OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #371   IP: 63.240.123.12
Old 02-07-2012, 03:32 PM
ABARedWhiteBlue's Avatar
ABARedWhiteBlue ABARedWhiteBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppajohn View Post
Sportswriter familiar with junior college Lamar-Port Arthur says he has no recollection of a Hellion Knight on the Seahawks' coaching staff, past or present.

I found a link with his name listed:

athletics.lamarpa.edu/Portals/3/basketball/11-12ROSTER.pdf
__________________
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K"
Quote:
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity
Reply With Quote
  #372   IP: 68.206.47.121
Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 PM
poppajohn poppajohn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 130
Default Hellion Who?

My search produced only this:

http://www.myspace.com/ballin_boog
Reply With Quote
  #373   IP: 70.189.168.147
Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 PM
SK10171996 SK10171996 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 70
Default

[QUOTE=The Sweeper;161468]Grab your spell checker, folks.

http://abalive.com/aba-featured-news...x-next-season/


FAB 1 is Kevin Williams, a life long resident of Houston who has always loved basketball. He played at Forest Brook High and at Huston Tillotson College in Austin TX. He has a vast knowledge of the game and in community service. Kevin will serve as President/CEO.


--
Vast knowledge of community service? Hopefully FAB 4 or FAB 5 bailed him out at some point!
Reply With Quote
  #374   IP: 95.154.230.191
Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Sam Hill's Avatar
Sam Hill Sam Hill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,142
Default

Is Fab Morvan involved?

__________________
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.
Reply With Quote
  #375   IP: 216.66.124.18
Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 AM
The Sweeper The Sweeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,001
Default

http://abalive.com/aba-featured-news...pansion-teams/
Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) www.abalive.com today announced that it has added Yakima, WA to its growing list of expansion teams for next season and that the Yakima Vipers will compete in the Pacific Northwest Division (PacNW). “Yakima has an excellent history of supporting professional basketball and was one of the best cities in the old CBA,” said Joe Newman, ABA CEO. “The fan, sponsor and community support was excellent and the city has been ready to have a team for several years. Now, they have one under the leadership of two enterprising young men, Tim Spradlin and Michael Crenshaw. We think Yakima will love the exciting brand of ABA basketball with its fast-paced action and its very affordable ticket prices. We’re excited to have them in the ABA.”
“I have been around basketball for 20 plus years: I was born and raised in the Yakima Valley, I have a great family, was in the Washington National Guard,” stated Spradlin. “I’ve been a player and fan and a student of the game. We are honored to be a part of the ABA and the PacNW division. We hope we can make it the best division in the ABA. My partner Mike will handle the business end which is very important, I will serve as the co-owner, head of basketball operations and head coach.”

“We look forward to this new chapter in Yakima sports,” added Crenshaw. “We hope to bring the city a championship team and to add to the great history of Yakima basketball. A personal note of thanks goes out to Don Sims, PacNW Division Chairman, for his help in making this happen. We are so happy to be a part of the ABA.”

The team name will be the Yakima Vipers with team colors being black, red and white. Complete details about the March 24th tryouts will follow though you can get more information about the team, the tryouts by emailing yakimavipers1@yahoo.com or calling 509 731 0020; or call Michael Crenshaw at 509 406 3616 or email yakimavipers@gmail.com.

The website is under construction, but you can go to http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...basketball&t=c - or visit www.abalive.com.
__________________
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.
Reply With Quote
  #376   IP: 24.189.104.65
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 PM
ABARedWhiteBlue's Avatar
ABARedWhiteBlue ABARedWhiteBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweeper View Post
http://abalive.com/aba-featured-news...pansion-teams/
Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) www.abalive.com today announced that it has added Yakima, WA to its growing list of expansion teams for next season and that the Yakima Vipers will compete in the Pacific Northwest Division (PacNW). “Yakima has an excellent history of supporting professional basketball and was one of the best cities in the old CBA,” said Joe Newman, ABA CEO. “The fan, sponsor and community support was excellent and the city has been ready to have a team for several years. Now, they have one under the leadership of two enterprising young men, Tim Spradlin and Michael Crenshaw. We think Yakima will love the exciting brand of ABA basketball with its fast-paced action and its very affordable ticket prices. We’re excited to have them in the ABA.”
“I have been around basketball for 20 plus years: I was born and raised in the Yakima Valley, I have a great family, was in the Washington National Guard,” stated Spradlin. “I’ve been a player and fan and a student of the game. We are honored to be a part of the ABA and the PacNW division. We hope we can make it the best division in the ABA. My partner Mike will handle the business end which is very important, I will serve as the co-owner, head of basketball operations and head coach.”

“We look forward to this new chapter in Yakima sports,” added Crenshaw. “We hope to bring the city a championship team and to add to the great history of Yakima basketball. A personal note of thanks goes out to Don Sims, PacNW Division Chairman, for his help in making this happen. We are so happy to be a part of the ABA.”

