Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from New York in Exchange for Midfielder Eric Alexander
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that the club has acquired allocation money from the New York Red Bulls in exchange for midfielder Eric Alexander. Per league and club policy, terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
"We would like to thank Eric for his service to the club, he was first class both on the field and in the community," said Gavin Wilkinson, Timbers general manager. "He was a tremendous part of the club during his two seasons in Portland, and we wish him well."
Alexander, 24, played in 24 matches (14 starts) for the Timbers last season, recording a career-high six assists and receiving the club's Unsung Hero award. He first joined the Timbers in a trade with FC Dallas on Aug. 19, 2011, and, in total, appeared in 30 games over his two seasons with Portland. A veteran of three MLS seasons, Alexander has played 69 matches, recording two goals and nine assists overall with FC Dallas (2010-11) and Portland (2011-12).
Major League Soccer Stories from February 11, 2013
- Chivas USA Set to Face L.A. Blues in Fifth Preseason Match - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- #RapidsJersey Unveiling to Take Place February 26 - Colorado Rapids
- Bright Dike Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Weekly Update - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- D.C. United Announces Promotional Schedule for 2013 Season - D.C. United
- San Jose Earthquakes, Visa to Celebrate 2012 Supporters' Shield Title on Opening Night - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Conclude Preseason with Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Sign Forward Chad Barrett, Defender Bilal Duckett - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Announces Preseason Friendly - Seattle Sounders FC
- Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band to Visit FC Dallas Stadium on May 4 - FC Dallas
- Red Bulls Acquire Midfielder Eric Alexander - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from New York in Exchange for Midfielder Eric Alexander - Portland Timbers
- Major League Soccer Unveils "Jersey Week" - MLS
- Revs Youth Players Make College - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Name Rafael GonzÃ¡lez Goalkeeper Coach - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.