OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums (//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/index.php)
-   AtL (//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Future of the Atlantic League... (//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/showthread.php?t=15781)

GoCyclones! 10-14-2010 11:58 PM

I ran into a former high-ranking member of the Bears front office who told me that they were BLEEDING cash. They lost something like $3 million in 2009. I really do wish them well in the Can-Am and it beats the alternative of the park sitting empty. How can they turn that around though? Like SurfFan said, the Can-Am is where Atlantic League teams go to die...

GoCyclones! 10-19-2010 12:33 PM

I read an article that I found interesting (I can't seem to post the link from my phone though) about Amarillo, TX laying the groundwork for a new downtown stadium. With the ULB already evicted, I wonder if Potter County Stadium will be a temporary home in the Southwest Division for 2012. Although it's ten hours from Sugar Land (yikes!) Waco is along the way which has long been rumored as a location for a team, and it is midway between OK City and Albuquerque, potentially setting up expansion in other states. Although there don't appear to be any major markets open enroute to OKC.

I also read that the American Association, specifically the owner of the Shreveport Captains, is really looking into this location, which by most accounts seems to draw very well in an old facility. What would they do in a new one?

park city 9 10-19-2010 04:13 PM

i think expansion sounds great, but...

How does the Atlantic League expect the ball clubs to pay for transportation from the east coast to Texas and beyond? Bridgeport to So. Maryland is roughly a 6 1/2 hour ride by bus. In order to get teams to the middle of the country the teams will have to pay for air fare. Will there be a two divisional system where playing each other will only occur in the playoffs? Will the two divisions only play each other at certain times of the season? I am confused at the method of scheduling the Atlantic League will imply once the Western/Southern division is created.

GoCyclones! 10-19-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by park city 9 (Post 144387)
How does the Atlantic League expect the ball clubs to pay for transportation from the east coast to Texas and beyond? Bridgeport to So. Maryland is roughly a 6 1/2 hour ride by bus. In order to get teams to the middle of the country the teams will have to pay for air fare. Will there be a two divisional system where playing each other will only occur in the playoffs? Will the two divisions only play each other at certain times of the season? I am confused at the method of scheduling the Atlantic League will imply once the Western/Southern division is created.

It's been discussed here already but the plan I believe is each team in the eastern division will make two trips out west a season. The schedule will increase to 144 games, with the extra four games going toward travel expenses.

jidyfan 10-20-2010 12:07 PM

Herr out, Hobson in for Barnstormers

Butch Hobson was named the new manager of the Lancaster Barnstormers yesterday. He will be replacing Tommy Herr whose contract was bought out.

http://www.fox43.com/news/wpmt-barns...,4923661.story

toad455 11-08-2010 11:52 PM

So basically for 2012, the league should look something like this(I would like them to go back to alligning the divisions by locations):

NORTH
Bridgeport
Long Island
Somerset
Camden

CENTRAL
Lancaster
York
Southern Maryland
Loudoun

MIDWEST
Sugar Land
Waco, TX?
Biloxi, MS?
Shreveport, LA??

of course the "Midwest divison" is clearly speculation and will only occur if the league gets the right amount of teams in that area.

GoCyclones! 11-10-2010 11:10 PM

Sugar land seems to be going full steam ahead, so I wouldn't call that speculation but everything after that seems to be guesswork. An Atlantic League buddy of mine recently mentioned to me that he heard something about Shreveport getting involved. I didn't give it much thought as they have an AA team there already, but I found it interesting that the owner of the Shreveport Captains was awarded control of a lease to place a team in Amarillo, TX, and may end up moving the Captains there. They averaged 1,500 in a facility built in 1986.

I was happy to hear that the Queen of Diamonds will now be providing coverage for all Atlantic League teams (LisaWinston.com). I'm constantly amazed at how little coverage the Long Island Ducks get. Interesting piece on 2009 MVP Ray Navarrete and his clothing line.

jidyfan 11-16-2010 12:55 PM

Talks on again for second Long Island team

Here is an article from Newsday in regards to getting an Atlantic League team in Nassau County, NY for 2012.
----------------------------------------------------
Nassau takes steps to lure minor league baseball team

Originally published: November 15, 2010 7:05 PM
Updated: November 15, 2010 10:34 PM

By WILLIAM MURPHY william.murphy@newsday.com

Nassau County hopes to break ground by the spring of 2012 at the latest on a new minor league stadium, with construction funding guaranteed by the county but payments to be made by the team, county officials said Monday.

