Toros return to court with tribute to coach Johnson
AUSTIN, Texas, February 27 - Making their return to the court for the first time since the death of head coach Dennis Johnson, the Austin Toros will take on the Colorado 14ers on Thursday, March 1, at the Austin Convention Center at 7 p.m.
Prior to the beginning of the game, the team will honor Johnson in a special pre-game tribute that will include a moment of silence, special music, a video presentation and comments from Toros players and staff.
"Coach Johnson would want the Toros back on the court as soon as possible," team president Mike Berry said. "We feel it is now appropriate to resume our schedule and I know our players will continue to display the effort and professionalism that Coach demanded each and every day."
Thursday night's game against Colorado is also Celtics affiliate night. Johnson, a Boston Celtics legend, won two championships in the 1980s and had his number subsequently retired. Lucky, the mascot of the Celtics, will be in attendance at Thursday's game. Allan Ray, rookie guard on assignment to the Toros from the Boston Celtics will also make his debut appearance Thursday night.
Beginning on Thursday night, Toros players will wear a special uniform patch for the remainder of the 2006-07 season honoring the memory of Coach Johnson.
For Toros season and group ticket information call the Toros office at (512) 236-8333 or visit austintoros.com. Individual game tickets can be purchased by calling 866-443-8849, at any local RunTex, Waterloo Records (6th & Lamar), the University Co-op or by visiting gettix.net.
NBA Development League Stories from February 27, 2007
- Skyforce's 114-98 win closes gap on Flyers - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Pistons Assign Blalock and Johnson to Skyforce - D-League
- D-Fenders win two at home - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Wizards Honor State Class B Boys Participants - Dakota Wizards
- Toros return to court with tribute to coach Johnson - Austin Spurs
- Tulsa 66ers Celebrate Read Across America - Tulsa 66ers
- NBA Development League Expands to Des Moines - Iowa Energy
- Stampede take Key Bank reading timeouts - Idaho Stampede
- D-League daily developments - D-League
- Arsenal Sweeps Season Series Against RimRockers - Anaheim Arsenal
- 14ers Dump Dakota - Colorado 14ers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.