Whitfield, Laing Named Playing Captains for 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic
December 21, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews announced today that Trent Whitfield of the Providence Bruins and Quintin Laing of the Abbotsford Heat have been selected to serve as playing captains for the 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic, to be held January 27-28 in Providence, R.I.
Captains for the American Hockey League All-Star teams are selected by the league president in recognition of their outstanding service and leadership to the AHL.
Trent Whitfield has spent part of each of his 15 professional seasons in the American Hockey League, including the last four with Providence. The 35-year-old native of Alameda, Sask., has played 769 career AHL games and is a four-time 20-goal scorer, totaling 240 goals and 343 assists for 583 points with Portland (1998-2005), Peoria (2005-09) and Providence (2009- ). Originally drafted by Boston in 1996, Whitfield has also skated in 194 career NHL games with the Bruins, St. Louis, the New York Rangers and Washington.
Whitfield, who made his only previous AHL All-Star Classic appearance in 2003, will captain the Eastern Conference AHL All-Stars.
Now in his 13th professional season, Quintin Laing has appeared in 650 career AHL contests with Norfolk, Hershey and Abbotsford, registering 95 goals and 167 assists for 262 points and winning a Calder Cup with the Bears in 2009. Drafted by Detroit in 1997, Laing is one of the AHL's top defensive forwards and has worn the captain's "C" in each of his three AHL stops - including the last two seasons with the Heat.
Laing, a 33-year-old native of Harris, Sask., has played 79 NHL games with Chicago and Washington, and will be making his AHL All-Star Classic debut as captain of the Western Conference All-Star team.
Tickets for the 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic are on sale now by calling the Providence Bruins at (401) 273-5000 or visiting www.providencebruins.com. All-Star 2-Packs are $55 and $75 and include admission to both the 2013 AHL All-Star Skills Competition at 7 p.m. on Sunday, January 27, and the 2013 AHL All-Star Game at 7 p.m. on Monday, January 28. All-Star 4-Packs are $75 and $100 and include admission to the Skills Competition and the All-Star Game, as well as the Post-Skills Party (January 27, 9:30 p.m.) at the Rhode Island Convention Center and the 2013 AHL Hall of Fame Induction & Awards Ceremony (January 28, 11 a.m.) at the Veterans Memorial Auditorium.
The 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic in Providence will feature the top young talent in the American Hockey League. Of the 597 players to take part in the AHL All-Star Classic since the event was reinstated in 1995, more than 92 percent have competed in the National Hockey League, including Patrice Bergeron, Daniel Briere, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Mike Cammalleri, Zdeno Chara, Miikka Kiprusoff, Ryan Miller, Zach Parise, Tuukka Rask, Pekka Rinne, Bobby Ryan, Martin St. Louis, Cory Schneider, Jason Spezza and Eric Staal.
American Hockey League Stories from December 21, 2012
- Heat Lose 5-1 in Grand Rapids - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Take Down Rockford 2-1 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Burned by Heeter - Adirondack Phantoms
- Mrazek and Griffins Cool off Heat - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Harpooned at Home - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Top B-Sens in High Scoring Affair - Rochester Americans
- Special Teams and Goaltending Key in Admirals Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- IceCaps Freeze Bulldogs 2-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Dekanich solid as IceCaps edge Bulldogs - St. John's IceCaps
- Nilstorp, Stars Blank Barons 3-0 - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Fall to Amerks in Shootout, 6-5 - Binghamton Senators
- Marlies Defeat Rampage 4-1 on Record Night for Ryan Hamilton - Toronto Marlies
- Matsumoto Plays Role of Grinch in Providence with Late Game-Winner - Worcester Sharks
- Win Streak Snapped in Loss to Checkers - Peoria Rivermen
- P-Bruins Fall to Sharks - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Extend Point Streak - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Late Goal Not Enough - Albany Devils
- Rampage Outshoot Marlies, But Drop 4-1 Decision at Toronto - San Antonio Rampage
- Whale Make Most of Shots in 5-2 Victory - Connecticut Whale
- Sound Tigers Provide Tickets to Newtown Residents Free of Charge this Week - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- TSN Radio 690 and SiriusXM to Continue Coverage of Hamilton Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Whitfield, Laing Named Playing Captains for 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- SiriusXM NHL Network to Air Another Texas Stars Broadcast - Texas Stars
- SiriusXM NHL Network Radio Adds More AHL Games to Broadcast Schedule - AHL
- Hamilton Bulldogs Sign Cody Wild to PTO - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Second Straight Night of Last-Minute Winning for Monsters - Lake Erie Monsters
- Classic Comeback Ends with Shootout Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- McKenna Stops 50 in Shootout Win - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.