TinCaps Sweep Weekly Awards, Castro Wins Pitcher of the Week Honors
Fort Wayne, IN - Fort Wayne TinCaps RHP Simon Castro was named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week and INF Allan Dykstra won Hitter of the Week honors Monday. Castro fired a seveninning no-hitter on Tuesday, the first in franchise history. Dykstra heated up at the plate to bat .500 for the week. This is the second time this month Castro was named Pitcher of the Week. He also won the award on August 3rd.
The 21-year-old Dominican faced just one batter over the minimum in his no-hitter Tuesday against the Dayton Dragons. The only blemish was a hit batsman in the 2nd inning. Castro struck out nine, tying a career high. He is the projected starter for Monday's game against Great Lakes. Dykstra, 22, went 9-for-18 at the plate with three doubles and two home runs during the week. He scored four runs, piled up five RBIs and drew six walks. The first-rounder has walked 95 times this year, a single-season franchise record. He has raised his average by 15 points during his current six-game hitting streak.
Fort Wayne players have now won nine Midwest League weekly awards. The TinCaps hold the best record in the full-season minor leagues at 85-41 (40-16 in the second half). They open an eight-game road swing through Michigan, beginning with tonight's 7:05pm tilt against the Great Lakes Loons (Class-A Los Angeles Dodgers) at Dow Diamond. Castro (8-6) goes to the hill against Great Lakes RHP Ethan Martin (5-7). The TinCaps return to Parkview Field for their final regular-season homestand beginning Wednesday, September 2nd. They play three games against Great Lakes, all beginning at 7:05pm. Fort Wayne will play at least one home playoff game, set for Thursday, September 10th at 7:05pm
Midwest League Stories from August 24, 2009
- Cougars win homestand opener in 10 - Kane County Cougars
- Whitecaps slip past Lugnuts, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Griffin drives in four in Bees victory - Burlington Bees
- Castro Escapes Trouble in 5-1 Win over Loons - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Townsend delivers two-run single as Kernels win, 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- That Stings: Bees strike out 15 Rattlers in 5-1 win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps outlast Lugnuts in opener - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs shut out River Bandits 2-0 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Singles add up to Hawks win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Big inning lifts South Bend to win in series opener - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps to welcome trio of '84 Tigers - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Sweep Weekly Awards, Castro Wins Pitcher of the Week Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- "Van Down by the River" Chosen as Finalist for Promotional Award - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday August 24th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.