October 20, 2008 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Albany River Rats
Albany, NY - The Times Union Center announced today new reduced prices for parking and concession at River Rats Hockey Games. In a joint announcement, officials from the Times Union Center, Albany County and the River Rats acknowledged concern for the overall cost for an evening\'s entertainment for a family.
"Cost reductions will make it more reasonable for families to attend the great competitive hockey at the Times Union Center," said Albany County Executive Mike Breslin. "In these tough financial times, it is important that families still have opportunities for affordable, quality entertainment."
"We have seen patrons parking 3 to 4 blocks away from the arena in order to save the $6 parking fee and they end up walking in the cold, rain and/or snow. By reducing the parking fee down to $3, we believe more people will park in the garage where it is attached to the arena with a direct third floor entrance. We know that most people are cutting back on the big vacations but they need good entertainment for their families at an affordable price. The Times Union Center would like to help Capital Region families take the kids out to see the Albany River Rats and feel good about our efforts to help their family budgets," stated Bob Belber, General Manager of the Times Union Center.
The following changes have been made effective immediately, and will continue through the Albany River Rats 2008 - 2009 season;
- Beginning immediately and extending for one year, the cost to park in the Times Union Center Parking Garage for River Rats games has been lowered by 50% from $6 per car to $3 per car. There will be no coupons, promotions or discounts accepted on the discounted rate.
- The Times Union Center Parking Garage will open a second exit located on the 3rd level of the garage. Currently there is an entrance only ramp into the garage on Market Street, with the help of Albany Police Department we will be able to open this entrance at the conclusion of all River Rats games to be used as an exit. The parking garage will have a staff member posted at this entrance directing those cars parked on level 3 and higher to exit out onto Market Street. Albany Police Department will have an officer on Market Street directing traffic up to the Empire State Plaza and immediately onto the ramp for 787. These changes will alleviate congestion in the parking garage at the conclusion of games.
2. Concessions: The following Food and Beverage Discounts & Specials will be in place effective immediately for all River Rats games:
- Wednesday Games - 4 for $40; 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs and 4 small sodas for $40.
- Friday Games - $1 hot dogs and $1 small sodas for all patrons
- Saturday Games - Free food item with the purchase of any beverage at the Capital Kitchen or Knickerbocker Grill concession stand on the concourse. Food items will include regular popcorn, hot dog, pretzel and peanuts and will be rotated throughout the season.
In addition to discounts for patrons in attendance, the River Rats will offer food packages for their groups. The Group Sales Package will be offered to groups of 10 or more and will consist of a "Snack Package" (regular popcorn and small soda) or "Meal Package" (hot dog and small soda) and will be offered at a heavily reduced priced.
"I am pleased that, based upon fan suggestions, SMG, Albany County and Aramark will be offering these discounts. The discounted concessions and parking will make it easier and more affordable for families as well as individual fans to attend our events. We will continue to do whatever we can to make the Albany River Rats and Firebirds fan experience fun and affordable." Said River Rats GM/President.CEO S. Garen Szablewski.
Discounted parking and concession prices will be offered beginning Wednesday when the River Rats take on Binghamton at 7pm at the Times Union Center.