Wide receiver duo sign with Eskimos
(Edmonton) The Edmonton Eskimos announced today the signings of import wide receivers Patrick Johnson and Kendrick Starling.
A two-sport athlete at the University of Oregon, Johnson competed in both football and track. The deep-threat receiver started 20 games over four years for the Ducks, finishing among the top receivers in school record books with 3,844 all-purpose yards. He finished his college career ranked eighth on the school's all-time receiving list with 110 catches and 1,919 yards. After his senior season in 1997, he earned second-team All-Pac 10 honours as both a receiver and return specialist. An Olympic-caliber sprinter, Johnson was one of the top sprinters in the nation, winning the Pac-10 Championships in the 400 m as a freshman. Johnson was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the 2nd round (42nd overall) in the 1999 NFL Draft. Johnson has played for Baltimore, Jacksonville, Washington and Cincinnati. He earned a Super Bowl ring with the Ravens in 2001.
Starling was the only rookie free agent to crack the Houston Texans roster in 2004. He played in eight games his rookie year, primarily on special teams. He spent the 2005 season on the practice rosters of the Seattle Seahawks and New Orleans Saints. He then re-signed with the Texans in January 2006 and was allocated to NFL Europe where he was selected in the 4th round by the Rhein Fire. Starling began his college career at Navarro (TX) Junior College (1999-2000) where he was a two-time All-American and All-Southwest Junior College Football Conference first-team selection and set school and conference career records for most receiving yards and touchdown catches. He then transferred to San Jose State where he had 77 receptions for 899 yards and five touchdowns over 23 games. He also added 856 yards on 36 kickoff returns and 48 yards on 10 carries, including one touchdown.
Born: August 10, 1976 - Gainesville, GA
Height: 5-11; Weight: 191
Yrs Esks: 1st
Yrs CFL: 1st
San Jose State
Born: December 27, 1979 - Marshall, TX
Height: 6-0; Weight: 210
Yrs Esks: 1st
Yrs CFL: 1st
Canadian Football League Stories from May 24, 2007
- Riders add three Canadians to roster - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Three More Added To Stampeder Roster - Calgary Stampeders
- Linebacker Walter Spencer released - Calgary Stampeders
- Bombers haul in receiver Edwards - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Upper Level Grey Cup Seats Sold Out - Toronto Argonauts
- Lions' owner David Braley donates $5 million to St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton - B.C. Lions
- Bombers renew partnership with Labatt - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Wide receiver duo sign with Eskimos - Edmonton Eskimos
- Ticats Announce Partnership With Dave Whitlock and Whitlock Motorsports - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Draft a Lion sold out for 2007 - B.C. Lions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.