Timbers Reserves Fall 1-0 to Rapids Reserves on the Road
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Portland Timbers Reserves were handed their first loss of the MLS Reserve League season on Sunday afternoon, falling 1-0 to the Colorado Rapids Reserves on a second-half goal by forward Danny Mwanga at Dick's Sporting Goods Park Field 20.
Both the Timbers Reserves and Rapids Reserves had several chances on goal in the first half, but it wasn't until the second half when the Rapids Reserves (1-1-0, 3pts) broke the deadlock. In the 50th minute, forward Atiba Harris flicked a ball to Davy Armstrong running down the right sideline. Armstrong then served the ball into the box to be headed in by Mwanga.
The Timbers Reserves (1-1-0, 3pts) had a chance to equalize in the 88th minute on a powerful shot from forward Jose Valencia, but Rapids goalkeeper Steward Ceus made the save and preserved the 1-0 victory.
The Timbers Reserves play host to USL PRO side VSI Tampa Bay FC in their MLS Reserve League home opener Sunday at 2 p.m. (Pacific) at JELD-WEN Field. Tickets, starting at $10, are available for purchase at the JELD-WEN Field box office and online at www.portlandtimbers.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 31, 2013
- Timbers Reserves Fall 1-0 to Rapids Reserves on the Road - Portland Timbers
- Miller scores but comeback effort falls short at the HDC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- First-Half Goals from Findley & Gil Give RSL Victory in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Defeats Vancouver, 2-1, to Extend Unbeaten Streak to Four - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Thorns FC Defeat University of Portland 2-1 - Portland Timbers
- Houston blanks Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo
- Seattle loses to Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Fall 2-0 on Road against Houston Dynamo - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.