OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31   IP: 64.128.56.16
Old 06-02-2006, 12:46 PM
ChampionOfSteel's Avatar
ChampionOfSteel ChampionOfSteel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwp
COS definitely needs to take a moment to read the expansion guidelines.

http://71.18.64.56/regions.htm

Travel cost is an important issue to give the teams in the league a chance for success, IMO.
Think outside of the box. Those guildlines are fine...but self-imposed to keep the league "minor league" by the founder's own glass ceiling.

We are looking for a handful of Myles Tanebaum, Dr. Ted Dietrich, Argovitz, and Taube kind of guys (8 or more to be exact) -- successful heart surgeons, shopping mall developers, real estate developers, etc. We do not make sales presentations to a bunch of George Steinbrenner wannabes that are currently or former semi pro football coaches or semi pro owners that put out only $3,000 for a complete set of football uniforms.

Why drive a Chevy Chevette when you can drive a Corvette? It will not be Jerry's money that will be used, it will be filthy rich folks who get a high out of owning their own team who can brag about it to their circle of friends until the losses mount too much and the owner needs to sell the team (during the offseason) a few years later to someone else.

The NIFL brand of football is superior to the AFL game design. Why should the AFL get a network TV contract when the NIFL game design (whose defensive alignment rules are superior) does not?
__________________
If you don't let the people with the money know you prefer the NIFL game system, you won't see any stable leagues copying the NIFL game system for your enjoyment!

Speak up!

Marshal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbIlQYR1Qs LAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!

Last edited by ChampionOfSteel; 06-02-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32   IP: 216.220.15.211
Old 06-02-2006, 01:28 PM
outside source outside source is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 81
Default

I'll try to make this simple and of course I am using tunnel vision. To compete with the AFL means AFL size markets, the IPFL tried that and failed miserably.

But that's beside the point. I still believe in the concept that was started by the NIFL and IFL, midsize markets. It's a good concept, it's been proven to work from the standpoint of fans wanting it.

We do believe you have to start small and work your way up, but also doing it in a planned manner that benefits your members. The NIFL plan in my opinion ignores travel among other things. At this level I can't see the reason for say Tri-Cities having to fly to Beaumont. One, its expensive, two, I think fans would rather see games between teams that are geographically closer. That's not just my opinion, but what I get from fans.

Our vision is regional in nature, not national, although in time we coul;d have several regions, but they will be treated as such and only cross play when the playoffs come.

I can't completely dismiss CoS and what he says, much of it makes sense and we are listening and taking notes. I have learned that fans sometimes have better ideas than we who think we know it all. So keep talking and we'll keep listening.
Reply With Quote
  #33   IP: 70.177.21.131
Old 06-02-2006, 01:57 PM
yellowpages yellowpages is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 115
Default

Because of the lack of leadership in two of the indoor games biggest leagues, NIFL & AIFL, the perception as been warped. I agree with Champion that the indoor game is much better then the arena game. There just may be too much damage control to get an indoor league to the level of the AFL right from the start. Heck, it's taken the AFL 20 years to get to where they're at today. Champion has some good ideas but, it will take sometime to acomplish them.
Reply With Quote
  #34   IP: 216.220.15.211
Old 06-02-2006, 02:02 PM
outside source outside source is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 81
Default

Regardless of the size of the league, it can be as professional in its operation as any league above it. In my opinion professional at all levels is the key to success in the long run.
Reply With Quote
  #35   IP: 64.128.56.16
Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
ChampionOfSteel's Avatar
ChampionOfSteel ChampionOfSteel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside source
Regardless of the size of the league, it can be as professional in its operation as any league above it. In my opinion professional at all levels is the key to success in the long run.
Agree.

You can either shoot for the stars and make it the indoor version of the NFL and operate on a balanced and huge budget or make it the indoor version of the East Coast Hockey League and operate on a balanced but small budget.

Either way is acceptable and honorable as long as all teams in the league make it thru an entire season of play from start to finish.

The next is for you to make 3 or more objectives for each of your listed goals (PIFL Fan's Bill of Rights).

For you first goal of "Every team makes it thru entire season...." Your objectives could be (but not limited to):

1) Each team ownership must have a personal debt/equity ratio of ( fill in the blank ).

2) Each team ownership must have a (fill in the blank/dollar quantity) line of credit.

3) Each team must (fill in the blank/dollar quantity) of payable into a league escrow account.

4) Each team owner must have assets with a liquidity ratio of (fill-in-the blank). This 4th objective will cut down on folks like Clinton Manges who could not convert his oil holdings into cash fast enough to pay his players.

5) Each team owner must have no major breaches of integrity with white-collared crime which includes past money laundering activity.

6) Each team owner must have a personal net worth of (fill in the blank).
__________________
If you don't let the people with the money know you prefer the NIFL game system, you won't see any stable leagues copying the NIFL game system for your enjoyment!

Speak up!

