February 28, 2005 - ECHL (ECHL) - Trenton Devils
TRENTON, NJ - The Trenton Titans registered a 3-1-0 record over the week as one point now separates the top five teams in the North Division.
The Titans took the ice for their School Day Game on Wednesday morning and downed the Dayton Bombers 4-2. Trenton started their three-game, three-day weekend on the wrong foot falling to the Wheeling Nailers 4-1 at WesBacno Arena, but then rebounded with a 2-1 home victory over the Bombers on Saturday. The Titans completed their weekend on a high note on Sunday with a 3-2 shootout win against the Johnstown Chiefs.
The Titans have a light week of play as they host the Greenville Grrrowl on Friday at 7:00pm and then travel to Peoria to face the Rivermen on Sunday at 3:00pm.
The Trenton Titans are tied for third place in the North Division with the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies and Reading Royals and are just one point behind the Toledo Storm and Wheeling Nailers, who are tied for first place in the division.
LAST WEEK: 3-1-0
Wednesday, February 23 vs. Dayton W 4-2
Sovereign Bank Arena
- Nick Deschenes and Michael Chin each netted two goals at the Titans skated away with a 4-2 win over the Dayton Bombers. Deschenes lit the lamp in the first two periods, but the Bombers would twice rally from one-goal deficits. Chin put the game away with his two markers in the third.
Friday, February 25 @ Wheeling L 4-1
- The Wheeling Nailers continued their dominance of the Titans this season with a 4-1 triumph on Friday at WesBanco Arena. Ed McGranes goal in the first period and Evgeny Lazarevs tally in the second provided all the scoring the Nailers would need as Andy Chiodo stopped 33 of 34 Titans shots. Evan Nielsen provided the only marker for the Titans.
Saturday, February 26 vs. Dayton W 2-1
Sovereign Bank Arena
- In his first game with the Titans this season, Jeff Smith scored the game-winner as the Titans eked out a 2-1 victory against the Bombers. Deschenes continued his torrid pace putting the Titans up 1-0 in the first period for his 10th point (3g, 7a) in 6 games. Andrew Allen stopped 22 of 23 shots for his 17th win of the season.
Sunday, February 27 @ Johnstown W 3-2 (SO)
Cambria County War Memorial
- Scott Bertoli notched the game-tying goal with fifty seconds left in regulation and the game-clinching tally in the shootout for a 3-2 comeback triumph over the Johnstown Chiefs. Nick Deschenes put Trenton up early with his 12th of the season coming 1:39 in the game. Scott Dobben and Joe Tallari each netted goals in the opening frame as the Chiefs jumped to a 2-1 lead at the end of one. Andrew Allen turned away 35 for his third win in a row.
Friday, March 4 vs. Greenville, 7:30pm 91.3-FM WTSR
Sovereign Bank Arena
- The only contest of the year versus the Grrrowl. Greenville forward Carl Mallette is third in the ECHL in scoring with 62 points (22g, 40a), while the Grrrowl have the number one ranked penalty kill on the road (90.1%). Trenton trails the all-time series 2-3-2.
Sunday, March 6 @ Peoria, 3:00pm (CST) 1350 AM Moneytalk
- Game four out of seven versus the Rivermen. Alfie Michaud is 3-0-0 against the Titans this season with a .0.97 GAA and a .971 save percentage. The Titans trail the all-time series 5-8-3.
Tuesday, March 1 - Day off
Wednesday, March 2 - Practice @ Sovereign Bank Arena - 10:30am
Thursday, March 3 - Practice @ Iceland, Hamilton, NJ - 10:30am
Friday, March 4 - Pre-game skate @ Sovereign Bank Arena - 10:00am
Game vs. Greenville - 7:30pm
Leave for Peoria
Saturday, March 5 - Practice in Peoria - TBD - 1:00pm
Sunday, March 6 - No pre-game skate
Game @ Peoria - 3:00pm
Monday, March 7 - Day off
TITANS BROADCAST INFO:
Tune in as the voice of the Titans, Mike OBrien brings you all of the Titans hockey action on WHWH-Money Talk 1350 AM on Sunday through Thursday and WSTR-91.3 FM on Friday and Saturday. Fans can also watch or listen in on the Titans website, www.trentontitans.com.
B2 Networks also brings you live action for over 50 Titans hockey games. Go to www.trentontitans.com and click the Watch the Game Live icon to view and listen to the game. These broadcasts are available for a charge of $6 per game. A cable or DSL Internet connection and Windows Media Player 9 are required to view the games.
· Andrew Allen has only lost once in regulation in his last 10 decisions (8-1-1).
· Nick Deschenes is on a seven-game home scoring streak (4g, 6a) and has 11 points (4g, 7a) in his last eight games overall.
· Trenton is currently riding a season-high, four-game home winning streak.
· The Titans have yet to lose on the road in regulation when leading after any period.
· Trenton is 7-2-1 in their last 10 home games.
· Among ECHL rookies, Brent Robinson is eleventh in scoring with 39 points (15g, 24a).
In the Community:
· Along the Boards has been cancelled this evening due to inclement weather. Along the Boards returns at Hooters on Monday, March 21 at 7:00pm. Hooters is located in the Mercer Mall on Route 1 in Princeton, NJ. Along the Boards can be heard on Moneytalk 1350AM.
Read Across America
· Trenton Titans players will be visiting area schools to promote "Read Across America". The players will be reading to students at ten different in the Mercer County Area on Tuesday March 2 and Wednesday, March 3.
· On Friday night the Titans will wear one-of-a-kind, Hollywood Night-themed jerseys as they face the Greenville Grrrowl. Immediately following the game the Titans will be hosting their fifth annual Titans Jersey Auction, where fans will have a chance to bid on the jerseys worn by the Titans that evening. A portion of the proceeds from the auction will benefit local charities.
Goals: Scott Bertoli - 18
Assists: Scott Bertoli, Brent Robinson - 24
Points: Scott Bertoli - 42
Plus/Minus: Nick Deschenes - +16
PIM: Matt Zultek - 192
Wins: Andrew Allen - 18
GAA: Andrew Allen - 2.39
Save Pct.: Andrew Allen - .914
Record: 29-17-7, 65 pts (T-3rd, North Division)
Power Play: 40 for 241- 16.6% (13th)
Penalty Kill: 209 for 252 - 82.9% (15th)
02/22/2005 Delete MATT LIBBY (D) loaned to Syracuse (AHL)
02/23/2005 Add JOSH GRATTON (LW) assigned by Philadelphia (AHL)
02/23/2005 Add ROSARIO RUGGERI (D) assigned by Philadelphia (AHL)
02/24/2005 Add LEON HAYWARD (C) returned from Manchester(AHL)
02/24/2005 Delete JOSH GRATTON recalled to Philadelphia(AHL)
02/26/2005 Delete LYNN BEEDLE (F) waived
02/26/2005 Add MATT LIBBY (D) returned from Syracuse (AHL)
02/26/2005 Add DAVID PRINTZ (D) assigned by Philadelphia (AHL)
02/26/2005 Add JEFF SMITH (D) assigned by Philadelphia (AHL)
02/26/2005 Delete MATT ZULTEK (LW) placed on IR