OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 74.167.186.60
Old 12-13-2008, 02:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to SignGuyDino
Default The official report on my visit to the SC Force tryouts

So I leave for my 1 1/2 hour trip to the indoor soccer center, where the tryouts were scheduled. I arrive there about the time I expected, only to be told that the tryouts were moved to an outdoor soccer center. Noticed they only had one small soccer field. I got directions. As I was about to leave, a player drove in because he was tipped off about the move and the directions were confusing.

We eventually got there (the sign showing the name of the soccer place wasn't seen until we passed it). I was there about 10:15. It was pretty cold, and the soccer fields were pretty wet in places. Players were just doing warmups, all with that t-shirt they were promised.

There was a massive amount of bodies there. The local Fox news crew was there (maybe at least 2 hours), as were at least one photojournalist. I whipped out my old webcam and carrying my laptop with me attempted to record some of the highlights. I'll attempt to load a couple on YouTube "later." Don't rely on great quality.

I am not a football guy, so I have to compare things as a frame of reference. The Ghostriders tryout drew maybe 50 people and in comparison was not nearly as organized as the tryout I went to today. They gave the player three rounds of 40 yards dashes from what I saw. They had tons of different drills organized all over the second soccer field (which also had football field goals). I recall the Ghostriders had maybe a handful of coaches and not many assistants. There were several assistant coaches (and more assistants helping out) running specific drills with the different kinds of players. Just about every type of football equipment you could think of instead of tackling dummies were there. Even had an electronic jumping test there.

Some parts of the field were tore all to hell due to the route drills around the pylons.

One of the things that caught my attention were they already had jackets and even toboggans embroidered with their team logo. Apparently some serious money and work was put into starting this team.

I took my son to lunch and came back about 40 minutes later and a lot of players were apparently already cut. There were 5 quarterbacks and about as many kickers who tried out.

I didn't get to talk to the owner, but briefly with one of his partners. I THINK they may another camp on January 10, they told me to check the website. (Didn't have the heart to ask them what the hell is with that flash intro.) They seem to have the organization of forming the team far more advanced than the website.

All in all, 126 showed up to try out. Obviously they didn't have enough room at the indoor soccer center for tryouts. And apparently some of the players brought cleats as well as the sneakers judging from the field.

I left about 1:30 and just got back.

Last edited by SignGuyDino; 12-13-2008 at 02:39 PM.
  #2   IP: 74.85.115.90
Old 12-13-2008, 03:43 PM

Can you confirm who the Head coach is and where he was involved before?

Thanks for the report it looks like Columbus may have a good team to play if they can keep the professonal atmosphere around.
  #3   IP: 74.167.186.60
Old 12-13-2008, 04:13 PM

No idea. Sorry.
  #4   IP: 71.194.140.216
Old 12-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Banned

Coach Galloway is his name, Check the former CIFL " NE Surge" to see if it is the same and if not he is the semi pro coach from the region.
  #5   IP: 64.12.116.10
Old 12-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Here's a story on the tryouts. Note they said "about 75." I was told 126. I thought it was around 100, but could have easily believed 126. Whatever, it was a good turnout on very short notice.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...10/1002/SPORTS
  #6   IP: 207.235.188.1
Old 12-17-2008, 02:00 PM

coach galloway was with the new england surge.
  #7   IP: 167.88.178.70
Old 12-19-2008, 01:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eazee-E

He also coached in the AF2 with the Carolina Rhinos. I look forward to hearing good things about this team.