Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Orlando Solar Bears (16-17-4-1) could not complete a comeback after giving up three first-period goals as they saw their three-game win streak come to an end in a 4-2 loss to the Greenville Swamp Rabbits (18-16-2-1) on Friday night at Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
Orlando's loss, in addition to Atlanta's 3-1 defeat at South Carolina, means the Solar Bears remain tied in points (37) with Atlanta for fourth in the South Division; Orlando is seeded fifth as a result of tiebreaking procedures.
SCORING SUMMARY: Orlando: Joe Perry (Martins Dzierkals), Sam Jardine (Todd Skirving, Kyle Rankin). Goaltender: Cal Heeter (30/33). Greenville: Jack Nevins (Chad Duchesne, Derek Sutliffe), Branden Troock (Matt Prapavessis, Shane Walsh), Joe Houk [PP] (Caleb Herbert, Austin McKay), Joe Basaraba [EN]. Goaltender: Ty Rimmer (32/34).
ON THE SCORESHEET: Joe Perry netted his fifth of the season to get Orlando on the board exactly two minutes into the second period after Martins Dzierkals stole the puck from a Greenville defender in the right wing corner following a face-off in the offensive zone. Martins Dzierkals extended his point streak to four games (2g-4a) as a result of his assist on Perry's goal. Sam Jardine tallied his first goal of the season at 19:57 of the third period. Todd Skirving earned the primary assist on Jardine's goal. Kyle Rankin returned to the lineup for Orlando after missing the previous three games and was credited with an assist on Jardine's goal. Cal Heeter took the loss for Orlando, making 30 saves on 33 shots against.
NOTABLES: Perry, Jardine and J.J. Piccinich led the Solar Bears with five shots on goal.
Orlando completes its weekend series of games when they battle the South Carolina Stingrays on Saturday, Jan. 13 at 7:05 p.m. at the North Charleston Coliseum.
THREE STARS: 1) Ty Rimmer - GRN. 2) Matt Prapavessis - GRN. 3) Jack Nevins - GRN.
About the Orlando Solar Bears: The Orlando Solar Bears are in their sixth season of operation in the ECHL, the premier "AA" hockey league in North America, and are the proud affiliate of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and the AHL's Toronto Marlies. The Solar Bears are owned and operated by the Orlando Magic and the DeVos Family, and play at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.