OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31   IP: 205.188.116.12
Old 09-28-2011, 05:15 PM
coachingubigr coachingubigr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 824
Send a message via AIM to coachingubigr
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeths View Post
Some of the places the NIFL claimed as home arenas the final year would make Harrisburg's place look like the Staples Center. Also, I don't believe Harrisburg was using indoor/outdoor carpet as turf or inflatable mattresses as dasher pads.
I went to the Richmond/Harrisburg game last season in Harrisburg. It was funny watching football in a rodeo arena. The venue is less than 10 years old so its not in bad shape. Also it was funny to see security gaurds ask fans for balls back that had been thrown out of bounds.
Reply With Quote
  #32   IP: 71.84.164.69
Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM
BananaCat's Avatar
BananaCat BananaCat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry101jlh View Post
I am past creating fire maps, sorry lol
Too bad, I loved your fire maps (your finest creation ever). I also loved the doom and gloom commentary that went along with them, and that wasn't even the NIFL's last season. Imagine the map of fire you could've made in their last season...lol.
__________________
.
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #33   IP: 96.8.161.138
Old 09-29-2011, 06:55 AM
jerry101jlh jerry101jlh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaCat View Post
Too bad, I loved your fire maps (your finest creation ever). I also loved the doom and gloom commentary that went along with them, and that wasn't even the NIFL's last season. Imagine the map of fire you could've made in their last season...lol.
Indoor football and me parted ways after that season. Even the most jaded of us sometimes get burnt out from all the drama and need to step away. Then I come back only to find out I haven't missed anything, same ol song and dance being played out.

The NIFL had its problems and no one can deny that, but when I look back on the NIFL I see where CS had a great idea for mid size cities to get into the game and that has proved to work. Without the NIFL I wonder if the sport would even be around today or if we'd just be stuck with the AFL?

Much more difficult to predict failure or problems today, at least for me. I had the advantage back then in knowing too well how CS operated and could more easily read between the lines. She was more a creature of habit than some today and with her I always knew there would be no surprises, so easy to predict and find problems.
Reply With Quote
  #34   IP: 99.111.219.81
Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 PM
preeths's Avatar
preeths preeths is offline
Administrator
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,456
Default

One could also argue that many of the sport's current weaknesses had their genesis in the NIFL, especially allowing in weak ownership en masse. The idea for indoor football in midsize cities did not originate in the NIFL. I'm confident the indoor game would have survived had the NIFL never lived. It might have even been better off.
__________________
OurSports Central - //www.oursportscentral.com
OSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/oursportscentral
OSC on Twitter: http://twitter.com/osctoday
Reply With Quote
  #35   IP: 96.8.161.138
Old 09-29-2011, 03:06 PM
jerry101jlh jerry101jlh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeths View Post
One could also argue that many of the sport's current weaknesses had their genesis in the NIFL, especially allowing in weak ownership en masse. The idea for indoor football in midsize cities did not originate in the NIFL. I'm confident the indoor game would have survived had the NIFL never lived. It might have even been better off.
All just speculation at this point. I might doubt the survival aspect though. At the time I didn't get the impression that the IFL castaways had an interest in starting their own league, but were only interested in joining a league. Granted had CS not started the NIFL the original AIFL under Dick Suess might have landed those teams, but if he hadn't, the af2 the only others interested. At that time we also had the IPFL still going, but it was still pretty much trying to compete against the AFL and was dying even though they may not have seen it. Other option, the APFL. Possible they would have started up regardless of any other leagues starting or not. But as I said, pure speculation at this point
Reply With Quote
  #36   IP: 71.84.164.69
Old 09-29-2011, 08:33 PM
BananaCat's Avatar
BananaCat BananaCat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeths View Post
One could also argue that many of the sport's current weaknesses had their genesis in the NIFL, especially allowing in weak ownership en masse. The idea for indoor football in midsize cities did not originate in the NIFL. I'm confident the indoor game would have survived had the NIFL never lived. It might have even been better off.
Totally agree.
__________________
.
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #37   IP: 99.111.219.81
Old 09-30-2011, 09:15 AM
preeths's Avatar
preeths preeths is offline
Administrator
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry101jlh View Post
All just speculation at this point. I might doubt the survival aspect though. At the time I didn't get the impression that the IFL castaways had an interest in starting their own league, but were only interested in joining a league. Granted had CS not started the NIFL the original AIFL under Dick Suess might have landed those teams, but if he hadn't, the af2 the only others interested. At that time we also had the IPFL still going, but it was still pretty much trying to compete against the AFL and was dying even though they may not have seen it. Other option, the APFL. Possible they would have started up regardless of any other leagues starting or not. But as I said, pure speculation at this point
I have no doubt the sport would have survived based on Keary Ecklund's mixed success alone. The NIFL filled a vacuum at one time. If it hadn't, someone else would have.
__________________
OurSports Central - //www.oursportscentral.com
OSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/oursportscentral
OSC on Twitter: http://twitter.com/osctoday
Reply With Quote
  #38   IP: 96.8.161.138
Old 09-30-2011, 11:26 AM
jerry101jlh jerry101jlh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeths View Post
I have no doubt the sport would have survived based on Keary Ecklund's mixed success alone. The NIFL filled a vacuum at one time. If it hadn't, someone else would have.
Of course all speculation at this point, but if any good came out of the NIFL it was enlarging the footprint of the sport on a more national level. The IPFL although national was in only a few selected areas and did little to make the sport known outside of those areas.

My bet on keeping the sport up and going had CS not would be Ralph Adams, founder of the APFL.
Reply With Quote
  #39   IP: 71.40.208.222
Old 09-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Gusher Gusher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 719
Default

Wow where would we be now if that would have happen. Well one thing is for sure we would'nt even bother checking league websites for updates.
Reply With Quote
  #40   IP: 99.111.219.81
Old 09-30-2011, 01:40 PM
preeths's Avatar
preeths preeths is offline
Administrator
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry101jlh View Post
Of course all speculation at this point, but if any good came out of the NIFL it was enlarging the footprint of the sport on a more national level. The IPFL although national was in only a few selected areas and did little to make the sport known outside of those areas.

My bet on keeping the sport up and going had CS not would be Ralph Adams, founder of the APFL.
I think the footprint was going to enlarge regardless. Even outside the PIFL/IPFL, Ecklund had teams stretched through three timezones. I'm not saying the NIFL did nothing to further the sport, but I think all things considered, the progress was minimal, and some things the NIFL did have set the sport back.
__________________
OurSports Central - //www.oursportscentral.com
OSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/oursportscentral
OSC on Twitter: http://twitter.com/osctoday
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


                       
                                                   
                                                                                             
                           

Hapening ImgHappening Now