Marshal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbIlQYR1Qs LAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #36   IP: 216.220.15.211
Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
outside source outside source is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 81
Default

If anyone has questions about the PIFL, ask them here and I'll try to get them answered. There are things I can't answer, simply because I may not know, there are others I may not be able to answer do to legal issues. But I'll do my best.
Reply With Quote
  #37   IP: 68.117.3.56
Old 06-02-2006, 02:32 PM
preeths's Avatar
preeths preeths is offline
Administrator
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,456
Default

CoS, no one would like to see the USFL reincarnated more than I would, but the economics simply won't work indoors. If you enter major markets, you're either going to have to do so in the fall and compete against the NFL, college and high school ball, run head-to-head against the AFL and compete for arenas and fans, or compete with late summer and all there is to do then. Because of its short history, the real rich won't be able to brag about owning indoor football teams, the way you could with a pro outdoor team, so it's not a big draw for them. Wish it was. Also, major markets mean spending more to get noticed. You'll have to draw well very well right off the bat just to not get killed financially. Let's not even look at travel costs, player costs (local guys won't do it if you're going big) and all the rest. Regional leagues in small to mid-size markets look like the only way to get for the forseeable future.
__________________
OurSports Central - //www.oursportscentral.com
OSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/oursportscentral
OSC on Twitter: http://twitter.com/osctoday
Reply With Quote
  #38   IP: 216.220.15.211
Old 06-02-2006, 02:37 PM
outside source outside source is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionOfSteel
Agree.

You can either shoot for the stars and make it the indoor version of the NFL and operate on a balanced and huge budget or make it the indoor version of the East Coast Hockey League and operate on a balanced but small budget.

Either way is acceptable and honorable as long as all teams in the league make it thru an entire season of play from start to finish.

The next is for you to make 3 or more objectives for each of your listed goals (PIFL Fan's Bill of Rights).

For you first goal of "Every team makes it thru entire season...." Your objectives could be (but not limited to):

1) Each team ownership must have a personal debt/equity ratio of ( fill in the blank ).

2) Each team ownership must have a (fill in the blank/dollar quantity) line of credit.

3) Each team must (fill in the blank/dollar quantity) of payable into a league escrow account.

4) Each team owner must have assets with a liquidity ratio of (fill-in-the blank). This 4th objective will cut down on folks like Clinton Manges who could not convert his oil holdings into cash fast enough to pay his players.

5) Each team owner must have no major breaches of integrity with white-collared crime which includes past money laundering activity.

6) Each team owner must have a personal net worth of (fill in the blank).
OK funny sort of, we've already addressed those issues in one way or another, but we feel we have solid options there, just haven't settled on one, WE're still doing some research in the best and most economical way to guarentee teams finish as advertised. First step is to make sure they really can afford a team and that we are committed to.
Reply With Quote
  #39   IP: 64.128.56.16
Old 06-02-2006, 02:41 PM
ChampionOfSteel's Avatar
ChampionOfSteel ChampionOfSteel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeths
CoS, no one would like to see the USFL reincarnated more than I would, but the economics simply won't work indoors. If you enter major markets, you're either going to have to do so in the fall and compete against the NFL, college and high school ball, run head-to-head against the AFL and compete for arenas and fans, or compete with late summer and all there is to do then. Because of its short history, the real rich won't be able to brag about owning indoor football teams, the way you could with a pro outdoor team, so it's not a big draw for them. Wish it was. Also, major markets mean spending more to get noticed. You'll have to draw well very well right off the bat just to not get killed financially. Let's not even look at travel costs, player costs (local guys won't do it if you're going big) and all the rest. Regional leagues in small to mid-size markets look like the only way to get for the forseeable future.
Again, it won't be Jerry H's money at work here. The financial committment between a 50 man football squad versus a 25 man squad is huge. The Dr. Ted Dietrich's fly to owners meetings at a whim. We are not looking at the semi pro owners. We are dealing with filthy rich folks.

We aren't looking for 12 owners and eventually 18 teams. We are looking at 8 teams for the first 10 years of play (like MLS soccer). We are also looking at the same NIFL pay scale for players ($200-250 per player per game played).

I don't see a problem in a bunch of rich folks blowing their money at considerably fractional levels when compared to the USFL. They won't be hurt. They do exist and would have a blast doing it again. Ask the spirit of John Bassett -- WFL Memphis Southmen and USFL Tampa Bay Bandits.

Jerry has to believe the NIFL game is more entertaining than the AFL if he chooses to shoot for the stars. That's where the analysis begins, not ends.

Sales point: videotape an NIFL game that emphasizes what happens on downs 1 thru 3 when compared to the AFL game.
__________________
If you don't let the people with the money know you prefer the NIFL game system, you won't see any stable leagues copying the NIFL game system for your enjoyment!

Speak up!

Marshal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbIlQYR1Qs LAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!

Last edited by ChampionOfSteel; 06-02-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40   IP: 64.128.56.16
Old 06-02-2006, 02:47 PM
ChampionOfSteel's Avatar
ChampionOfSteel ChampionOfSteel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside source
OK funny sort of, we've already addressed those issues in one way or another, but we feel we have solid options there, just haven't settled on one, WE're still doing some research in the best and most economical way to guarentee teams finish as advertised. First step is to make sure they really can afford a team and that we are committed to.
You need specific criteria so you won't get burnt. A checklist of sorts.
__________________
If you don't let the people with the money know you prefer the NIFL game system, you won't see any stable leagues copying the NIFL game system for your enjoyment!

Speak up!

Marshal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbIlQYR1Qs LAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Hapening ImgHappening Now