Titans Win Third Straight OT in Dramatic Fashion
ESTERO, FL - For the third consecutive overtime, the Titans, proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, pulled out a win in the final 30 seconds. This time it was Mike Ullrich who put home the rebound of a Kory Nagy shot with 27.7 left in the extra frame, giving Trenton a thrilling 5-4 win over the defending Kelly Cup Champion Florida Everblades, before 5,281 at Germain Arena last night.
Trenton's record improves to 18-21-3-3 (42 points), while with the point, Florida moves to 22-15-4-4 (53 points).
For the Game Report, click HERE
For the current ECHL Conference Standings, click HERE
This is the fourth win in OT for Trenton, but it didn't come easy...
Stephen Schultz got the Titans on the board first, throwing a power play goal from the endline off starting goalie Pat Nagle (19 saves). That goal - his 14th and 9th on the PP - wouldn't be his last, but did give the Titans a 1-0 lead through one.
Schultz added a wrap-around goal at 4:44 of the second for a 2-0 lead. After Florida cut the lead in half less than minute later, Bryan Haczyk ripped a worm burner past Nagle at 6:51 for a second PPG and a 3-1 lead.
When Schultz capped off his hat trick at 12:28, Nagle's night was over, as he was replaced by Rob Madore (OTL, 6-9-3), who was brilliant stopping 14 in relief.
His Trenton counterpart Scott Wedgewood (W, 14-15-2-1, 37 saves) was no less spectacular while playing in his 12th consecutive game (11 starts) and 14th of the last 15. However two quick short-handed goals on the same Titans PP late in the period made it 4-3 and totally flipped the momentum.
The Everblades capitalized on that swing to start the third, when a Brody Sutter wrister from the top of the right circle beat Wedgewood to tie the score.
After several anxious moments and tremendous saves by both sides, the game entered OT where the wide open play continued.
Following a Wedgewood save, Nagy grabbed the puck and skated down the right wing into the Florida zone. His shot from the circle deflected off an Everblades defender and right onto the stick of a trailing Ullrich. His wrister went five-hole on Madore and closed out a four point night for the former Tulsa Oiler (CHL) and South Carolina Stingray centerman.
No time to celebrate, as the Orlando SolarBears wait in the wings to host Trenton for the first time in its history. Faceoff will be at 7:00 pm tonight from the beautiful Amway Center in Orlando, FL (also home to the NBA's Orlando Magic). As always the game can be heard on AmericaOne.com, or through our flagship station 107.7 FM The Bronc (Trenton) and online at 1077theBronc.com. The Voice of the Titans, "The Bronc" Daryle Dobos, once again has all the action, beginning with the pregame at 6:45 pm.
AFTER THE WHISTLE
The Schulz hat trick is the third this year for a Titan. Andy Bohmbach (at Reading, 11/11/12) and Marcel Noebels (vs. Elmira, 12/1/12) also turned the "trick".
Ullrich's 4-point night is the first by a Titan since December 1, 2012, when Noebels had 3 goals and an assist in a 7-6 SOW over Elmira.
All four Titans OTW have ended within seconds. Noebels beat Reading (12/27/12) with a PPG in the first 26 seconds, while Bohmbach (Reading, 1/16/13), Derrick Pallis (LV, 1/25/13) and Ullrich each ended the game with under 30 seconds to play.
ECHL Stories from February 2, 2013
- Severyn Picks up Four Points to Lead Solar Bears to 6-4 Thriller over Titans - Orlando Solar Bears
- Jackals Freeze the IceMen - Elmira Jackals
- 'Blades Close Homestand with Loss to Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Glads, Domingue Shut Out South Carolina 3-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Fort Wayne, 7-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Road Warriors Trample Everblades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Fall to Gladiators 3-0 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Game in Kalamazoo Postponed - Wheeling Nailers
- K-Wings and Nailers Postponed - Kalamazoo Wings
- Titans GameDay at Orlando, February 2 - Game 46 (Away 23) - Trenton Titans
- Condors vs. Colorado - Cowboy Hat Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - February 2 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Idaho Steelheads - Stockton Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Titans Win Third Straight OT in Dramatic Fashion - Trenton Titans
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Trenton Titans - February 2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Gladiators Collide Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Roussel Becomes 493rd ECHL Player to Reach NHL - ECHL
- ECHL Today - February 2 - ECHL
- Greenham Can Save Condors in 3-1 Loss to Eagles - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Fold Aces in 5-4 Shootout Win - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Reign Skin Grizzlies with 6-5 Shootout Win - Ontario Reign
- Thunder outshoots Idaho 45-28, Toews scores winner in final minute - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Get Point in Last-Minute 5-4 Shootout Loss in Vegas - Alaska Aces
- Toews Tally Lifts Idaho to Key Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Rally from Down 3; Take 6-5 Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.