White Sox Promote Aaron Poreda to Chicago
HOOVER, AL -The White announced Tuesday that they have purchased the contract of Barons left-handed pitcher Aaron Poreda. Poreda will join the White Sox for their game against Detroit.
The top pitching prospect in the White Sox organization, Poreda tossed a five-inning no-hitter against the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx on May 4. He was awarded with the Southern League Pitcher of the Week honor for the week of May 4-10.
Poreda was 5-4 with a 2.38 ERA in 11 starts with the Barons in 2009. His 69 strikeouts paced the Southern League, and he was ranked third in ERA.
He becomes the 41st former Barons player to skip Triple-A and head straight to Chicago, joining the likes of Frank Thomas, Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura, Alex Fernandez, Mark Buehrle, Joe Crede and Bobby Jenks.
He also becomes the second player this season to start the season in Birmingham and play for the White Sox, joining former Barons shortstop Gordon Beckham in Chicago. Jayson Nix also started his season in Birmingham before eventually moving to the big league club.
Holders of the Southern League's best record, the Barons started the season with six of the top-10 prospects and added a seventh when Danks joined the team in May.
Charlie Shirek will take Poreda's roster spot in Birmingham. Shirek was 8-1 with a 3.88 ERA in 11 starts with Class-A Winston-Salem. The former 23rd -round draft pick was recently selected to represent the Winston-Salem Dash in the South Atlantic League All-Star Game. An alum of the University of Nebraska, he was named the White Sox best late-round draft pick in 2007 by Baseball America.
The Barons will host the Montgomery Biscuits at 7:05 PM tonight. The team's magic number to clinch its second-straight South Division title is at seven.
Southern League Stories from June 9, 2009
- Smokies Finish Off Lookouts for Series Sweep - Tennessee Smokies
- Mudcats Clinch Series in Extra Innings - Jacksonville Suns
- Heisey's Solo Homer Lifts the Mudcats to Win - Carolina Mudcats
- Baker Salvages Finale for Biscuits, 6-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Bullpen, Timely Hitting Help Huntsville Down Diamond Jaxx - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears Fall Short in Finale to M-Braves - Mobile BayBears
- White Sox Promote Aaron Poreda to Chicago - Birmingham Barons
- Stars take five out of six from Jaxx with win Tuesday - Jackson Generals
- Dale Murphy Night - Mississippi Braves
- Turn Back the Clock Night - Mississippi Braves
- Mississippi Braves Homestand Highlights - Mississippi Braves
- Hughes Heads to Durham - Montgomery Biscuits
- Barons Inch Closer to Division Title - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.