Villarreal Scores as U.S. U-20 Defeat Costa Rica to Win Group A
Jose Villarreal scored the only goal as the U.S. Under-20's defeated Costa Rica 1-0 to win Group A at the CONCACAF U-20 Championships.
The match was an evenly played affair until the LA Galaxy forward broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute by nodding home a cross from Luis Gil past the Central American goalkeeper. The U.S. had already earned a berth in the quarterfinals, but will now face Canada, who defeated Nicaragua 5-1 on Friday.
The winner of that quarterfinal match up will qualify for the U-20 World Cup in Turkey later this year.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 25, 2013
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- #RapidsJersey Preview - Colorado Flag Theme - Colorado Rapids
- Kickoff Week Continues Tomorrow with Dynamo Autograph Session - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- KCWE to Air Sporting KC's First Two MLS Matches - Sporting Kansas City
- Revs to Hold National Anthem Auditions - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake to Hold National Anthem Auditions on March 11 - Real Salt Lake
- Blake Smith Signs with Impact - Montreal Impact
- Villarreal Scores as U.S. U-20 Defeat Costa Rica to Win Group A - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Add Canadian Goalkeeper Simon Thomas - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- #RapidsJersey Sneak Preview - Today on 9News at 4 O'Clock - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire March to Los Angeles to Open 16th MLS Season - Chicago Fire
- FC Dallas Inks Landmark Television Deal with Time Warner Cable - FC Dallas
- D.C. United U-23 Academy Team Set to Compete in the NPSL in 2013 - D.C. United
- Houston Dynamo Launch Major Social, Digital Media Platform - Houston Dynamo
- MLS and the French Football Federation Announce Partnership - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.