View Single Post
  #35   IP: 96.8.161.138
Old 09-29-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeths View Post
One could also argue that many of the sport's current weaknesses had their genesis in the NIFL, especially allowing in weak ownership en masse. The idea for indoor football in midsize cities did not originate in the NIFL. I'm confident the indoor game would have survived had the NIFL never lived. It might have even been better off.
All just speculation at this point. I might doubt the survival aspect though. At the time I didn't get the impression that the IFL castaways had an interest in starting their own league, but were only interested in joining a league. Granted had CS not started the NIFL the original AIFL under Dick Suess might have landed those teams, but if he hadn't, the af2 the only others interested. At that time we also had the IPFL still going, but it was still pretty much trying to compete against the AFL and was dying even though they may not have seen it. Other option, the APFL. Possible they would have started up regardless of any other leagues starting or not. But as I said, pure speculation at this point