Walden, Lugnuts cruise past Chiefs, 7-3
PEORIA, IL - The Lansing Lugnuts (14-4) offense posted 13 hits behind a one-hit, five-inning shutout thrown by Marcus Walden in a 7-3 win over the Peoria Chiefs (7-11) on Monday evening at Peoria Chiefs Stadium.
Walden (Win, 1-0) retired the first six batters he faced and allowed only an infield hit in the fifth inning while tying a season high by striking out four.
Five different Lugnuts scored and eight of nine Lansing starters reached base in a 13 hit attack.
Kevin Pillar's three hits led five Lugnuts who recorded a multi-hit night. Carlos Perez led Lansing with three runs in a 2-for-4 evening that included an RBI triple.
Chris Hawkins and Kevin Patterson each notched two hits and scored a run.
The Lugnuts scored two runs in the fourth and three runs in the sixth off of Chiefs starter Jose Rosario (Loss, 1-3), who gave up nine hits in just five innings of work.
Javier Avendano dazzled in three innings, allowing only one hit and an unearned run while striking out four.
Lansing tacked on a pair in the ninth before Peoria scored a pair in the bottom of the ninth against Ajay Meyer.
The Lugnuts start top prospect Aaron Sanchez (2-0, 0.00) against Peoria southpaw Kyler Burke (0-1, 1.59) in the rubber match of a three-game series against the Chiefs. Game time is set for 12:00 p.m. ET at Peoria Chiefs Stadium.
The Lansing Lugnuts return home to Cooley Law School Stadium on Wednesday, April 25th, beginning a six-game homestand with a 7:05 p.m. "Ladies Night" against Kane County. Tickets are available for purchase at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from April 23, 2012
- Big inning sends Kernels to 8-3 loss at Dayton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bees Beat Loons 8-4 - Burlington Bees
- Walden, Lugnuts cruise past Chiefs, 7-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Fall 5-3 at Clinton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Pedrotty Earns First Win, Hawks Down Rattlers 8-1 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Offense Boosts Jenkins to First Win for Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Lose to Lansing 7-3 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Rice's Homer All the Offense in Monday's Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Win 8-3; Close out Series Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend scores big win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Golf with the Rattlers; Help The Miracle League of the Fox Valley - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Claim Slugfest Over Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Back and Forth Game Goes Captains Way 11-8 - Lake County Captains
- Loons to Host Wine Tasting Event at Dow Diamond this Friday - Great Lakes Loons
- Siegel's Saturday Night Talent for Tanager Place - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Get to Know the Snappers - First Up, LHP Jason Wheeler - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Announce Youth Camp Dates - Dayton Dragons
- Bees' Granier Wins Player of the Week - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Gameday for April 23 - Dayton Dragons
- Inciarte Named Midwest League Player of the Week - South Bend Silver Hawks
- New Pitcher Joins Cougars Today - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.