OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#11   IP: 71.85.242.36
Old 06-15-2006, 11:44 AM

ya Sorry

after i re- read the question i got it..... Actually i think he only works for the league now, he is not on the rage website as a employee.... So i guess it is none....

Last edited by ragefan; 06-15-2006 at 12:02 PM.
  #12   IP: 71.85.242.36
Old 06-15-2006, 12:01 PM

gunsmoke.... What the *ell !!!! I did not mean any of whatever your spewing...

I do not support the league here.. I support the owners who are trying to make a go of a really poorly run NIFL. I support the RAGE.. The new owners of the Rage are great to their fans... They are only 2 years into this mess of a league they did not choose this league they took over a team, the believers who were already in this league ....So they were stuck to compete in the NIFL... Cost wise i am sure the other leagues would make a better fit since most teams are a bus ride away, but what can an owner do ?

Should the Rage owners follow suit of all the crappy owners and shut down and fold because the NIFL sucks?? Nice way to treat the fans and players and staff. It is better to play in the NIFL than not play at all .

No i think the owners will stick it out and put a great product on the field and play football...and hopfully win a championship this year... who knows what next year may bring..

Last edited by ragefan; 06-15-2006 at 12:04 PM.
  #13   IP: 64.6.106.18
Old 06-15-2006, 12:17 PM

I'm not stupid enough to invest in the NIFL.
But it sounds like you are.
  #14   IP: 71.85.242.36
Old 06-15-2006, 01:56 PM

do you go to the games????? If so guess what you are investing in the NIFL
  #15   IP: 68.117.3.56
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I think we're all talking about the same thing, but approaching it from different angles. To be honest, unless we talk about particular leagues, we can't even hazard much of a guess about how much it will cost a team to move from the NIFL to said league. That is most likely private between the "other" league(s) and the team, so it's hard to say if it's too much or worth the investment. So unless someone comes up with numbers, we're really just arguing in circles.
  #16   IP: 70.177.21.131
Old 06-15-2006, 04:37 PM

Most owners at this level are working stiffs, just like many of us, they've just been successful, maybe made some wise investments, etc. Most are far from the do nothing on a day by day basis, just sit back and count their millions.

Their teams for the most part are another investment, one that needs to pay for itself. Some have said that cancelled games, games against sub par competition, etc, eat into their investment and it does.

Most have already invested much into their current league and to jump to another may indeed be another out of pocket expense, but at some point owners have to decide where their investment is better protected and has the best chance of growing, even if that means laying out more dollars.

Someone said something about sitting out and just watching for a year or something like that. Teams that sit out a year rarely ever return. First it distroys a certain amount of credibility in their market, credibility they have built and would have to rebuild to some extent upon their return. In my opinion those considering sitting out are just better off calling it quits.

There are good teams in all the leagues out there and those that feel their league is no longer the best place for them have options. Those options may cost money, but there again if they are a so called desired team because of being a solid franchise and/or because they fit another leagues landscape would be in a position to cut a good deal to jump. All leagues have been known to cut sweet deals with teams they really want.

I'm not pushing the PIFL here, just want to see the good teams in solid leagues that will help bring back some of the respect for this game that others have taken away from it.
  #17   IP: 64.6.106.18
Old 06-16-2006, 06:05 AM

ragefan, I receive free tickets from a player.
If he didn't play, to be honest, I probably wouldn't even
know there was a team in Cincinnati.
  #18   IP: 216.196.156.109
Old 06-16-2006, 07:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to MarshalsFAN80 Send a message via Skype™ to MarshalsFAN80
Default Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside source
Someone said something about sitting out and just watching for a year or something like that. Teams that sit out a year rarely ever return. First it distroys a certain amount of credibility in their market, credibility they have built and would have to rebuild to some extent upon their return. In my opinion those considering sitting out are just better off calling it quits.
My comment was that I was going to sit back for a season and see how the PIFL develops before I would invest in it or encourage others to do the same. While I think that the concept is great...I don't know how it's going to work. There is a reason that I don't run a league or run a team at the current time...I can't get anyone to EVER give me a START.

I don't mind working hard for little pay if I gain some experience. I think that the experience that I gain will pay off in the long run.

I realize that the owners in leagues like the NIFL aren't like NFL owners. I know that they have other jobs that they tend to and things of that nature. I get it. I just think that teams that don't put enough into marketing their product or find a Marketing Company to do that for them aren't really going to have a chance to survive.

Let's use Cincinnati as an example here. (Note: I'm not trying to BASH the Marshals because I think they are heading in the right direction) In a Major League City, such as Cincinnati, for the most part minor league teams don't survive. We can look at the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL as an example because they have suspended operations for 2 years and are returning now that the AHL Railraiders failed to get their 2,000 season ticket holders as an example. If 2,000 people won't get season tickets for AHL what makes the Clones believe that people will pay more to see a lower league?

The advantage that the Marshals have is that their ticket price is at a level that a family of 4 can attend a game for $46 including parking (as long as their isn't a Reds game) *parking goes from $6 to $10-20 depending on where you park* Now here is your biggest problem...you compete DIRECTLY with the REDS twice a year. If your schedule and the Reds' schedule conflicts, YOU LOOSE OUT. There has to be some way to work around that. Seriously, if you are right next to a Major League Ballpark, that is a serious amount of competition, Especially for a second year team.

What I would like to see before next season starts is a media BLITZ...marketing like CRAZY before the season. If that means walking around and handing out flyers about the Marshals at Bengals games I would do it as long as the Bengals give the OK. There is a market for indoor football in Major League Cities....it just has to be in your face advertising!
  #19   IP: 68.117.3.56
Old 06-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The problem, of course, is that media blitzes in big markets cost far more than in small or medium markets. You have more businesses competing for those prime ad spots than you do in smaller cities. You really have to spend extra wisely on advertising in a big city, but I agree, you do have to advertise.
  #20   IP: 24.175.127.28
Old 06-16-2006, 11:31 AM

Default larger markets

i agree with preeths in a larger city like houston, katy is west of the bayou city, you have to compete against more to get that sports dollar. Just this year Katy has competed with Rodeo Houston, Houston Aeros, Houston Rockets, Houston Comets, Rice (NCAA Baseball Regionals and Super Regional),Houston Astros, Houston Dynamo (MLS), 3 Major Universities, --- It takes 2 years at least to get the word out --- Katy has been supportive, just imagine next year when Houston starts driving out to the game.