Vipers Acquire Witherspoon from Austin
MCALLEN, Texas -- The NBA Development League Rio Grande Valley Vipers today announced that they have acquired Wesley Witherspoon from the Austin Toros. The transaction is part of a three-team deal that also sent the Vipers' 2013 third round draft pick to the Santa Cruz Warriors. The Warriors traded Rick Jackson to the Toros.
Witherspoon is a 6-9, 207 lbs. forward from the University of Memphis. He participated in the Spurs training camp before being sent to San Antonio's single-affiliate Austin Toros. Witherspoon appeared in three games for the Spurs during the preseason and scored 17 points in San Antonio's Oct. 14 win over the Houston Rockets. Witherspoon spent four seasons with the Memphis Tigers (2008-12), where he averaged 8.2 ppg and 3.7 rpg.
Rio Grande Valley fans will be able to watch Witherspoon on the NBA Development League Channel on YouTube this weekend when the Vipers head out on a two-game road trip. Friday, Nov. 30 the Vipers visit the Tulsa 66ers for a 7 p.m. game. Saturday, RGV will visit the Texas Legends. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m.
The Vipers will be back in action on their home court Thursday, Dec. 6 when they host the 66ers in a 7 p.m. game at State Farm Arena. Call the Vipers at 956-972-1144 or visit Ticketmaster.com to purchase your seats.
NBA Development League Stories from November 27, 2012
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Third Round Draft Pick in Three-Team Trade - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Reno Bighorns Announce "Legal All-Star Team" Program - Reno Bighorns
- Toros Land Rick Jackson in Three Team Trade - Austin Spurs
- Vipers Acquire Witherspoon from Austin - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Memphis Grizzlies Assign Tony Wroten to Bighorns - Reno Bighorns
- Memphis Grizzlies Assign Tony Wroten to NBA D-League Affiliate Reno Bighorns - D-League
- Red Claws Announce Opening Night Events, New Presenting Sponsor - Maine Red Claws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.