Zephyrs acquire outfielder Chad Hermansen
The New Orleans Zephyrs, the Triple A affiliate of the New York Mets have acquired outfielder Chad Hermansen from the Florida Marlins organization for future considerations. He will join the first place club for the pennant stretch.
Chad Hermansen has played parts of six seasons in the Major Leagues and has played in 189 Major League games. Has appeared in three season with Pittsburgh, and has spent time with the Chicago Cubs, Toronto and the LA Dodgers. The 29 year old has 13 Major League home runs.
He was originally a first round pick, tenth overall of the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1995. After signing Hermansen he immediately emerged as a top prospect. He was a South Atlantic League All Star in 1997, and after moving to the outfield the next year, a Pacific Coast League All Star and the Pirates' Minor League Player of the Year in 1999. He earned a promotion to the major leagues at the end of that season, and made his debut against the San Diego Padres on September 7, 1999.
Hermansen was viewed as the Pirates' center fielder of the future, but he struggled to establish himself and lost his starting job early in 2000. He spent parts of the next three seasons bouncing back and forth between the Pirates and AAA, and then was traded to the Chicago Cubs for Darren Lewis on July 31, 2002. Hermansen spent the remainder of the season with the Cubs, and then was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers on December 4. The Cubs received Eric Karros and Mark Grudzielanek, while the Dodgers also received Todd Hundley. Hermansen played in eleven games for the Dodgers in 2003, and appeared in four more with the Toronto Blue Jays the following year.
In 2006, Hermansen played for the Sioux Falls Canaries of the newly formed American Association.
In the 2007 season, Hermansen is playing for the Albuquerque Isotopes, the AAA affiliate of the Florida Marlins, He was batting .283 with 46 runs scored 15 doubles, 9 HR and 44 RBI in 89 games.
Joins the Z's today in Fresno. New Orleans returns home on Friday to host the Round Rock Express in the first game of a four game series.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 8, 2007
- Grizzlies Say Bayou' To New Orleans With Sweep - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall Just Short 3-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Z's get swept in Fresno - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Patton remains perfect at home - Round Rock Express
- Sidewinders Return Home To Host Division Rival - Tucson Sidewinders
- Laforest sets PCL grand slam record, Beavers club five homers in victory - Portland Beavers
- Sounds Wrap Road Trip With 3-2 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Royals Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sidewinders Take Series In Omaha - Tucson Sidewinders
- 51s Return Home To Face First Place Sacramento From August 10-13 - Las Vegas 51s
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Zephyrs acquire outfielder Chad Hermansen - New Orleans Zephyrs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.