OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#21   IP: 68.206.47.121
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeths View Post
I know there's at least one semi-pro league in Texas that's played a few seasons. Also, from what I'm told, the Mavs owner may be inclined to do his own thing. Both would have been better options this season. Anything is better than the ABA.
Rumor is that Lamar State College-Port Arthur will be home to ABA playoff games. Announcement expected Wednesday. This snippet leaked:

"The ABA has continued to grow in popularity among fans of all ages and areas
of the US, this affords the opportunity to bring the championship to all parts
of the country. The announcement comes with the league decision to play the
post season playoff games in the Southeast Texas area."
  #22   IP: 198.178.191.2
Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to LightningMan Send a message via AIM to LightningMan Send a message via MSN to LightningMan Send a message via Yahoo to LightningMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppajohn View Post
Rumor is that Lamar State College-Port Arthur will be home to ABA playoff games. Announcement expected Wednesday.
This would tend to suggest that they'll leave the ABA. So many ABA finals hosts leave in a season or two:
Code:
Season    | Host                  | Left ABA
=================================================
2003-2004 | Bakersfield Jam       | By 2005-2006
2004-2005 | Arkansas RimRockers   | By 2005-2006
2005-2006 | Rochester Razorsharks | By 2007-2008
2006-2007 | Vermont Frost Heaves  | By 2008-2009
2007-2008 | Quebec Kebs           | By 2008-2009
2008-2009 | Nashville Broncs*     | By 2010-2011
*Nashville / Music City actually ceased operations rather than leaving the league.
  #23   IP: 97.95.56.219
Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey, who called this? I know somebody here said the Mavs would end up hosting the playoffs.
  #24   IP: 24.248.161.158
Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 PM

http://www.lamarpa.edu/?url=/campus/...er-center.html
  #25   IP: 68.206.47.121
Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeths View Post
Hey, who called this? I know somebody here said the Mavs would end up hosting the playoffs.
Wasn't the scheduled Kansas City Stars but the SETX Mavericks won Tuesday night, according to a Beaumont TV station:

"The SETX Mavericks posted another win Tuesday night at home, defeating the Oklahoma Impact 130-95. The Mavericks were led by Josh Pace with 22 points. The Mavs have two regular season games left at Ford Arena (March 2 & 6) and then are expected to play their playoff games at the Parker Center in Port Arthur."

Anyone familiar with the Impact?
  #26   IP: 99.61.71.75
Old 02-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Default Oklahoma Impact

That team has been playing in the UBL spring league for a couple of seasons.

http://ublhoops.com/index_nav.html

I believe they have four, maybe five teams that have played multiple seasons, though the information is always scant.
  #27   IP: 68.206.47.121
Old 02-24-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Wasn't the scheduled Kansas City Stars but the SETX Mavericks won Tuesday night, according to a Beaumont TV station:

"The SETX Mavericks posted another win Tuesday night at home, defeating the Oklahoma Impact 130-95. The Mavericks were led by Josh Pace with 22 points. The Mavs have two regular season games left at Ford Arena (March 2 & 6) and then are expected to play their playoff games at the Parker Center in Port Arthur."

Anyone familiar with the Impact?
Playoffs or endurance contest? According to today's SETX Maverick website, the show continues until June 7:
"103 days, 22 hours, 29 minutes, 28 seconds until Countdown 'til ABA Finals."
  #28   IP: 209.62.62.43
Old 02-24-2010, 09:21 PM

Can you say Barnstorming. SE Texas has been paying the "YMCA" type teams to come into play SE TEXAS. That means transportation, game pay and lodging. MAybe this will be what the ABL will be like.

Oh wait... the BIG ABL organizational meeting in Houston is ..CANCELLED !!!
  #29   IP: 68.206.47.121
Old 02-24-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1sports View Post
Can you say Barnstorming. SE Texas has been paying the "YMCA" type teams to come into play SE TEXAS. That means transportation, game pay and lodging. MAybe this will be what the ABL will be like.

Oh wait... the BIG ABL organizational meeting in Houston is ..CANCELLED !!!
Put me down as too dense to figure out this ABA playoff business. The Mavericks coach said today that "with last night's victory the Mavs clinched the Southwest title to qualify for the playoffs." But the Oklahoma Impact, the team they beat Tuesday, is not in the ABA. So I guess a win is a win and counts in the standings, no matter who you play.
  #30   IP: 24.248.161.158
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Put me down as too dense to figure out this ABA playoff business. The Mavericks coach said today that "with last night's victory the Mavs clinched the Southwest title to qualify for the playoffs." But the Oklahoma Impact, the team they beat Tuesday, is not in the ABA. So I guess a win is a win and counts in the standings, no matter who you play.
In a league where there is no set schedule, no definitive lists of teams, no one has any idea of who is playing and who is folding, so anyone you play counts. If worse comes to worse, you go out to the local rec center at noon, recruit seven to 10 guys, give them generic jerseys from Dick's Sporting Goods, and poof, you have an ABA replacement team.
If we had an ABA team around here (KC doesn't count since no one can confirm their existence), with the college season winding down, I would go out and get a dozen Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and Heart of America Conference seniors and viola, my ABA replacement team. I'd charge ABA teams $1,200 a game plus gas, food and lodging, and pay my players $100 a game.
In the summer, I'd take them to the Sunflower State Games, some AAU-type adult tournaments and whatever, have them scrimmage college teams in the fall. Get some tapes. Maybe get a player or two a real pro look.
On second thought, @#%&* that. I want the ABA kool aid (cherry punch flavor) and I want to make oodles of money starting my own pro league. We'll go to China, Singapore, Alaska, Hawaii, Palu, and the Isle of Man and Nagorno-Karabakh. Send $10,000 to my private PO box at the local PO Boxes Are Us.