The team name will be the Yakima Vipers with team colors being black, red and white. Complete details about the March 24th tryouts will follow though you can get more information about the team, the tryouts by emailing yakimavipers1@yahoo.com or calling 509 731 0020; or call Michael Crenshaw at 509 406 3616 or email yakimavipers@gmail.com.

The website is under construction, but you can go to http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...basketball&t=c - or visit www.abalive.com.
Hey Joe - remember the last time you tried Yakima? I do:

//zww.oursportscentral.com/boar...68&postcount=1

http://sportsyakima.com/2009/10/game...-in-on-yakima/

It's deja New-man time....
__________________
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K"
Quote:
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity
Reply With Quote
  #377   IP: 75.118.156.246
Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 PM
tops804 tops804 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABARedWhiteBlue View Post
Hey Joe - remember the last time you tried Yakima? I do:

//zww.oursportscentral.com/boar...68&postcount=1

http://sportsyakima.com/2009/10/game...-in-on-yakima/

It's deja New-man time....
Ahhhh yes....Weren't the mystical Washington/Fresno Raptors a part of this saga?

Who knows, maybe the unpaid teenage intern is old enough to vote, play, or own by now...

More comedy from Yakima in 2009 can be found here: //www.w.oursportscentral.com/bo...ad.php?t=15914
__________________
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Last edited by tops804; 02-12-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #378   IP: 24.189.104.65
Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 AM
ABARedWhiteBlue's Avatar
ABARedWhiteBlue ABARedWhiteBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,293
Default

Giant flashing warning sign alert:

http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/201...ba-ar-1708892/

Quote:
'Linsanity' proves inspiration for upstart Lynchburg ABA team


Darrell Laurant

By: DAVE THOMPSON | Lynchburg News and Advance

“So,” I asked Aaron Smith earlier this week, “are your players talking a lot about Jeremy Lin?”

Smith, the first-year coach of the first-year Lynchburg Legends, chuckled.

“Oh, yeah,” he said.

In case you’re not a sports fan, or have been in a coma for the last month, Jeremy Lin is the flavor of the year in pro basketball. Cut from two teams earlier this season, a graduate of Harvard (not exactly a basketball factory), Lin was thrust into the New York Knicks’ starting lineup because of injuries and became an instant hoops hero. Although he was born and raised in the U.S., he probably could run for president of China right now — if the Chinese could vote.

On two continents, the buzz over Lin has become a roar. They call it “Linsanity.”

And the Legends’ players have noticed, for there is a Jeremy Lin inside all of them — or so they’d like to believe. Basketball dreams die harder than most other sports aspirations, and for 11 Legends players, Lynchburg’s American Basketball Association team is a way of keeping that dream on life support.

The guiding force behind the Legends, who play amidst the funky charm of the Lynchburg Armory, is self-confessed basketball junkie Derek Polley.

This is not some armchair owner with cash to burn.

“When I looked into starting a team here, I was told there was an entrance fee,” Polley said. “It took me nine months to save up for it.”

When, as sometimes happens, the Legends are light a couple of players at one of their twice-a-week practices, Polley and Smith will suit up and take the court.

“If I wasn’t the team owner, I’d be on the roster,” said Polley, a Texas native who majored in business at Liberty University.

Polley admitted he experienced some anxiety before the team’s first home game.

“I looked out at the Armory before the game and thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be great to see this place filled?’” he recalled. “Then I thought, ‘What if it’s empty?’ I just decided to rely on faith.”

The reality has been somewhere between full and empty, but the Legends have drawn as many as 600 local fans en route to a surprising 12-4 record. It doesn’t hurt most of the team played high school basketball.

Frisco Sandidge was a star at Heritage High School and later Delaware State. Damien Hubbard played for Liberty. Kenny Hunt is the all-time leading scorer at Altavista High School.

“We’ve got several guys who could average 30 points a game if they got the ball all the time,” Smith said. “They’re fun to watch.”

This is a team that practices at the Salvation Army gymnasium. They started the season with a bus, but it threw a bearing and forced them to rent vans.

Last year at this time, former Lynchburg College player Smith was working for the Boys & Girls Club, trying to keep Lynchburg children out of gangs. He’s a first-time head coach, and admits: “I’m learning as I go along.”

None of this makes the slightest dent in a full-blown basketball dream, however. The Legends, who face the Richmond Elite at home Saturday night, are already one of 32 teams to make the playoffs in the nationwide, 90-team ABA.

“The further we go,” Smith said, “the more our players will be noticed. Most of them are hoping to one day play overseas, or maybe even in the NBA.”

Hey, Jeremy Lin did it.
__________________
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K"
Quote:
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity
Reply With Quote
  #379   IP: 2.81.58.251
Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 AM
beach79 beach79 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Default Its not to ard.

[QUOTE=ABARedWhiteBlue;161967]Giant flashing warning sign alert:

http://www.lakewood-rise.com/
http://birminghamblitz.com/
Reply With Quote
  #380   IP: 2.81.58.251
Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 AM
beach79 beach79 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Default

http://birminghamblitz.com/
www.lakewood-rise.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


                       
                                                   
                                                                                             
                           

Hapening ImgHappening Now