TinCaps Fall at Peoria, Lose Third Straight
Peoria, IL -- The TinCaps lost, 4-1, against the Peoria Chiefs Monday night. With the loss, Fort Wayne was swept in a three-game series for the first time since July 7-9, 2012, at South Bend.
TinCaps starting pitcher Walker Weickel (0-1) had the longest start of his young career, as he tossed six innings to mark just the fourth time this season a Fort Wayne starter has finished the sixth. However, the Chiefs scored once off Weickel in the third, once in the fourth, and then in the seventh against left-handed reliever Chris Nunn tacked on two more.
Fort Wayne (16-13) scored its lone run in the top of the fourth frame. Third baseman Gabriel Quintana singled with two outs. First baseman Diego Goris then followed with a two-out double deep to right field to tie the game, 1-1, at the time. The TinCaps scored just two runs during the three-game series, enduring their first shutout loss Sunday afternoon.
Peoria (14-12) put up its first run in the third when Alex Mejia plated Casey Rasmus with a sacrifice fly. The Chiefs responded immediately to the TinCaps run in the fourth, with Patrick Wisdom's leadoff double followed by a Carson Kelley RBI single to put the home side ahead, 2-1. In the seventh, Rasmus scored again on a passed ball and Jacob Wilson drove in Breyvic Valera with a two-out single. The Chiefs' starter, Kyle Helisek (2-1), picked up the victory by allowing one run on four hits over five innings. Peoria did not walk a Fort Wayne batter.
Both Quintana and Corey Adamson had two hits in the game for the TinCaps.
After a day off on Tuesday, the TinCaps return to Parkview Field Wednesday morning to host the Great Lakes Loons at 11:05 in the opener of a three-game series. Joe Ross (3-0, 1.78 ERA) is set to start for Fort Wayne against Great Lakes' Ralston Cash (2-1, 3.42 ERA). The game can be seen on XFINITY Channel 81 and heard on The Fan Fort Wayne and TheFanFortWayne.com.
Midwest League Stories from May 6, 2013
- Kernels Power Past South Bend 12-4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Bring Out Brooms Against TinCaps - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Drop Homestand Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Four-Run Fifth Holds up in 6-4 Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Cain, Backed by Bats, Helps Bandits Take Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Fall at Peoria, Lose Third Straight - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers trip up Lugnuts, 6-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings Stymied by Ames in Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Henry Named Midwest League Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Ames Cruises in Career Outing, Hot Rods Win Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons 14-Hit Attack Keys Win over Kane County, 11-8 - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Win Streak Ends at 6 - Kane County Cougars
- Tyrell Jenkins Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Peoria Chiefs
- Bees Fall Short in 1-0 Loss - Burlington Bees
- Loons Lose Pitching Duel - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin edges Loons 3-1 to earn sweep - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Alex Muren joins Kernels from Extended Spring Training - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Homestand Notes May 8 - May 10 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.