OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums (//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/index.php)
-   AtL (//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Future of the Atlantic League... (//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/showthread.php?t=15781)

jidyfan 12-01-2010 04:29 PM

Sugar Land

Well, the verdict is in. The new Sugar Land team will be the Skeeters. They announced it today. Here is a link to their website.
http://sugarlandskeeters.com

park city 9 12-02-2010 07:21 AM

awesome logo!

GoCyclones! 12-22-2010 09:54 AM

BallparkDigest.com is reporting that an investor is looking to put a privately financed park in the northern Boston suburbs for indy ball and the Atlantic League would be a better fit than the Can-Am. Interesting proposal. Lowell Spinners aren't far away. Yes, the season is half as long but could the away support them both?

dmbishop 06-18-2011 08:22 PM

Meanwhile, Back On Long Island...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/local/...lans-1.2965982

The LI Ducks and the New York Mets submitted plans to put a team in the proposed ballpark being considered for the redeveloped Nassau Coliseum area. Only one team will be placed in the park, with the decision expected to be made in the next few weeks.

Of course, that's all dependent on us Nassau County voters approving the $400,000,000.00 bond that the County wants to float to cover the project.

Dave

Duckfan 06-19-2011 12:15 AM

An affiliated team, especially if it's Double A or better, could spell the beginning of the end for the Ducks and possibly the entire League. After a decade of overfilling their park, the Ducks slipped slightly in 2010 and so far in 2011, the Duck's attendance has taken a substantial dip. Season ticket and 10 pack subscriptions, the backbone of their attendance figures, have dropped dramatically this year.
An affiliated team 25 miles away will erode that even further. Many of the Duck's fans come from the area surrounding the proposed new ballpark. Let's face it, fans are not going to travel 25 miles east to see Independent Baseball when they have an affiliated team in their own backyard.
Since their inception the Ducks fans have been used to subsidize the weaker teams in the League in an attempt to keep them afloat. It started with the AC Surf, then the Nashua Pride, the Newark Bears and now the Bridgeport Bluefish. The Ducks principal owner has never given his full attention to the Ducks. If the attendance average drops to 3000 or so, the days of subsidizing other teams are over. The Fish are just going to have to go belly up.
The people in Texas and other places who are considering buying franchises in the Atlantic League have been sold on the idea that Long Island has a long history of selling more tickets than they have seats. When they see half of those seats are now empty and that some of the current teams are going bankrupt, they're going to have to seriously reconsider the proposition.
Fan loyalty on Long Island is going to be a serious problem. The Ducks management has never bothered to build a winning tradition. Theirs is a tradition of losing. They never get the job done. Second place is just not good enough any more, especially after 10 years.
There's a reason why the Yankees draw over 3 million every year and why every kid in the world has a Yankee cap. Heck, if you watch the News, you'll see people in Afghanistan wearing Yankee hats. You will not see them wearing Mets' hats or Kansas City Royals hats. The reason for that is people like winners. The Patriots have kicked the Ducks' butts for over a decade now. Even the defunct Newark Bears have more Championships than the Ducks. Boulton doesn't seem to care. It's going to cost him and it's going to cost the League.

GoCyclones! 06-19-2011 10:01 PM

Thanks, Dave, for the link. Not being a subscriber I was only able to read half of the article. So are these proposals independent of the Islanders' plans? I'm a fan of the Atlantic League but I think I'm rooting for the Mets on this one.

Duckfan, that's a lot of whining for a team that has the best record in the league. I think it will affect the Ducks but not mean their impending demise. Boulton supporting the Bears actually benefitted the Ducks this season as they had first crack at all the former Bears when the team folded, which I think was a bit odd and makes me question the credibility of the league a bit. The Ducks have made several postseason appearances the past few seasons. Unfortunately Boulton can't pitch or hit so he may be to blame there, but otherwise your allegations are a little misguided. I don't totally disagree with you in the sense that I think the Ducks' main concern is selling tickets, whereas I feel the Patriots do a great job at selling an experience.

The Yanks win because they spend the most. That cannot be done in the Atlantic League because of salary restrictions.

dmbishop 06-20-2011 07:39 PM

Here's a link to the article on Newsday's mobile site that's not behind their paywall.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.2965982

The vote on the proposal is August 1st. One plan, all or nothing.

Dave

dmbishop 06-21-2011 11:37 AM

More Long Island Politics

Well, now it looks like Nassau County has made a backroom deal to give Wong control of the entire Coliseum area.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.2971870

Dave

BlastFan 06-21-2011 12:05 PM

And the Somerset Patriots who [had] a worse record than even the Road Warriors were still drawing high numbers so far this year. Records aren't everything.

I do, however, see the Sugarland team owned by ODP going affiliated before they start with the ATL. There's just no way they are going to find a set of teams to play.

GoCyclones! 06-21-2011 05:30 PM

Thanks again, Dave, for the update.

They cannot go affiliated as the Astros own the territory. The Astros were first contacted about a partnership with the Sugar Land team, and for reasons that I just can't comprehend, declined involvement. So the Astros have to approve any affiliated team entering their territory, but already stated they weren't interested in taking part in the Sugar Land project.

It's entirely possible that there is something in the works that just isn't being made public. I certainly hope so, as I doubt they would get into this without other possibilities existing. LSU has a shiny new ballpark in Baton Rouge that could be shared. If Amarillo or Shreveport or any franchise in the shady NAL is part of the equation, I could see why that wouldn't be discussed until after the season.

Supposedly there's a group looking to bring pro baseball back to Atlantic City. The City has pumped money toward necessary repairs after neglect and vandalism left the Sandcastle in bad shape. I'd love for this to happen and I could see maybe this working out for a short-season NY-Penn League team, but I won't hold my breath. I'd also rather see a team placed in the former home of the NJ Cardinals/Sussex Skyhawks, at least temporarily, than another year of the Road Warriors. Nice park sitting empty. Although in the middle of nowhere, New Jersey. Why not gauge local interest by playing a series or two there?

Wow, could this be the first year the Ducks finish second in attendance? Let's see how it goes once school lets out. I don't know how I missed that Pedro Feliz of the 2008 champion Phillies in playing in Camden. I gotta check that out! Eddy Ramos was the most clutch late-inning reliever in the Puerto Rican League Playoffs. I could see him helping out a contending team in the second half.