Williams Scores Twice in 4-1 Win over Bulls
Evansville, Ind. - After taking all three meetings so far this season in Birmingham, the season series shifted back to Evansville for the first time this season, as the two teams met for the first of two games in two nights at Ford Center. Despite a close first period, the Thunderbolts would pull away in the second period and not look back, winning 4-1.
Dave Williams would open the scoring at 4:29 after a feed from the corner got to the front of the net by John Scorcia, making it 1-0 with another assist going to Brendan Mitchell. The Bulls would come back to tie after an Evansville turnover at the blueline led to a shot getting through Tomas Sholl, scored by Graham Yeo to make it 1-1 at the 15:20 mark. The second period would see Evansville regain the lead, as Sean Reynolds would snipe home a pass from behind the net by Nick D'Avolio to make it 2-1 at the 2:45 mark, also assisted by Mike Fazio. Dylan Clarke would extend the lead to 3-1 after finding a loose puck in the Birmingham slot, sniping it past Mavric Parks at the 12:01 mark. The third period would be mostly scoreless, as Birmingham failed to get a single shot on a late powerplay, before Williams would steal the puck in the neutral zone and score on the ensuing breakaway, sealing the score, 4-1.
Williams would lead the way with two goals, Reynolds would finish with a goal and assist and Clarke would add a goal as well. Tomas Sholl finished off with 22 saves on 23 shots for his 12th win of the season.
These two teams meet again for Star Wars Night tomorrow, face-off at 7:15 p.m. CST, and the special jerseys for tomorrow's game will be auctioned off following the contest's conclusion.
About Evansville Thunderbolts: The Evansville Thunderbolts is the area's only professional hockey team. The Thunderbolts are a proud member of the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL). The team is owned and operated by VW Sports, L.L.C, a subsidiary of VenuWorks, Inc.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- Nieuwendyk Is Strong in the Force, Lifts ThunderBolts Over. - Evansville Thunderbolts
- RiverKings Fall to Fayetteville 5-4 in Shootout - Mississippi RiverKings
- GAME RECAP: Don't Call it a Comeback; Mayhem Rally from Three-Goal Deficit to Top Pensacola. - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs Fall in Knoxville, 10-0 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Fiorentino, Hill Lead Marksmen to Shootout Victory - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs (10-16-3) at Ice Bears - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Marksmen Earn Point in Six-Round Shootout Defeat - Fayetteville Marksmen
- RiverKings Take Down Ice Bears 3-2 in Knoxville - Mississippi RiverKings
- Williams Scores Twice in 4-1 Win over Bulls - Evansville Thunderbolts
- GAME RECAP: Roanoke Outlasts Fayetteville in a Shootout - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- GAME RECAP: McCormick Extends SPHL-Best Goal Streak in Loss to Pensacola - Macon Mayhem
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.