View Single Post
  IP: 24.177.105.49
Old 10-18-2007, 04:14 PM

This is the way I see it.

USHL. = About 50% of the players go to D-1. A few years ago I counted in the let's play hockey magazine that out of 250 players , 125 of them signed with D-1 teams. I also found out that the top 5% of Minnesota high school players will go right to D-1 and no need for JR hockey. The rest will have a verbal or sign and play one year of JR hockey, this is why the D-1 schools don't need to red-shirt the players anymore when they can use the USHL program for this and it also cuts cost for the D-1 schools budgets.

NAHL = I see this level of JR hockey for some of the players that are younger and need more time to grow. Most of the players will get D-3 spots and go have fun and get a good education and some will just play to have some more fun and playing time after high school. The NAHL is getting stronger and stronger every year. I'm starting to see more and more players getting on some D-1 teams. There not all top notch D-1 teams but hey , D-1 is D-1 hockey. When the NAHL first started I think there was only about 10% that went D-1. Now it seems to me that it's up to about 20% to 30% that get signed to the D-1.

It's kinda funny in Minnesota because alot of people forget there is more D-1 teams in this hockey world than the WCHA leauge. Don't get me wrong , almost every kid from Minnesota wants to play for the Minnesota Gophers. There are some very good D-1 team out east too. " LET'S PLAY HOCKEY "