Whale win in shootout
Albany, NY - Cam Talbot tied his pro career high with 43 saves, and went five-for-five in the shootout, Friday night at the Times Union Center, as the Connecticut Whale defeated the Albany Devils by a score of 2-1.
The Whale won their fourth straight game, despite being outshot 44-16 on the night. Christian Thomas scored for Connecticut, and Matt Gilroy got the only goal of the shootout. Mattias Tedenby tallied the lone Devil goal.
It was the second win in Albany in ten days for the Whale, who earned their first win of the season last Wednesday over the Devils, 5-2.
After a rebound shot by Albany's Adam Henrique on the game's first shift hit the crossbar behind Talbot, the Devils came back and did take the game's first lead at 4:30. David Wohlberg won a neutral-ice faceoff and Tedenby headed quickly up the right side of the slot, fending off Sam Klassen's check and putting a backhand shot past Talbot's stick side.
That would be the only puck to get behind the Whale goaltender all night, though, and Connecticut tied the score at the 18:05 mark, when Thomas got his second of the season, just seconds after he had put a shot off the crossbar. After Thomas' first bid missed, Tommy Grant kept the puck in the Devil zone and found a wide-open Thomas with a cross-slot feed for an easy finish.
Talbot was especially sharp in the second period, when Albany outshot the Whale 18-2, and Connecticut had to kill four penalties in the third frame. A Devil power play carried over into the overtime, in which Albany got the only three shots credited and hit a crossbar.
The Devils deferred to the Whale to shoot first in the shootout, and Gilroy, Connecticut's leadoff man, put a shot past the glove side of Albany goaltender Jeff Frazee for what would turn out to be the deciding score.
Talbot stopped Tedenby, Wohlberg, Bobby Butler, Henrique and Jacob Josefson, and Frazee would recover to deny the Whale's Chris Kreider, Kris Newbury, Brandon Segal and Chad Kolarik.
The Whale are now 4-3-1-0 on the year, after starting 0-3-1-0 in their first four games.
The Whale's next action is on home ice at the XL Center this Sunday, November 4 against their I-91 rivals the Springfield Falcons. Faceoff is 7:00 PM, and, as at all Sunday home games this season, fans can take advantage of "Click It or Ticket Sunday Family Value Packs". A package consisting of a ticket, a hot dog or slice of pizza and a soda is only $18. Tickets for that game, and all Whale regular season home games at the XL Center, are on sale now at the Public Power Ticket Office at the XL Center, through TicketMaster Charge-by-Phone at 1-800-745-3000 and on-line at www.ticketmaster.com.
American Hockey League Stories from November 2, 2012
- Rampage Earn Third Straight Home Win with 3-2 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Stumble in 6-3 Loss to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Late Goal Boosts Rampage Past Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Stymied by Pickard, Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pickard Backstops Monsters to Third Straight Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolves Enjoy 6-3 Romp at Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Syracuse Evens Rivalry Series - Adirondack Phantoms
- Amerks Hold off Bulldogs for 3-2 Shootout Win - Rochester Americans
- Bears Edge Falcons in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Fall to Frienemy - Manchester Monarchs
- Etem Scores Twice, But Admirals Fall to Senators - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Shut out IceCaps in Portland Opener, 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Control Action, But Fall In Shootout - Albany Devils
- Bears Top Falcons in Shootout for Third Consecutive Victory - Hershey Bears
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Victory in Norfolk - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Stymied by Pirates - St. John's IceCaps
- P-Bruins Fall to Sharks 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Whale win in shootout - Connecticut Whale
- Amerks Edge Dogs 3-2 In A Shootout - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Best Phantoms 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Best Bruins 3-2 in Chippy Affair at Providence - Worcester Sharks
- Penguins, Zatkoff Shutout Monarchs - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Romney Wins Admirals Straw Poll - Milwaukee Admirals
- Obama Wins 2012 Presidential Bobble Election - Manchester Monarchs
- Saints and Sinners 55th Annual Fall Guy Charity Roast to Honor Amerks Legend Jody Gage - Rochester Americans
- Griffins' Outdoor Game at Comerica Park Cancelled; Game Rescheduled - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Honor Veterans and Active Duty Military Members with Free Admission November 10 - Syracuse Crunch
- Deadline for IceCaps Care Applications Announced - St. John's IceCaps
- Sebastien Piche Assigned to ECHL Greenville - Connecticut Whale
- Hogs and Wolves Clash Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage to Broadcast Five Games on Fox Sports Southwest - San Antonio Rampage
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield vs. Hershey, Game #8 - Springfield Falcons
- UConn Men's Hockey To Face Air Force At XL Center - Connecticut Whale
- Barons Supporting Movember Movement by Growing Mustaches - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Make History in 3-0 Win over Marlies - Abbotsford Heat
- Toronto Falls 3-0 in Abbotsford - Toronto Marlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.