View Single Post
  IP: 99.247.129.88
Old 06-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Ribeiro hero for Impact

Ribeiro hero for Impact
Impact 1, Isles 0. Scores winner in extra time
PAT HICKEY, The Gazette
Published: Saturday, June 30, 2007

Antonio Ribeiro knows a thing or two about patience.

He was patient earlier this season when he wasn't getting a lot of playing time with the Impact.

And he was patient when he joined the Canadian national team for the CONCACAF Gold Cup, but didn't dress for any of the team's five games.

And he was patient last night as he waited for an opportunity to score the game's only goal, which came in extra time as the Impact beat the Puerto Rico Islanders 1-0 in United Soccer Leagues First Division action last night at Claude Robillard Stadium.

"Soccer is a game where you have to wait for your chances," Ribeiro said.

"You have to make every minute count, even when you get some extra ones."

Simon Gatti was making a run up the right side and was thinking about taking a shot when he heard Ribeiro call out.

"I thought I had a chance, but then I saw him alone," said Gatti, who came off the bench in the second half to set up the winner. Ribeiro was to the left of goalkeeper Josh Saunders and said he gambled on the shot.

"I saw there was a defender coming across and I figured my best chance was to go for the far post," said Ribeiro, whose drive along the ground froze Saunders.

Most of the 12,844 spectators were sent scurrying for cover after a torrential rainstorm hit during the second half, but there were enough fans remaining to greet the goal with a loud cheer. Goals have been few and far between for the Impact at home this season and the win snapped a four-game home-losing streak (0-2-2). The Impact had failed to score in its last two home games.

"It was great to get my first goal of the season after not playing a lot in the beginning of the season," Ribeiro said.

While coach Nick De Santis was happy with the victory, he wasn't happy with the second-half letdown.

"I thought we played hard, but we allowed them to control the midfield in the second half and they came up with some good scoring chances," De Santis said. "We can't let teams do that."

The player who gave the Impact the most trouble was defender Lars Lyssand, who was traded from Montreal to Puerto Rico this month. He had a shot that went just wide in the 78th minute and, a few minutes later, he tested Montreal goalkeeper Matt Jordan with a 40-yard free kick that Jordan managed to punch away.

"It was tough in the second half because it was wet, but I had a few good chances," said Lyssand, who sent a third shot over the crossbar. "We knew Montreal has been having trouble at home and we came at them pretty hard."

The victory moved the Impact into third place in the First Division with 23 points, one less than Rochester and two back of defending champion Vancouver. The Impact has three games in hand on Rochester.

The Impact makes its annual pilgrimage to Quebec City tomorrow for a home game against the last-place California Victory (4 p.m., CJAD Radio-800, Radio-Canada).

====

Reference:
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...e-f8122673de67