Torrey Mitchell Set to Make SF Bulls Debut Tonight
San Francisco Bulls (12-17-1-3, eighth place, Western Conference) vs.
Colorado Eagles (16-14-1-2, fifth place, Western Conference)
When: Wednesday, January 2 at 7:15 pm
Where: Cow Palace
Promotion: Get a Pair Wednesday
Tonight's Matchup: The San Francisco Bulls (12-17-1-3) charge into the New Year to face the Colorado Eagles (16-14-1-2) tonight at the historic Cow Palace. The Bulls will be looking to end their 2012 struggles against the Eagles in 2013. This marks the fifth meeting of seven between the two teams on the season, with Colorado currently leading the set 4-0.
The 2012 calendar year ended on a high note for the Bulls. San Francisco closed out the year defeating the Las Vegas Wranglers, 4-1, in front of a packed house of 8,231 fans at the Cow Palace last Friday. Goals from Dean Ouellet, Rob Kwiet, Alex Tuckerman and Peter Sivak propelled the Bulls to their 12th win of the season. Thomas Heemskerk posted 23 saves on the night to earn his 11th win of the season.
Good fortune kept coming the Bulls way. On Monday, the Bulls announced the signing of former San Jose Sharks fan favorite Torrey Mitchell to a standard player contract. The 27-year-old right winger is in his sixth season of professional hockey, five of those with San Jose. While with the Sharks, Mitchell produced 73 points (30 goals, 43 assists) in 280 games. Mitchell practiced with the team Monday, and is slated to suit up and skate with the Bulls tonight against the Eagles.
Colorado skates into San Francisco in a bit of a road funk. The Eagles dropped their last three games to the league-leading Alaska Aces over the weekend. Looking to break out of their slump, Colorado will close out their longest road trip of the season with two games against San Francisco, Wednesday and Friday, and one against Stockton on Saturday. The Eagles currently sit in fifth place in the Western Conference, seven points ahead of the Bulls, who currently lie in eighth with 28 points.
The Eagles two point leaders Chad Costello (49 points, 14g, 35a) and Jack Combs (42 points, 19g, 23a) are currently on loan to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL. In their absence, Trent Daavettila and Kevin Ulanski have picked up the slack, posting six goals and five assists collectively. Michael Forney now leads the Eagles active skaters with 35 points (17g, 18a). Forney currently has 4 goals and 3 assists in his previous matchups against the Bulls.
Peter Sivak (11g, 17a) and Dean Ouellet (16g, 12a) pace the Bulls with 28 points apiece. Sivak has a goal and an assist and Ouellet with two assists against the Eagles in previous matchups. San Francisco is without starting netminder Thomas Heemskerk, who has been placed on the 21-day IR list.
It's get a pair Wednesdays at the Cow Palace. Fans can get two for one hot dogs. On Friday, the Bulls take on the Eagles once again for Country Western Night. The first 1,000 fans, 18 and over, receive a Bulls foam cowboy hat, courtesy of the San Francisco Examiner.
ECHL Stories from January 2, 2013
- Glads Open 2013 with 4-2 Loss in Fort Wayne - Atlanta Gladiators
- Torrey Mitchell Set to Make SF Bulls Debut Tonight - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 2 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Agree to Terms with Dan Dries - Orlando Solar Bears
- Forwards Knight and Randell Assigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Condors Raise $13,650 with Varner Jersey, Kids in Free Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Pierro-Zabotel Selected as a Started for ECHL All-Stars - Atlanta Gladiators
- Condors vs. Idaho - Kids in Free Night - Bakersfield Condors
- Stretch Added to 2013 ECHL All-Star Classic Roster - Ontario Reign
- Royals Philipp Grubauer and Denny Urban Selected to Start in 2013 ECHL All-Star Game - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Nathan Deck Named Starter for the ECHL All-Star Game - Stockton Thunder
- Toledo Walleye Sign Trevor Nill - Toledo Walleye
- Starters Announced for 2013 ECHL All-Star Game - ECHL
- Orlando's Gendur Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Dan Gendur Named ECHL Player of the Week - Orlando Solar Bears
- Elmira Jackals Receive Pair from Binghamton - Elmira Jackals
- Kane Lafranchise Called up to Oklahoma City - Alaska Aces
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Nestrasil Named Plus Performer of the Month - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nestrasil Is AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Smith Reassigned to Idaho from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- South Carolina's Zapolski Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Zapolski Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Radio Network to Broadcast on FM 100.3 the FAN - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Today - January 2 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.