teams. Some of the markets such as Casper and Wheeling gained new teams, sometimes with players and front office personnel from the old, but they were new organizations.
__________________
OurSports Central - //www.oursportscentral.com
OSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/oursportscentral
OSC on Twitter: http://twitter.com/osctoday
Reply With Quote
  #15   IP: 68.204.45.126
Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 PM
tony-o tony-o is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 525
Default

Including AFL, it would be the Tampa Bay Storm who played originally as the Pittsburgh Gladiators. They are the only team left from the AFL's first year.

The Beaumont Drillers has been around since 2000, when they were the Louisiana Rangers. The Rock River Raptors also have been around since 2000 when they were the original Tennessee Valley Vipers.

Birmingham(af2), Arkansas(af2), Quad Cities(af2), Wyoming(NIFL), Tulsa(af2) and Omaha(UIF) have been around in the same city since 2000.
Reply With Quote
  #16   IP: 209.159.223.188
Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM
jjbballfan jjbballfan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-o View Post
Including AFL, it would be the Tampa Bay Storm who played originally as the Pittsburgh Gladiators. They are the only team left from the AFL's first year.

The Beaumont Drillers has been around since 2000, when they were the Louisiana Rangers. The Rock River Raptors also have been around since 2000 when they were the original Tennessee Valley Vipers.

Birmingham(af2), Arkansas(af2), Quad Cities(af2), Wyoming(NIFL), Tulsa(af2) and Omaha(UIF) have been around in the same city since 2000.

Sioux Falls has had a franchise since 2000-- first was the Cobra's then in 01 changed to the storm.. Seem's to me to be the most stable franchise in minor league football
Reply With Quote
  #17   IP: 67.165.46.95
Old 03-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Sykotyk's Avatar
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Steubenville, OH
Posts: 464
Default

Ohio Valley Greyhounds started in 1999 as the Steel Valley Smash. So, they stayed in the same city the longest, just couldn't keep the same name. The oldest team in all of indoor football (not counting AFL/AF2 which I consider 'arena football') would be the Beaumont Drillers. I haven't gotten confirmation, but the original Louisiana Bayou Beast of 1998 moved to Alexandria in 2000 to become the Louisiana Rangers. The rangers joined the NIFL in 2001 as a charter member, and moved to Beaumont to become the Drillers in 2003.

Oldest, overall: Beaumont Drillers (1998- )
Oldest in one city: Ohio Valley Greyhounds [Wheeling, WV] (1999- )
Oldest in one city, same name: Omaha Beef (2000- )
Oldest in one city, same league/name: Wyoming Cavalry, NIFL (2001- )

Sykotyk
__________________
Sykotyk's Super Trip - 10,473 miles, 48 states, 16 days
Reply With Quote
  #18   IP: 209.159.206.183
Old 03-20-2007, 05:53 PM
The Abyss's Avatar
The Abyss The Abyss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 110
Default

sioux city was the attack in 2000 and became the bandits in 2001. Between Sioux City and Sioux Falls they are to me the most stable teams as far as longevity with sioux city having a slight edge cuz we have a brand new and better arena.

Last edited by The Abyss; 03-20-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19   IP: 68.204.45.126
Old 03-21-2007, 05:42 PM
tony-o tony-o is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Ohio Valley Greyhounds started in 1999 as the Steel Valley Smash. So, they stayed in the same city the longest, just couldn't keep the same name. The oldest team in all of indoor football (not counting AFL/AF2 which I consider 'arena football') would be the Beaumont Drillers. I haven't gotten confirmation, but the original Louisiana Bayou Beast of 1998 moved to Alexandria in 2000 to become the Louisiana Rangers. The rangers joined the NIFL in 2001 as a charter member, and moved to Beaumont to become the Drillers in 2003.

Oldest, overall: Beaumont Drillers (1998- )
Oldest in one city: Ohio Valley Greyhounds [Wheeling, WV] (1999- )
Oldest in one city, same name: Omaha Beef (2000- )
Oldest in one city, same league/name: Wyoming Cavalry, NIFL (2001- )

Sykotyk
The Rangers and Bayou Beast were two seperate teams. The Bayou Beast moved to the NIFL before the 2000 season so the IPFL brought in the Rangers, who moved to the NIFL the next year. The oldest team would be the Ohio Valley Greyhounds then.
Reply With Quote
  #20   IP: 67.165.46.95
Old 03-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Sykotyk's Avatar
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Steubenville, OH
Posts: 464
Default

The NIFL didn't start until the 2001 season. I haven't gotten confirmation of it. And I hate going off a Wikipedia article, but they did have a source listed that at one time was able collaborate it.

I have no info, and the person who posted history about the Louisiana Rangers had mentioned a tie to the Bayou Beast years ago. I forget just 'who' that was, they might still post under a different name. That was back before OSC went to the sign-on boards.

Sykotyk
__________________
Sykotyk's Super Trip - 10,473 miles, 48 states, 16 days
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Hapening ImgHappening Now