Timbers Acquire Peruvian Winger Andy Polo
Polo joins Portland on loan from Liga MX side Monarcas Morelia
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers announced today that the club has acquired winger Andy Polo from Liga MX side Monarcas Morelia on loan for the 2018 MLS campaign, utilizing Targeted Allocation Money, with a purchase option. Polo will be added to the Timbers' roster pending a physical and receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 visa.
Polo, 23, signed with Morelia in January 2017 and appeared in 25 matches (6 starts), scoring two goals for the Mexican club. The Peruvian international made his Liga MX debut on Jan. 21, 2017, against Santos Laguna and recorded his first league goal in just his fourth match on Feb. 12, 2017.
"We are excited to add a young and talented attacking player in Andy Polo," said Gavin Wilkinson, general manager and president of soccer for the Timbers. "He has already proved himself at a young age in various leagues and at the international level, and we look forward to welcoming Andy and his family to Portland and MLS."
Prior to his arrival in Liga MX, Polo was on loan to Peruvian club Universitario from Milonarios in Columbia. Polo joined Milonarios in 2014 and played in 11 matches, registering two goals and two assists before moving to Universitario on loan beginning in March 2015. During two separate stints with Universitario, Polo featured in 92 matches across all competitions, recording 11 goals and 13 assists. Polo began his professional career with Universitario in 2011 before signing with Inter Milan in 2014.
"Andy is a versatile, young player who will add another element to our attack, and we believe that he has further upside to his development," said Giovanni Savarese, head coach of the Timbers. "Andy has strong technical ability and is able to stretch opponents and run in behind defenses. He will provide us with another quality option as a winger, and we are very pleased to add him to the team this season."
At the international level, Polo has earned 15 caps and scored one goal for the Peru Men's National Team since making his senior team debut in March 2016. Most recently, Polo helped Peru earn a berth in the 2018 World Cup, appearing in both matches of a two-game playoff against New Zealand on Nov. 10 and Nov. 15.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 17, 2018
- Philadelphia Union Sign MLS All-Star and MLS Goalkeeper of the Year Winner Andre Blake to New Multi- - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting KC Signs Zach Wright as Homegrown Player - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Peruvian Winger Andy Polo - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes to Participate in 2018 MLS SuperDraft in Philadelphia on Friday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Shawn Barry - Real Salt Lake
- TIMBERS TO OPEN PRESEASON TRAINING IN TUCSON - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Emrah Klimenta - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs Captain Kyle Beckerman to Multi-Year Contract - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.