View Single Post
  IP: 99.247.129.88
Old 06-30-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Islanders 0:1 Impact

PUERTO RICO 0 IMPACT 1

MONTREAL – A goal from midfielder Antonio Ribeiro in stoppage time of the second half led the Montreal Impact (6-2-5) to a 1-0 shut out against the Puerto Rico Islanders (3-4-6), Friday, in front of 12,844 spectators at the Claude-Robillard Sports Complex.

On the play, defender Simon Gatti, who had replaced David Fronimadis in the 84th minute, made a pass to Ribeiro, who took the time to control the ball at the top of the box before taking a low, diagonal shot. His 18-yard shot beat the Islanders goalkeeper Josh Saunders, on his right.

For Ribeiro, it was his first goal of the season, while Gatti’s assist was his first career point with the Impact.

“I think we need to be patient. We try building gradually and to change some of our habits on the field," said Ribeiro. "I think that stretching and rest are also important: we need to be careful about certain things and it pays off. I like playing physical. I consider a physical approach to be as important as a tactical approach. We are ready as a team to play both ways.”

“This victory feels good, we’ve been waiting for it for some time," said Impact head coach Nick De Santis. "It will build the team’s confidence. However we had a hard time, the Islanders put pressure on us in the second half. During the first twenty minutes, we created opportunities, but we then began losing the midfield. The goal was great because the guys continued to believe. Ribeiro deserved to score, he believes in himself and in his potential, and he showed it at the end of the game. Once again, this victory is really good for team morale.”

With the win, the Impact ends a four-game winless streak at home and is now only two points away from first place in the USL First Division standings, behind the Vancouver Whitecaps (25 points).

Captain Mauro Biello, who missed the last seven games after suffering a thigh injury during the home opener against the Seattle Sounders, on May 20, returned to play tonight at the 65th minute, when he was substituted into the game for Alen Marcina.

With 12,844 spectators, the Impact recorded its best crowd of the season so far at home. It was also the ninth best attendance in the club's history during regular season.

====

Reference:
http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/N...ID=726&Focus=0