County Executive Edward Mangano said he was in talks with the Atlantic League, a private entity with seven teams, including the Long Island Ducks in Central Islip. He said he hoped a Nassau team would be a new one that would play its first game here.

"It is our intention to launch a public-private partnership and have a team in the Mitchel Field area. It would create jobs and low-cost entertainment. It's very real and we're going to be launching an effort to build the minor league stadium in the 2011-2012 time frame," he said in an interview.

He said he hopes to issue a formal request by January to have private firms submit bids on the design of a new stadium.

Mangano commented on the plan after the stadium bonding popped up during Nassau County Legislature committee meetings that were considering the county's $166 million capital budget for next year. That budget was passed through committees with little comment and was scheduled for a public hearing by the full legislature on Dec. 6.

Democratic Legis. David Denenberg of Merrick, the lead negotiator for the Democratic minority, said none of his Democratic colleagues had been briefed on the stadium plan. Republicans hold an 11-8 edge in the legislature but need Democratic support to get the 13 votes needed to approve bonding.

"I'd like to hear more about it before I decide," Denenberg said after the meeting. "It might be great, but it's news to me and I want to know that we have a commitment to get a team here, and that the proposal will work, before I will commit taxpayer financing."

Frank Boulton, chief executive and principal owner of the Long Island Ducks, said he believed the proposal might come to fruition.

"It's been percolating for years, and now it seems to have some support from the county executive and his staff, and we're excited," Boulton said. "It would be great to have a new team that would compete in the Atlantic League and it would be a great rivalry."

jidyfan 11-17-2010 11:56 AM

Baez named Ducks manager for 2011

This is from the Ducks web site:

(Central Islip, N.Y., November 17, 2010) – The Long Island Ducks today announced that former New York Met and Ducks’ infielder/coach Kevin Baez has been named the fifth manager in the history of the franchise.

“I’m thrilled to have this opportunity,” said Baez. “The fans of Long Island can look forward to seeing a strong ballclub on the field next year.”

2011 will be Baez’ seventh season with the Ducks, the previous six years having been spent as a coach. The former Ducks and big league infielder became a full-time coach with Long Island on May 20, 2005, and also spent the entire 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons with the club.

“As we head into our 12th season, we are excited to have Kevin lead our team,” says Ducks CEO/owner Frank Boulton. “He brings a wealth of experience as a player and a coach, and I am certain he will enjoy great success at the helm.”

The Long Island resident will begin work immediately with the front office to build out the 2011 Ducks’ coaching staff.

“Kevin has earned his shot,” said GM Michael Pfaff. “He’s been a part of our family for a long time and we’re confident he can lead us to a championship.”

Baez was a vital member of the Ducks’ 2004 championship team, batting .256 with 36 runs scored and 40 RBI in 98 games played. He took home MVP honors at the Atlantic League All-Star Game that year with a 2-for-4, two RBI performance in the North’s 10-8 victory over the South at Campbell’s Field in Camden. In the 2004 playoffs, Baez hit .263 en route to his first professional baseball championship. The Brooklyn native was named to three Atlantic League All-Star teams during his playing career.

“Kevin’s always been a hard worker,” added Senior VP of Baseball Operations Bud Harrelson. “He’s been a great player and coach and I think he’ll be a great manager as well”

The 43-year-old is a veteran of 63 Major League and 1,750 minor league contests. He made three stops in the big leagues with the Mets (1990, 1991, 1993), and made his MLB debut on September 3, 1990 under then-Mets manager Bud Harrelson. He registered career highs in hits (113) and doubles (27) in 2000 with the Norfolk Tides (AAA, Mets).

GoCyclones! 11-18-2010 11:47 PM

Thanks for the update, Jids. I knew Nassau was part of the Lighthouse Project plan but didn't know there were plans independent of the Lighthouse Project. This should be a good draw (provided it's not in the middle of Hempstead!) and should be a fun rivalry with the Ducks.

Glad to see Baez, a Brooklyn guy, get the gig. Good luck, KB!

I can't help but feel the Atlantic League made a mistake not trying to get into Amarillo. Now there's talk of plans of a new downtown stadium in Amarillo. I've been optimistic about this western expansion but some clouds of doubt have set in.