Wranglers Claw 4-3 Shootout Win from Grizzlies
West Valley City, Utah - Down two goals after the first period, the Las Vegas Wranglers battled back for a 4-3 shootout win over the Utah Grizzlies tonight in the first game between the two teams this season.
Only 81 seconds into the first, Grizzlies forward Kory Falite put his team on the board for an early 1-0 lead. Las Vegas was quick to respond with a goal from center Chris Francis less than four minutes later, but Utah goals from defenseman Jimmy Martin and center Mitch Wahl put the Grizzlies up 3-1 at the end of the first.
A scoreless second period saw Utah continue their shot advantage over Las Vegas 23-13, but a power play goal from Wranglers forward Andrew Sarauer four minutes into the third cut the Grizzlies' lead in half. With 3:34 remaining in regulation, Wranglers defenseman Nolan Julseth-White tied the game 3-3 and forced the contest into overtime, securing a point for Las Vegas.
Neither team was able to net the game-winning goal in the extra five minutes, and after killing a 4-on-3 Grizzlies power play in the final two minutes, the match went to a shootout. On goals from Sarauer, Francis and left wing Matt Carter, the Wranglers skated with the extra point in the 4-3 win over Utah. Newly acquired Wranglers goaltender Mark Owuya has now gone 3-0-0 in his first three starts with the team, stopping 26 of 29 shots tonight.
The Wranglers continue four games on the road against the Idaho Steelheads tomorrow night. The team returns home to Orleans Arena on Sunday, Dec. 30, to play the Steelheads with a post-game skate with Wranglers players and free The Duke mascot dolls to the first kids age 12 and under at the game. Tonight's full box score can be found here.
Celebrating 10 seasons of Wranglers hockey this year, group events are available at all home games, including pre-game ice skating parties, private luxury suites, and rink-side catered party boxes. Groups of ten or more can sit together starting at $13 per ticket, and feature perks such as in-game group recognition and "buy one, get one free" Chuck-A-Puck vouchers. Take advantage of the best deals by calling the Wranglers front office at (702) 471-PUCK . The Wranglers play all 36 regular season home games at Orleans Arena, located next to the Orleans Hotel and Casino at 4500 W. Tropicana Ave.
ECHL Stories from December 21, 2012
- Titans Continue to Roll; Drop Evansville, 6-3, to Sweep Season Series - Trenton Titans
- Grizzlies Head to Holiday Break After Taking Point Versus Las Vegas - Utah Grizzlies
- Wranglers Claw 4-3 Shootout Win from Grizzlies - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Eagles Edge Condors for Second Game in a Row - Colorado Eagles
- Tying Goal Waived Off, Condors Fall 2-1 in Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Nailers Win Fifth Straight 5-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Roy Scores Twice as 'Blades Defeat Orlando 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Prevail in Wild Affair, 6-5 over Stingrays - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Third Period Sinks Solar Bears in 6-2 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Late Surge Pushes Komets Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Slip by Stingrays in High-Scoring Affair - South Carolina Stingrays
- Greenville Finishes Strong against Walleye in Victory - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Fall 4-2 in Reading - Atlanta Gladiators
- SF Bulls Host "It's End of the World as We Know It" Game Tonight - San Francisco Bulls
- Jackals Downed by Nailers - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - December 21 - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Fort Wayne Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Defenseman Brett Flemming Returned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. South Carolina - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Florida Everblades Tonight - December 21 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Acquire Defenseman Tim Priamo - Fort Wayne Komets
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Evansville - December 21 - Trenton Titans
- Debut Episode of ECHL Week Now Available - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Open Road Trip Tonight vs. Cincinnati - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - December 21 - ECHL