Will Voigt and His Staff to Lead 2013 All-Star Team
BAKERSFIELD, January 29, 2013 – Bakersfield Jam Head Coach
Will Voigt and his staff will coach the Prospects Team at the 2013 NBA Development
League All-Star Game, the NBA D-League announced today. The Prospects and Futures
teams are set to take the court at Sprint Arena at NBA All-Star Jam Session at
Houston’s George R. Brown Convention Center at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, Feb.
15. The game, which will feature 20 top NBA D-League prospects, will air live
on NBA TV at 3 p.m. ET.
Voigt will be joined in Houston by, assistants John Bryant and Rod Baker, and head athletic trainer Shaun Mirza.
"I am fortunate to work with great owners, an outstanding staff and tremendous players,” said Voigt. “I am honored to have been selected, but the real credit goes to them."
Bryant said, “Having our staff selected to coach is a testament to our players; they are the ones who put in the work day in and day out.” He added, “Coach Voigt has laid out and presented the blueprint since training camp and our entire Jam staff (Coach Baker and myself included) make it our goal every day to provide our players with the knowledge to put them in the best position to succeed.”
“This is an honor to be a part of NBA D-League All-Star just as it's been an honor to be a part of the Jam organization,” said Baker. “It just points to the hard work and performance of the players. Their skill sets and willingness to ‘buy in’ has led to the team's success.”
Mirza said, "It's simply a testament to our team and staff's preparation and commitment to winning. We set the goal of being the elite team in the league since day one and at the midpoint it's great to see we are where we need to be.” He added, “Personally, it is a great honor to be going to the NBA D-League All-Star Game in Houston and I couldn't be more proud of our guys for all their hard work."
Along with the Jam coaching staff, the Maine Red Claws head coach Mike Taylor and his staff were selected to coach the Futures Team. Voigt was selected to helm the Prospects Team based on having the highest winning percentage with a 17-8 record in the three-division NBA D-League in games played through Jan. 27. Taylor and his staff earned the trip to Houston to coach the Futures Team by virtue of a 17-10 record and winning a head-to-head tiebreaker with Alex Jensen and the staff of the Canton Charge, who had the same record through games of Jan. 27, for the League’s second-best winning percentage. Taylor and Voigt are each making their first NBA D-League All-Star appearance.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 29, 2013
- Toros Sign Ryan Ayers - Austin Spurs
- Will Voigt and His Staff to Lead 2013 All-Star Team - Bakersfield Jam
- NBA Development League All-Star Game Returns to NBA All-Star Festivities - G League
- Mike Taylor to Coach All-Star Squad - Maine Red Claws
- Celtics Recall Melo from Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- "Hoops for Hope" to Benefit Center for Grieving Children - Maine Red Claws
- Nominees Sought for Maine High School Basketball Team of the Year - Maine Red Claws
- Skyforce Set to Host Military Night - Sioux Falls Skyforce